What's new

3 RT-AC5300's upgraded(384.45149) quickly downgraded(384.32799)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jim Kirk

Occasional Visitor
See signature for my RT-AC5300 configuration.

This reference thread
also describes RT-AC5300 upgrade issues:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac5300-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-384-45149.50244/

I have about 25 wired clients and 15 wireless. Before the upgrade, I was set up with a 2.4GHz and two 5GHz bands set up as Smart Connect.
  • I upgraded on a W10 x64 PC using the router Web UI. No problems all 3 upgraded fine and I could see all both nodes and Parent had 45189. I had 3 separate bands as described in the reference thread. Two usable and 1 inaccessible.
  • I then checked iPhone XS max speedtest app while close to each node. Both getting 400-500 Mbps DN and >300 Mbps UP. Looking good at nodes.
  • Then, I checked speedtest at Parent. OMG. 20-50 Mbps UP and about same DN. Sometimes worse. Really bad. Before 45189 I tested as good with my speeds as I was getting at each node.
After the upgrade I had the a 2.4 band, a usable 5 band and a no longer accessible 5 band. Exactly as described in the thread I referenced.

So, besides having one of the 5G bands taken from me by the 45149 FW my Parent was hopelessly slow.

I figured here goes my day and I decided to restore everything back to 32799. Not so, took only about 1/2 hr working from Web GUI with complete success.

1. I first loaded FW 32799 for the two nodes from the Web UI Administration>FW. Each node rebooted automatically and after each reboot, I refreshed the Parent Web UI interface and it showed 32799.
  2. I then loaded 32799 for the Parent. I rebooted the parent manually and I could access the Web UI. 32799 was on Parent and both nodes.
  3. I had 3 bands with one of the 5G having "_dwb" still at the end of the SID. 5G Smart connect was not on in Wireless>General so I set in back on with a single SID.
  4. Amazingly, all worked well and speeds now all back to normal.
As LIMJK asked in the reference thread and I strongly second this:

"Asus, please give me back my Tri-band - Thank You!"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!