What's new

2.4 G radio inop under 380.67 in RT-AC3200?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Howard_inGA

2.4 G radio is inop as of tonight. 5 G is working as usual, but I'm wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem on the RT-AC3200. I have had 380.67 installed and working from the release date, so I'm not sure what happened.
I tried a factory reset, loading the ASUS firmware, and am back to Merlin. Still no 2.4 G.
How would I trouble shoot the issue effectively. Ideas? When I do the site survey, I see some 2.4g nets, but my router is not generating anything.

I'm having the same issue for about a week now and im still waiting for someone who.has a fix for this issue. The 2.4ghz radio is on but the light for the 2.4ghz is off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Have you tried a full electrical reset? Turn router off at mains, press power button at back to turn on and discharge anything, turn off again, replug to mains and boot.

If a factory reset did not fix the issue i highly doubt draining the caps and restarting is going to do anything. :rolleyes:

To the OP have you tried the latest stock Asus firmware? The latest version is very stable and has good reports. In some cases and including myself it seems to run better then Merlins latest build were people are reporting radio failures.
Factory reset doesn't drain the power for any significant amount of time. Humour me and try anyway. If it doesn't work you've wasted 5 minutes and can rule it out.

If a factory reset did not fix the issue i highly doubt draining the caps and restarting is going to do anything. :rolleyes:

To the OP have you tried the latest stock Asus firmware? The latest version is very stable and has good reports. In some cases and including myself it seems to run better then Merlins latest build were people are reporting radio failures such as yourself. I can't figure out why this happens to some and not others but i think there is some kinda issue here for sure.
P.s. Op states they tried asus firmware...

P.s. Op states they tried asus firmware...
My lights are on for both 2.4g & 5g, site survey is still showing 2.4g signals (not from my router!), and the 'Tools' item shows the operating temp on the 2.4g radio as 40C-normal. Tried the electrical reset to no avail. Other ideas?

My lights are on for both 2.4g & 5g, site survey is still showing 2.4g signals (not from my router!), and the 'Tools' item shows the operating temp on the 2.4g radio as 40C-normal. Tried the electrical reset to no avail. Other ideas?
Are all clients failing to connect, or just some?

Mine was different, when i check the temp it says 2.4ghz is diabled but when i checked the radio its on. Weird

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If after a factory default reset AND an electrical reset you still have the 2.4 GHz radio showing as disabled then it means the router is defective.

If after a factory default reset AND an electrical reset you still have the 2.4 GHz radio showing as disabled then it means the router is defective.
Merlin, I think you may be right about Prince, but my issue is different. The 2.4G is monitoring up, not disabled. It is seeing other available 2.4G nets, but is not generating its own. Only thing, I will occasionally get a momentary blip of 2.4g radio on and functioning for a few seconds, usually after a reboot. Then, I get nothing...
I think I'm gonna order an AC5300 to replace this one. Last chance for ASUS and me. I sure hope this one is more reliable that the old 3200!

Last edited:
Merlin, I think you may be right about Prince, but my issue is different. The 2.4G is monitoring up, not disabled. It is seeing other available 2.4G nets, but is not generating its own. Only thing, I will occasionally get a momentary blip of 2.4g radio on and functioning for a few seconds, usually after a reboot. Then, I get nothing...
I think I'm gonna order an AC5300 to replace this one. Last chance for ASUS and me. I sure hope this one is more reliable that the old 3200!
So, here's the latest:
Last night I was doing a multi TB write to an archive disk. It was getting hot, so I put a small electrical fan in place to cool it down during the write. Ancillary air flowed over the router, temps declined about 1C and the 2.4G radio came back on. By then, I'd already set an old 2.4G router as an AP, so had the function somewhat restored. Now I have 2 distinct 2.4g signals. Transmitter temp is now 39C, and the signal has been steady for hours.
It is illuminating to note that this router had an overtemp failure of the same transmitter when it was about 3 weeks old. I added a usb fan blowing up through the router, and it has remained trouble free till now. HEAT is the enemy, and the 3200 doesn't provide for that in its design!!
I am still going to replace it with the 5300 since I need a dead cold reliable router....But I don't like it one bit!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!