What's new

Off-topic posts from ASUS RT-N66U thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Not a bad router - lots of comments here are good...

Don't forget the Apple Airport Extreme - not as feature rich as some of the other N900 routers, but infinitely more stable...

No just on the fact I'm on my at least 4th iPod replacement.
Also everytime i'm in the Apple Store I see a long line at the genies bar; most of witch are hardware related.

No just on the fact I'm on my at least 4th iPod replacement.
Also everytime i'm in the Apple Store I see a long line at the genies bar; most of witch are hardware[/] related.

And the iPhone is the #1 smart phone in the world. But what does this have to do with Apple routers. I right now am typing on a 9 year old iBook G4 and it runs like new.. Go Figure!

Asus just does not have a "genies bar" to see how many people would be standing in that line.

In addition, iPods take allot of user abuse. They just don't sit on a desk like a router. But I am sure yours is treated like it is made of egg shells...ya right!

Last edited:
Not as much as half. You can go online and look at PC component reliability. Asus leads the way. Also I'm not doubting the iPhone's success. I love iOS products. But I also recognize they have really crappy quality control. I haven't ever gone through as many defective products as I did with Apple.
You might not be aware of this because you didn't ever run into a problem. You have to look at the market as a whole.

On a completely unrelated note. There closed products really piss me off. That's why people are always trying to hack their sh!t all the time.

Last edited:
But I also recognize they have really crappy quality control.

Apple user here, for 30 years. I did not discover Apple as many with the advent of the iPod and iPhone. Your poor quality control statement in regards to Apple is unsubstantiated and unfounded. Many apple products last a decade and more. Apple routers do not have owners waiting months for updates to fix firmware problems, as for the most part one update and they are good to go. There is no more stable retail home router than a Airport Extreme, period. The best part is while Best Buy receive constant come backs on other brand routers, they do not see that with the Apple Airport. Ask your local Best Buy manager and he will give you religion....

I have owned a household of Apple products for 30 years, and dependability has never been a question. But then I don't take my routers jogging and to the beach, or beat the crap out of them as I see owners of iPhones and iPods do. I have seen peoples brand new iPhones so neglected that they look years old, and then they cry when they fail.

Last edited:
I'm good on asking any best buy manager (this made no sense).
It's perfectly possible that you have gotten Apple products in the past that weren't defective and were stable. I have to. But I've also have gotten defective ones.

Not to mention. They can't keep up with the range and throughput of their competitors. I'm sure the RT-N66u provides faster routing throughput and better range.

Another side note is if you lean over the customer service counter at Best Buy you'll see mostly Netgear.

**^^Another note to your edit. I take grade A care of my electronics.

Last edited:
I'm good on asking any best buy manager (this made no sense).
Not to mention. They can't keep up with the range and throughput of their competitors. I'm sure the RT-N66u provides faster routing throughput and better range.

Another side note is if you lean over the customer service counter at Best Buy you'll see mostly Netgear.

Why ask a Best Buy manager? They will tell you that they rarely see a return of an Airport Extreme do to failure (failure would equal poor quality control). Your statement was in regards to quality control, not range and speed. Most consumers are not like us, they are not looking for maximum speed, they just don't want the wife and kids crying that the internet is down again. Stability is the #1 complaint I read about routers on the net. For the majority of owners, the speed and range of the Airport Extreme (5th Generation) will be sufficient. Just set it and forget it and your family will be very happy that daddy does not have to reboot the router again....

Last edited:
We'll I can't speak for a router I have not ever owned. Stability should be #1 in a router.
But based on my previous experience with other Apple products, I don't want to.

Plus I don't know about you but I wouldn't want everything in my house Apple.

Last edited:
Plus I don't know about you but I wouldn't want everything in my house Apple.

Ya, you can't even imagine 30 years of no viruses, no spyware or adware, and no need for additional products to protect from such. No waiting years for Microsoft to develop an operating system as stable and trouble free as Apple OS X (still waiting). Computers that never need rebooting to get speed and stability back. No registry entries to clean, no disc defrags. Yep, you can't even imagine...

Windows boxes sell to the masses not because they are better, more dependable or stable, just cheaper. Many Windows boxes are a "throw away when done", and an Apple Computer is an investment.

Last edited:
We'll first of all I've had my Windows 7 install running for over a year with no antivirus and none of any of that. Nobody is immune to malware. Even you on a mac. But I'm a sophisticated user enough I don't have to worry about that. If something comes across something, I'll just reformat.

Also with the comment on defragging. Automatic defrag scheduling is built into windows 7. I virtually don't ever have to worry about defraging. Also if you get a SSD in a future PC you don't have to worry about it at all.

I respect almost all OS's. Some are stronger in other areas than others. Some of my geekiest friends own macs. Just stating the facts.

**Another note on registry. Don't think mac's don't have any problems in the same manor. When you "throw a program in the recycle bin" without using a uninstall program it can leave plist files behind commonly. Also you have both 32 and 64 bit binary's commonly bundled in programs you download.
I can go on for at least another 2 hours.

Last edited:
Not as much as half. You can go online and look at PC component reliability. Asus leads the way. Also I'm not doubting the iPhone's success. I love iOS products. But I also recognize they have really crappy quality control. I haven't ever gone through as many defective products as I did with Apple.
You might not be aware of this because you didn't ever run into a problem. You have to look at the market as a whole.

On a completely unrelated note. There closed products really piss me off. That's why people are always trying to hack their sh!t all the time.

This is a pretty childish comment. I am a Sr Network (Data and Voice) Architect and now work exclusively using MacBooks. I migrated from Windows to Mac four years ago, and every day I praise God for Steve Jobs. I see how my co-workers struggle with their Windows PCs as I am still recovering from two decades of nightmarish experience with Windows - both at work and at home. I have no more Windows machines left, and I do not have words to express how liberated I feel not having to struggle with Windows daily instead of doing my job.

I have not yet encountered a defective Apple product - I own or have owned MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, iPads, iPhones, iPods, Apple TV, etc. Apple rates way above any other computer company in customer satisfaction with quality and support. So, I have no idea where you are coming from.

Mac OS X is a Unix flavor pretty close to Linux. In fact, Mac OS X and Linux are cousins. The difference is that when you get a Mac, everything works out of the box. If you are a consumer, you never drop to the shell. If you are a Unix or Linux pro, you feel right at home when you open Terminal. There is absolutely no comparison between Windows (even Windows 7) and Mac OS X. I have done Windows long enough to know.

If you want to stick with Windows, it’s your choice, but saying that Apple hardware is unreliable is disingenuous. Apple makes absolutely the best quality computers. Go to Best Buy and try to find a laptop that would match a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. All other manufacturers put out cheap plastic crap. Asus “unibody” laptops are a pathetic knockoff of a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. The plastic Windows-running crap costs just a few hundred dollars cheaper than a unibody Apple laptop put together from the best parts. Apple hardware is a masterpiece of industrial engineering and high-quality materials and components. And the Mac OS X operating system is in a league of its own - nothing comes close.

Even though Linux is a solid platform for servers, unless you are a professional Linux or Unix admin, you will end up running either Windows or Mac OS as your desktop OS. Linux lags years behind Windows and Mac OS when it comes to consumer related functionality - multimedia, printing, scanning, file sharing, photo editing, video editing, etc. An average technically inclined consumer will not justify spending hundreds of hours trying to set up a Linux system to do what Apple and Windows do out right out of the box.

To sum it all up: when it comes to the reliability of hardware and software as well as design and build quality, there’s absolutely nothing on the market that can touch Apple at this time.

Last edited:
This is a pretty childish comment. I am a Sr Network (Data and Voice) Architect and now work exclusively using MacBooks. I migrated from Windows to Mac four years ago, and every day I praise God for Steve Jobs. I see how my co-workers struggle with their Windows PCs as I am still recovering from two decades of nightmarish experience with Windows - both at work and at home. I have no more Windows machines left, and I do not have words to express how liberated I feel not having to struggle with Windows daily instead of doing my job.

I have not yet encountered a defective Apple product - I own or have owned MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, iPads, iPhones, iPods, Apple TV, etc. Apple rates way above any other computer company in customer satisfaction with quality and support. So, I have no idea where you are coming from.

Mac OS X is a Unix flavor pretty close to Linux. In fact, Mac OS X and Linux are cousins. The difference is that when you get a Mac, everything works out of the box. If you are a consumer, you never drop to the shell. If you are a Unix or Linux pro, you feel right at home when you open Terminal. There is absolutely no comparison between Windows (even Windows 7) and Mac OS X. I have done Windows long enough to know.

If you want to stick with Windows, it’s your choice, but saying that Apple hardware is unreliable is disingenuous. Apple makes absolutely the best quality computers. Go to Best Buy and try to find a laptop that would match a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. All other manufacturers put out cheap plastic crap. Asus “unibody” laptops are a pathetic knockoff of a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. The plastic Windows-running crap costs just a few hundred dollars cheaper than a unibody Apple laptop put together from the best parts. Apple hardware is a masterpiece of industrial engineering and high-quality materials and components. And the Mac OS X operating system is in a league of its own - nothing comes close.

Even though Linux is a solid platform for servers, unless you are a professional Linux or Unix admin, you will end up running either Windows or Mac OS as your desktop OS. Linux lags years behind Windows and Mac OS when it comes to consumer related functionality - multimedia, printing, scanning, file sharing, photo editing, video editing, etc. An average technically inclined consumer will not justify spending hundreds of hours trying to set up a Linux system to do what Apple and Windows do out right out of the box.

To sum it all up: when it comes to the reliability of hardware and software as well as design and build quality, there’s absolutely nothing on the market that can touch Apple at this time.
We'll I disagree with you. Your facts are wrong besides the pont. Mac OS X is actually based off FreeBSD. Your just wrong. I'm not lieing when I say I've went though numerous Apple products. They just seem to have a very high level of defect / quality control. Also I don't know what your talking about. I'm a professional user. I don't know what kinds of stuff your co workers are doing on their workstations but I certainly don't have a constant struggle. Just putting the true facts out there. Your wrong.

We'll I disagree with you. Your facts are wrong besides the pont. Mac OS X is actually based off FreeBSD. Your just wrong. I'm not lieing when I say I've went though numerous Apple products. They just seem to have a very high level of defect / quality control. Also I don't know what your talking about. I'm a professional user. I don't know what kinds of stuff your co workers are doing on their workstations but I certainly don't have a constant struggle. Just putting the true facts out there. Your wrong.

It's true that Mac OS has origins in FreeBSD, but the kernel is different - it's a Mach kernel. Linux is actually the kernel - not the entire OS. The entire OS is actually called GNU/Linux. GNU was created as a project to re-write Unix utilities from scratch to get away from law suits that AT&T hit BSD with. When GNU developers created the entire suite of Unix-like utilities, they needed a kernel. They shopped around and actually considered Mach as a kernel, but decided to go with Linux instead. Mac OS X, on the other hand, has integrated many GNU utilities just like various GNU/Linux distros. That's the reason I said that Mac OS X and Linux are cousins. Among commercial Unix flavors, Mac OS X is the closest one to GNU/Linux because GNU is a suite of re-written BSD utilities, Mac OS X is based on BSD, and on top of this, Mac OS X has integrated many GNU utilities developed after GNU partnered with Linux.

If AT&T had not sued BSDi in the late 1980s early 1990s, BSD would have been what GNU/Linux is today. When AT&T dropped its law suit against BSDi in 1992, the developers of the GNU project already integrated the Linux kernel, so it was late for BSD to compete with GNU/Linux, and BSD development ceased. It was Steve Jobs's new company that picked up where BSD left off, replaced the kernel with Mach, added many GNU utilities, and created NeXT, from which Mac OS X developed.

Last edited:
I clicked in this thread to see what "Off-topic posts from ASUS RT-N66U thread" is about, and I see this PC vs Mac argument. Classic.

Keep arguing for one side and people end up sounding like fanboys. There are pros and cons to each. If there was an absolute winner, the discussion wouldn't exist in the first place would it? Why not just appreciate the pros each have to offer? And just because the pros of one does not apply to you specifically, doesn't mean it has no pros.

P.S. I've PC's and Mac's and iPhones and Android phones in the family and they all work great. Yes, even a Windows XP desktop which I last formatted in 2005 thanks to a Western Digital HDD dying on me, running on an Athlon XP processor! There are things I'd on the PC vs the Mac and vice versa, same with the iPhone vs Android. Love them all though.

Apple routers do not have to wait for months to update to fix a firmware problem, in most cases, an update to the owners and they are good to go. There are no more than the airport extreme, during a more stable retail home router.

100% correct. While others by other brands and wait and wait for a firmware that is stable and all the features work (rt-n66u). Airport Extreme is rock solid and all the features work. Just no one will never convince the anti-Apple egg heads, and it has always been that way. If Apple put out unstable products, the naysayers would be all over them. It is kind of like the occupy wall street goofs who will vote for Obama in 2012, even though he has taken more money from wall street for his campaign than any president in history.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!