1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

2nd GT-5300 WiFi issues

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by chrismsales, Aug 9, 2018.

1. chrismsales

chrismsales Occasional Visitor

My first ROG GT-AC5300 started dropping 5Ghz channels about 3-months after purchase. After multiple factory resets and dealing with tech support, they finally RMA'd for me and sent me a replacement. The replacement has been solid for 60-days and now all of a sudden the 2.4Ghz channel started acting goofy a few weeks ago and all of my smart devices and Hub using that channel were dropping. Each time I could see the 2.4 channel but when trying to join it I would get a wrong password message, even though I was using the correct password. After a reboot all devices and hub would go back online with no issues.

Today the 5Hhz channel started doing the same thing. I did a reboot a few times with no luck, I would have a hard wire connection but no WiFi connections at all on all channels. I had to plug my old router in just to get online this afternoon.

Has anyone else had this problem with this unit? I did a firmware update earlier this week to the most recent version but for two units to start doing the same thing is very strange. This is a beast of a router but it's starting to become a real pain in the arse to mess with. I have a Geek Squad warranty from Best Buy but they no longer carry this model so if I wanted to replace it would have to be with something else.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. chrismsales

chrismsales Occasional Visitor

So I left the router unplugged for 48-hours and then fired up this am and did a hard reset. After resetting the wifi networks all seems to be ok but the latest firmware update is still on the router. I called tech support and they had me send them the logs and are having someone escalate to get back in touch with me.

I noticed another post on here about issues with the 2.4 radio showing available but not allowing devices to connect. Since this is my second GT-AS5300, wondering if this is some sort of hardware defect that this model has. Anyone else with the GT-AC5300 experiencing the same issues with their 2.4 Ghz radio disconnecting?