What's new

ZyXEL AC2200 MU-MIMO Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
zyxel_nbg6815_teaser.jpg
ZyXEL's AC2200 MU-MIMO Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router is a one-of-a-kind MU-MIMO router, and not in a good way.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Wait a minute... Someone decided in 2016 to release a new router based on the Quantenna QSR1000, despite the fact that every other products based on that chipset has proven to be a failure? I'm confused...

Wait a minute... Someone decided in 2016 to release a new router based on the Quantenna QSR1000, despite the fact that every other products based on that chipset has proven to be a failure? I'm confused...

Odd to see... but interesting that it's shipping with MU-MIMO firmware... obviously interoperability is going to be key for them.

Quantenna has taken a lot of flak in the consumer space - but at the same time, they've done pretty well in vertical applications.

Odd to see... but interesting that it's shipping with MU-MIMO firmware... obviously interoperability is going to be key for them.

MU-MIMO has been available from QTN for a few months now. It's been available in recent beta Asus firmwares as well. It would have been stranger if they had opted to release a new router using a 6+ months old driver without MU-MIMO rather.

They probably got a good deal on the hardware, or thought that if people are exposed to it enough times,they will grow to like and demand it.

The problem with this review is comparing to routers costing much more than its price. I got this router for $99 and at that price it's a bargain - I don't care if it doesn't match up to an ASUS RT-87AC router. Surprisingly, the biggest performance gain has been in the Gigabit wired performance - it doubled the performance of my ASUS RT-AC56U. If you can get it for $99 it doesn't matter if holds up against the other AC2200/2300/2600 routers since it's 50% of the price of those other routers.

They probably got a good deal on the hardware, or thought that if people are exposed to it enough times,they will grow to like and demand it.

My DirectTV wireless video bridge (OEM'ed by Linksys of all folks, these days Wistron makes them direct) is based on QTN... works fine for the limited application that it does...

Sorry to bump an old thread but there is a minor typo on the first page of this NBG6815 review. Would you please change "Table 1 below summarizes the key components of the NBG6816 as well as two AC2350 class routers." to NBG6815?

Also, Table 1 has a column labeled ZyXEL NBG8615 instead of ZyXEL NBG6815

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!