What's new

3 VOIP users, 3 standard HD video users, 1 Twitch game streamer, and a router newbie.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itchyscratchy

Occasional Visitor
I have a 940/40 Xfinity package, an ASUS RT-86u, and a NETGEAR CM1000,which has been great for my mother and I. My younger sib will be making extended stays, and when there, my network can have 12+ devices, all but two on the wifi radios.

The sib loves to Face Time and Youtube, mom loves Netflix and browse, and I like to game and dual pc stream on Twitch. Game latency spikes from 30-40ms to 170ms, then the Twitch stream (OBS 1080@60 6000kbps) pixelates or freezes when my family starts getting antisocial (says the gamer...? o_O) and video streaming on a couple devices, or when Face Time is added to the mix.

I have tried Bandwidth Limiting on MAC addresses, and made the family a bit grumpy... not to mentioned it slowed down the whole network. I also tried the adaptive QoS and the fq_CoDel option, and still had problems in-game and with stream. Portforwarding, DHCP IP reservations, and firmware updates haven't helped. Both wired PCs are running on their onboard Intel I219v NICs via CAT7 stp cables (did I get swindled on these cables?).

I can't get a fatter pipe, so is there something I am doing wrong or not doing? Do I need better/more hardware? Something else consumer level I haven't tried? I've tried an ASUS GT-AC5300 and that thing was dropping its second 5GHz band all the time, and I don't really much care for NETGEAR routers. Willing to learn my way around Linux, considering some MikroTik or Ubiquiti routers, APs, and switches. I can also use the 86u in AP mode with something else AFAIK.

Last edited:
I'll put Merlin on and try running FreshJR's Adaptive QoS script. Maybe I'm just over-policing my QoS or things arent being categorized right.

I groped the walls through JFresh's QoS scripts and got a neat result!

86u Buffer quiet.png

Mom's PC. Gigabit cable via wifi to desktop integrated AC radios. fq_CoDel. Not too shabby, but can I get this over copper with 12 wifi devices?? :(

Last edited:
You are trying too many things.

If bufferbloat is your only issue, then just bandwidth limit just the upload of the WAN by 1-5% and test, repeat ad nauseum, until bufferbloat is no longer an issue.

Once that is fixed, you can experiment with doing the same with fq_codel which should permit a higher upload than whatever Asus stock/Merlin default uses because it is more efficient.

You are trying too many things.

If bufferbloat is your only issue, then just bandwidth limit just the upload of the WAN by 1-5% and test, repeat ad nauseum, until bufferbloat is no longer an issue.

Once that is fixed, you can experiment with doing the same with fq_codel which should permit a higher upload than whatever Asus stock/Merlin default uses because it is more efficient.

Ok. I’ll start with the upload.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!