What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one question regarding the above code. If I switched off all TrendMicro related services (*AiProtection*Traffic Analyzer*Apps analyzer*Adaptive QoS*Game boost*Game IPS*Web history) do I need the above code?

Yes, I did. And I am using Merlin's FW.

Last edited by a moderator:
With trend-micro disabled completely I am not sure you will find any speed benefits. It wouldn't hurt though. I will consider doing some benchmarking in the future.

Just one question regarding the above code. If I switched off all TrendMicro related services (*AiProtection*Traffic Analyzer*Apps analyzer*Adaptive QoS*Game boost*Game IPS*Web history) do I need the above code?

Personally I wouldnt modify or try fix what ain’t broke. If won’t be collecting data unless you enabled an aiprotect feature and accepted the Eula. If there was anything to be concerned about then people would notice in their logs and share here.

Turn it on. Don't use the email alert feature. It is rally that easy. No further work required at any time.
No, alerts not necessary. Just turn AiProtect on, & it will quietly go about its business.

Just an update, turned on yesterday and checked this morning and I have had 3 hits, all seem to be with 1 client, not sure which yet.
Do I need to do anything, I gather that its quite normal to get a small amount of hits ?

They were external attacks all to the same destination, two of the hits was:

EXPLOIT Remote Command Execution via Shell Script -2

and the other:

EXPLOIT Netcore Router Backdoor Access

Just an update, turned on yesterday and checked this morning and I have had 3 hits, all seem to be with 1 client, not sure which yet.
Do I need to do anything, I gather that its quite normal to get a small amount of hits ?

and the other:

You don't need to do anything , AiProtection already blocked the exploit which is the whole point of turning it on.

A patched router isn't vulnerable anyway.

The previous version blocked everything quietly without telling you and paranoia levels were not raised.

and the other:

Par for the course. Routine internet noise.
I get anything from zero, to 100 hits a day.
Just AiProtect telling you it’s doing stuff.......

Go to the Privacy tab and reject the Trend Micro EULA. That should take care of everything.

No, you're fine. Just normal Internet background noise.

I have noticed 24 hits in malicious site blocking all related to my iPad device.

Is there any way I can tell what website is causing these hits, its all the same thing (spam), under destination its described as 'app.whoisvisiting.com'

Thanks

Is there any way I can tell what website is causing these hits, its all the same thing (spam), under destination its described as 'app.whoisvisiting.com'

Most likely it's an tracker, triggered when you visit a website. Looks like whoisvisiting.com is all about tracking analytics.
Do you have Diversion installed? Besides excellent ad and tracker blocking functionality, it has a function to follow dns requests when being made, so it might help you identify which website uses app.whoisvisiting.com.

Most likely it's an tracker, triggered when you visit a website. Looks like whoisvisiting.com is all about tracking analytics.
Do you have Diversion installed? Besides excellent ad and tracker blocking functionality, it has a function to follow dns requests when being made, so it might help you identify which website uses app.whoisvisiting.com.

On the iPad I have no ad blocking/tracking extensions installed, would something like Wipr ad blocker help maybe?

Thanks

On the iPad I have no ad blocking/tracking extensions installed, would something like Wipr ad blocker help maybe?
I don't know Wipr, but with Diversion you can do router based ad blocking for your entire network. See this thread for details.

Trend Micro would likely only record data for "prevented events" , they couldn't cope with all the raw data from millions of routers .
This is a good point. If it only shares data for significant events then that makes sense - it's how their product actually works. I.e. collect bad stuff going down so they can adapt, and help prevent bad stuff going down on other protected devices? Seems like a bit of a storm in a teacup although it would be nice to be explicitly clear.

Reading the above though, collecting all visited sites is a bit of a worry. Especially if that is personally identifiable and sold off for 'business purposes'?

There have been cases already of pregnant girls or gay people or whatever being 'outed' by targeted advertising when data was sold off and subsequently people committed suicide. So the repercussions can be serious.

However, TrendMicro does seem to have a good reputation unlike store cards, Google and Facebook (especially the latter).

Last edited:
You clearly need help.

You appear to suffer from extreme paranoia and/or have a very guilty conscience and a lot to hide .

You have a choice ...... use their service having read the open and honest EULA or not, Trend Micro are not hiding anything or doing anything wrong, there is nothing to defend.

Why do you expect ANY company to provide millions of people a FREE service ? Do you work for zero pay?

Is that true, however. That Trend Micro log the websites we visit? If so, what else do they log? I wasn't fully aware of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey @skeal ,

Here is an interesting development:

Trend Micro tools tossed from Apple's Mac App Store after spewing fans' browser histories
Data caught being siphoned off to outside server

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/10/trend_micro_apple_macos/

Demo:

#TrendMicro Apps Identified:
#DrCleaner
#DrAntivirus
#AppUninstall
#DrUnarchiver
#DrBattery
#Duplicate Finder

---------
@sfx2000 ,
"The Trend Micro stuff works well enough - I've worked with Trend in the past, they're good people..."

people change...
--------

p.s. For those I thought I saw that asked how to stop the data sharing...I've done a few things initially:
*Placed a few url filters w/in FW (siteforce.com, trendmicro.com) Not sure if they have some hard coded tunnel phoning home back to mother ship.
*Placed a few similar url wildcards into the Pi-hole device

Hope this helps

Enzo

Wow, those Apps were quite popular on the mac app store... damn. I might have to learn a bit more about what data this router is sharing.

This way it uses 2fa.

I wish I could use my Yubikey 5 NFC with my RT-AC86U ... off topic but that would be cool.

Call me paranoid, but I'm not opting into anything anymore which isn't fully transparent as to what they're exactly collecting and more specifically why. I'm currently de-Googlifying our household. Man, that's a hellish job on it's own. I was shocked to find out they even know where I bought the tinfoil for our hats... But seriously, all joking apart, companies like these (not specifically TM, but in general) are gathering way too much -additional- info about our private lives that they don't need to provide a specific service. Nothing is free. 'If you're not paying for a product (or a service, for that matter), you're not the customer: you are the product.' True words, if you'd ask me...

I don't care if people label me paranoid. I'd rather pay for services that don't use my data in order to build a user profile. A creepy profile that knows far too much about my private interests, associations, preferences for many things and so on. I've degoogled completely, FB is gone. All I have left is Twitter and Reddit and I think I'll keep Reddit (as Inpay premium and they don't collect much data on me or serve up ads).

"Trend Micro are not gathering any more data than your ISP/OS/antivirus or the sites you visit."

ISP meh, OS meh, antivirus meh ... my browser history? hmmm how do I stop that, and what do I lose in order to gain my privacy?

ISP meh, OS meh, antivirus meh ... my browser history? hmmm how do I stop that, and what do I lose in order to gain my privacy?

The browser history issue was only with the apps downloaded from the Apple App store. Your router has no way to access your browser's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!