What's new

Zapped Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Troy

New Around Here
Lightning must have hit my fiber demarcation box outside. It followed the wire for power in and took out the fiber transformer as well as following the ethernet wire and zapping my wan port on my router. I am looking for recommendations for a router or internet gateway with the following qualifications.

I would also like to hear what people are using for the Ethernet connection coming in from outside for lightning protection.

High security
OpenVPN
Dynamic DNS
High bandwidth to be able to handle 4k security cameras
If router with wifi have the ability to turn radios off

I currently use the Amada AC1750 for Wi-Fi and have had great luck with thanks to recommendations from other users on here. I would like to continue with using this wireless solution, but I am also not against a mesh recommendation that satisfies all the above.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

i use two things - a whole house lighting surge arrestor attached to the breaker box, UPSs for critical network and computers. The latter have MOVs to absorb some excess current between all power conductors, Neutral, and Ground.

Unless you received a direct hit, you may have seen a ground potential elevation that resulted in equipment damage.

posted about a similar issue a few days ago https://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-new-router-check-your-coax-ground-line.79679/#post-774878

Prior to entering the home the fiber demarcation box must be grounded. Usually this is by running a line to the home ground rod. If your not comfortable doing this call your fiber company and insist they fix it as it should have been done at install.

A belt & suspenders approach would be to run the line through a UPS - that has inputs for COAX or Ethernet depending on what your network is using - before it goes to modem then router.

posted about a similar issue a few days ago https://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-new-router-check-your-coax-ground-line.79679/#post-774878

Prior to entering the home the fiber demarcation box must be grounded. Usually this is by running a line to the home ground rod. If your not comfortable doing this call your fiber company and insist they fix it as it should have been done at install.

A belt & suspenders approach would be to run the line through a UPS - that has inputs for COAX or Ethernet depending on what your network is using - before it goes to modem then router.
Just be sure the Ethernet jack is rated for more than 100 Mbps. The one on my UPS isn't

A better option might to purchase an Ethernet surge protector and put it on the line between your modem and router. They are available to handle gig speeds. While you are shopping you can also buy a surge protector for the coaxial line running into you home. I have one screwed directly onto the ground block in my demarc.