What's new

[384.14_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
384.14_alpha2-g5060deff5c working perfectly, no issues here.

Thanks, Merlin!
Anton

beta - 384.6396 , last realise - 384.6436
Version 9.0.0.4.384.6396 Beta Version2019/07/3169.97 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware beta version 9.0.0.4.384.6396
Please be noted this is a beta version, if you want to roll back to official version, you will need to process manual firmware update in web GUI.

RT-AC86U_384.14_alpha2-g5951cff143_cferom_ubi.w. So far so good on my AC86. Finally seem to have a stable AC86 where I can run a couple of VPN Clients and a VPN server for more than a day or two.

Did a NVRAM erase, format jffs partition, factory reset, reloaded saved config file, set up the VPNs again then upgraded to Alpha version.

If everything stays stable I will take the AC86 which is on my test bench and put it into production mode this weekend.

Hope this is the end of my quest for a stable and functional AC86. At least the radios on my 2019 AC86 both work consistently versus the junkers kept shipping me on RMA exchanges.

Thanks for the fix showing the DHCP list and SSH possible again!

Thanks!

Last edited:
RT-AC86U_384.14_alpha2-g5951cff143_cferom_ubi.w. So far so good on my AC86. Finally seem to have a stable AC86 where I can run a couple of VPN Clients and a VPN server for more than a day or two.

Did a NVRAM erase, format jffs partition, factory reset, reloaded saved config file, set up the VPNs again then upgraded to Alpha version.

If everything stays stable I will take the AC86 which is on my test bench and put it into production mode this weekend.

Hope this is the end of my quest for a stable and functional AC86. At least the radios on my 2019 AC86 both work consistently versus the junkers kept shipping me on RMA exchanges.

Reloaded saved config file? You basically did the other reset steps for nothing then. Don't be too surprised if glitches creep back in.

Hoping they don't though! :)

Reloaded saved config file? You basically did the other reset steps for nothing then. Don't be too surprised if glitches creep back in.

Agreed. I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated, but a saved configuration is only a convienience used to get you back to a working router when loaded onto the matching firmware version it came from. It has repeatedly shown to be asking for trouble to use it to quickly setup a router on a different firmware version.

Agreed. I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated, but a saved configuration is only a convienience used to get you back to a working router when loaded onto the matching firmware version it came from. It has repeatedly shown to be asking for trouble to use it to quickly setup a router on a different firmware version.
I think it emphasizes the need for a configuration restore that isn’t the full ASUS backup file. The revived discussion of @john9527 script is timely in that regard. Let users cherry-pick the “safe” settings they don’t want to manually reapply.

Last edited:

Having done numerous "nuclear resets" and have reentered all the settings from scratch many times and the AC86 routers have still had problems. I always save settings at numerous points in rebuilding the router's configuration. I start with just the basic settings and then add other features and test it for a couple of days. No difference in results if I just "nuclear reset" and then restore just a basic configuration (Wifi Info, Guest Networks, Static IPs ) . If everything works for a couple of days I then setup VPNs and also enable scripts and reload them. Is this the best procedure? I don't know but I do know that having to renter everything from scratch every other day is a PITA when the same settings work fine on an AC1900P or a N66.

Cannot seem tyo find the link to RT-AC86U_384.14_alpha2-g5951cff143

Only alpha2-g5060deff5c
384.14_alpha2-g5951cff143 is for the AX88U not your AC86U.

1. Installed RT-AC86U_384.14_alpha2-g5060deff5c_cferom_ubi.w
  2. Enabled Reboot Scheduler

• After a rescheduled reboot the router lost the Wireless and Dual-WAN configuration and ended up with the configuration wizard, using the open "ASUS" SSID
  • A 2nd test reboot (after reconfiguration) ended up with router dead/no leds
  • Other configuration parameters persisted

• Switched back to 384.13

Just loaded 384.14_alpha2-g5951cff143 and everything working great. Thanks RMerlin!

Last edited:
Upgrade done from 384.13. On AX88U and 3 nodes AC68U. Working smoothly until now ;) Great job.

Seems people are quite happy with the alpha release... perhaps I should give it a go. Any major issues? I'm running the latest asus version they have released for rt-ax88u and rt-ac68u(mesh). Still have some disconnect issues and dropouts. Sent a report to asus with logs but haven't got any answer back. Seems at least in alpha 2 for rt-ac68u has never gpl than asus has promoted 384.81049 vs alpha 2 384_81116.
It's anoying when streaming or copying files from my nas it suddenly just stops and it's not only a wifi issue I have used ethernet also same there. Well as mentioned perhaps I should give alpha 2 a try, nothing to loose. :)

I wouldn't be too eager to run alpha code unless you want to participate in the testing phase. Be prepared for unknown issues that may appear since all of the code is not ready for release yet. You certainly can "give it a go" and if you don't like it load your previous version. Remember there is always a chance you may have to reset to default and manually start from scratch.

I wouldn't be too eager to run alpha code unless you want to participate in the testing phase. Be prepared for unknown issues that may appear since all of the code is not ready for release yet. You certainly can "give it a go" and if you don't like it load your previous version. Remember there is always a chance you may have to reset to default and manually start from scratch.
OK thanks for advice. Yes sure it's an alpha version, can't expect too much. Then again I already have annoying issues with asus official release. So why not try merlins alpha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!