What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This on 2.4 or 5 GHz?

Did you reset router defaults and re-enter configuration after upgrade?

Changes in this firmware seem to dictate that you need to start fresh with configuration.

Nah, for me it works and I never re-entered my config. I just upgrade the fw and it works fine.

What benefit would I get out of using the internal microsd slot ( since it seems Tomato is able to make use of it) ?

Well I installed Optware and then a PPTP server. Tomato use OpenVPN by default (which is great) but I needed PPTP also.
I also have all log files written to the microsd, to avoid wear and tear of the NVRAM.
I am very happy they didn't remove that card slot from the router.
I guess the benefits of having a sdcard in the router is limitless.
Ofcourse you can achieve the same thing with an external pen drive, but I think it's much nicer to have it built in since it's not a good idea to remove a unit that you installed stuff on.
And you have two free USB ports for other stuff.

Here is a good place to get more info about Optware on routers.
http://tomatousb.org/doc:optware

Last edited:
Nah, for me it works and I never re-entered my config. I just upgrade the fw and it works fine.

Yes but from what firmware?

There are people who, when upgrading from 90 or earlier firmware, have issues with 108 unless they reset defaults after the flash.

I was on .96 and just updated to .108, but after about 3.5 days of uptime on .96 I woke up to no working internet. Looking at the router log it was filled with:

kernel: VFS: file-max limit 25156 reached
etc.

Has anyone else seen this? I upgraded to 108 so I hope the issue magically goes away, but so far I have no clue what may have been causing it. I have the router pretty much at basic setup.

I am having a problem with wireless N streaming from my HDHomeRun Prime to my laptop. I know that HD streaming can be hit or miss on wireless depending on hardware, environment ect., but what has me confused is that on either band I get lots of pixelation and audio stuttering on wireless N but if I limit the 2.4 GHz band to G only it streams perfectly. I seem to get a little more stability using .90 than either tomato, .102 and .108 on N, but don't know whether wireless N has an inherent increase in instability (whether limited to 20 or full 40 Hz) when compared to G while streaming video or whether I have some sort of hardware issues with my router that I should be concerned about. Of course my return period at Frys is past. Any insight would be great since my wife is getting sick of the tv always being down as I play with this trying to get it dialed in.

I think my throughput issue has to do with the fact there are 12 other wireless networks in range from the PC I am testing on.

I changed my 2.4 band to channel 1 instead of auto and I have my speed back.

Does anyone know how to change the date on this router mine is stuck on Jan 1 2011 on stock fw

LOL, the date changes when connected to the internet, that is done by NTP Servers.

Does anyone know how to change the date on this router mine is stuck on Jan 1 2011 on stock fw

Go to "System" under "Adminstration" and set your time zone. I just had to switch to manual daylight saving time to get daylight saving time to kick in, and get the router clock advanced an hour. It did work, though.

I'm still looking for the right NTP Server entry that will automatically take care of daylight saving time for California.

LOL, the date changes when connected to the internet, that is done by NTP Servers.

This is a good one. I have the RT-N66U running .108 [received it new with .96] as a WAP only, connected to a MoCa ActionTec router from Verizon with the wireless turned off. I will put the RT-N66U in front of the AT when the ASUS f/w gets a more stable version... or maybe try Tomato, or wait for DD-WRT, who knows...

Anyway, with the config above, my smartphone [HTC EVO] is pulling my "local" weather from Suzhou China! I cannot change this in the router. I tried changing the NTP Internet Server to: time-a.nist.gov, no luck updating....

Go to "System" under "Adminstration" and set your time zone. I just had to switch to manual daylight saving time to get daylight saving time to kick in, and get the router clock advanced an hour. It did work, though.

I'm still looking for the right NTP Server entry that will automatically take care of daylight saving time for California.

I changed the NTP Server to "0.north-america.pool.ntp.org", but then was reading that NTP Servers only serve UTC (GMT), so the router OS itself would have to make the daylight saving time adjustment. The router is clearly capable of converting UTC to my local time zone, but apparently doesn't know about how daylight saving time currently works. So, "manual daylight saving time" looks like what I'll be doing until I discover a better way *smile*.

I am having a problem with wireless N streaming from my HDHomeRun Prime to my laptop. I know that HD streaming can be hit or miss on wireless depending on hardware, environment ect., but what has me confused is that on either band I get lots of pixelation and audio stuttering on wireless N but if I limit the 2.4 GHz band to G only it streams perfectly. I seem to get a little more stability using .90 than either tomato, .102 and .108 on N, but don't know whether wireless N has an inherent increase in instability (whether limited to 20 or full 40 Hz) when compared to G while streaming video or whether I have some sort of hardware issues with my router that I should be concerned about. Of course my return period at Frys is past. Any insight would be great since my wife is getting sick of the tv always being down as I play with this trying to get it dialed in.

What wireless device are you using? Did you try a different laptop?

I changed the NTP Server to "0.north-america.pool.ntp.org", but then was reading that NTP Servers only serve UTC (GMT), so the router OS itself would have to make the daylight saving time adjustment. The router is clearly capable of converting UTC to my local time zone, but apparently doesn't know about how daylight saving time currently works. So, "manual daylight saving time" looks like what I'll be doing until I discover a better way *smile*.

Looks like it is a bug in the stock firmware.

I installed Tomato to test NTP and it works fine with Tomato with all servers I tested.

Attachments

• NTP.JPG
    NTP.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 302
It should work, maybe FW issue? Are you using OFW? Shibby? Toastman?

i am using asus firmware 108 and i set ntp but nothing im stuck in 2011, for some reason wireless does not work well what so ever on shibby or toastmans firmware, and i tried with the same wireless settings on all firmwares

Yes but from what firmware?

There are people who, when upgrading from 90 or earlier firmware, have issues with 108 unless they reset defaults after the flash.

Since I bought it, and it was loaded with the broken fw.

Status
Not open for further replies.