What's new

Adding two XT9 ZenWiFi to an existing AiMesh network based on CT8 ZenWiFi - is it possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TomTiddler167

New Around Here
So, I have an existing AiMesh network, the WiFi portion is base on a pair of CT8 units. I use wired backhaul for most of it, but not all (there are 3 non-wired Lyra's used). I want to add a pair of XT9's and make use of the 802.11ax, but not entirely sure how to accomplish it. Anyone have clues?

Replace the CT8s with the XT9s, and replace the Lyras with the CT8s?

I have a pair of XT8s which won't do DFS on the 5-1 radio, which is just about the biggest difference between them and the XT9s.

I recommend XT9 as router wired to XT9 as AP. You can mesh a CT8 off each one (if even needed) and have better individual radio control than using one big mesh.

It's fairly well-reported that AIMesh has issues if the remote nodes have more-capable radios than the base unit. Apparently, the configuration GUI only shows you options for the base unit and you have no way to configure the extra abilities of the nodes.

In this case, you might get away with making one XT9 be the base, but I'm pretty sure CT8 as base with XT9s as nodes will not be a great experience.

TBH, I wonder why you think you need four or five APs at all. That's a lot of wifi, with a lot of opportunity for cross-AP interference. Are you covering an enormous area, or perhaps you have very non-wifi-friendly interior walls?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!