What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't DNS records provide the browsing history? I thought that was the whole point..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

"Trend Micro are not gathering any more data than your ISP/OS/antivirus or the sites you visit."

ISP meh, OS meh, antivirus meh ... my browser history? hmmm how do I stop that, and what do I lose in order to gain my privacy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You have to disable Aiprotection so you lose that.

Look under Privacy tab in Admin I think it is.

You have to disable Aiprotection so you lose that.

Look under Privacy tab in Admin I think it is.

edit: ignore

The browser history issue was only with the apps downloaded from the Apple App store. Your router has no way to access your browser's history.

Oh, thank you for answering my question. That's great news. I thought it sounded a bit over intrusive to be true. Thanks again.

If you are concerned about someone seeing your por...err...viewing habits, you can always use your vpn to route that traffic through the vpn. That way only your vpn provider knows your secrets. ;)

If you are concerned about someone seeing your por...err...viewing habits, you can always use your vpn to route that traffic through the vpn. That way only your vpn provider knows your secrets. ;)

Ha, funny. I have no need to regularly look at smut. That's not my concern. I'm a privacy "enthusiast", and regularly look at ways to minimize corporate and Government intrusion. For instance, in Australia, where I live, there is mandatory 2 year meta-data retention for all internet activities, as well as longer data retention for phone calls. As well as this, there is also currently a Bill being proposed by the Conservative Government to order Tech companies to create "backdoors" into their encryption. Information concerning this proposal can be found here https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/consultations/assistance-and-access-bill-2018 ... I also frequently discuss political opinions anonymously in forums and would like to keep myself as anonymous as possible. And of course I use a VPN all the time. I never connect to the internet without being connected to ProtonVPN, AirVPN, or ExpressVPN (for streaming US content).

Well using a paid VPN will bypass all protection and put you at the mercy of the VPN provider and their DNS server records etc.

Frankly I would not trust any VPN provider for more than basic streaming and even then don't like it.

TOR or even TAILS OS is the only way to achieve any true privacy.

I wonder if Skynet and Merlin can block the telemetry and tracking though.

Well using a paid VPN will bypass all protection and put you at the mercy of the VPN provider and their DNS server records etc.

Frankly I would not trust any VPN provider for more than basic streaming and even then don't like it.

TOR or even TAILS OS is the only way to achieve any true privacy.

I wonder if Skynet and Merlin can block the telemetry and tracking though.

I use Skynet, and I use TOR and sometimes TAILS. I should use it more often tbh.

I have some trust in AirVPN and ProtonVPN, particularly more than my ISP. Plus they're companies that my Government have no jurisdiction over.

pi-hole can block trend-micro from phone home.

I'm using Diversion at the moment, but someone yesterday was talking to me about Pi-hole and I have a spare PC with Debian on it so I might test it out. It looks pretty good.

Don't DNS records provide the browsing history? I thought that was the whole point..

No. A DNS record contains no information as to the URL visited, or the pages browsed within a site.

The browser history issue related to the iOS application involves the actual history getting taken from your browser, and being sent.

No. A DNS record contains no information as to the URL visited, or the pages browsed within a site.

The browser history issue related to the iOS application involves the actual history getting taken from your browser, and being sent.

I assumed the same as @bitmonster ... I guess we're always learning something new here.

Edit: I check the Australian App Store and those Trend Micro App have all been pulled.

I assumed the same as @bitmonster ... I guess we're always learning something new here.

Edit: I check the Australian App Store and those Trend Micro App have all been pulled.

Pulled? Oh....

Privacy is getting ridiculous these days. At best, people are now seen as 'freely mine-able assets'. At worst it's a dystopian nightmare waiting to happen. Look what 1940s Germany did with the first tracking systems (tabulating machines). The definition of 'wrong' can take a wrong turn very quickly and suddenly this data becomes valuable for all the wrong reasons. China is already like that so a good quarter of the human population already live under regimes where one's innocent browsing habits could spell incarceration or death, and the Chinese government runs a lot of the businesses that harvest information. They're almost as bad as the USA and NSA.

Which is why I love this router so much. It's actually amusing to see all the spyware suddenly break and throw fits.

If Trend Micro only sent or do send blocked domains or something I'm ok with that. They should not need to see all domains visited though. That is freely available in anonymised aggregate form through other sources.

If an authoritarian Government came to power in the US and made it law for the Tech giants to hand over all the information they have on citizens... they'd have more information than the Nazi's had on German citizens.

But ... this dystopian nightmare is already occurring... read this article on China's "Social Credit" and understand why online privacy really does matter (it's a bit ironic that abc Australia aren't using https lol)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...n-a-digital-dictatorship/10200278?pfmredir=sm

Last edited:
Ironic indeed and yes familiar with that - check out Black Mirror S3E01 sometime. It's 'supposed' to be fiction but already becoming reality. Anyway a whole deep discussion there about data mining entrenching structural disadvantage (e.g. loan / insurance qualification, etc).

This sht needs to be stamped out.

So far Diversion and Skynet are working beautifully with the only 'effect' noted by the missus being a noticeable drop in ads, including on Youtube.

So why can't we just block Trend Micro's telemetry server too? Or is that the same as the update server.

As I said I don't mind blocked domains being shared - that's necessary for the product to continue improving - but not *all* domains.

Not the specific pages, but still all the sites you visit (and additionally all non-browser traffic, like visits from Apps or IoT devices).

In some cases that can still be dangerous.

(I use the feature; I think the chance of me being hit by a mass malware attack is much larger than me being a target of a government agency)

Not the specific pages, but still all the sites you visit (and additionally all non-browser traffic, like visits from Apps or IoT devices).

In some cases that can still be dangerous.

(I use the feature; I think the chance of me being hit by a mass malware attack is much larger than me being a target of a government agency)

Yeah you've got to balance privacy vs security. It's a constant battle for me. But I use AiProtection because it has already detected network attacks. And if I hadn't had it enabled I would never have known as I'm not well versed in everything ASUS-WRT/Merlin.

Me too I will continue using it, and just use TOR or TAILS if I am ever that concerned about privacy.

Would still be handy if Diversion or Skynet could block the tracking though...

Ha, funny. I have no need to regularly look at smut. That's not my concern. I'm a privacy "enthusiast", and regularly look at ways to minimize corporate and Government intrusion. For instance, in Australia, where I live, there is mandatory 2 year meta-data retention for all internet activities, as well as longer data retention for phone calls. As well as this, there is also currently a Bill being proposed by the Conservative Government to order Tech companies to create "backdoors" into their encryption. Information concerning this proposal can be found here https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/consultations/assistance-and-access-bill-2018 ... I also frequently discuss political opinions anonymously in forums and would like to keep myself as anonymous as possible. And of course I use a VPN all the time. I never connect to the internet without being connected to ProtonVPN, AirVPN, or ExpressVPN (for streaming US content).
Out government is just full of hot air, the meta data law is an illegal breach of privacy, but they have no way of storing all of it so it's bound to fail, and it's good to see a fellow Aussie.

Also I'd test out an alternative DNS provider, in sure there is some privacy focused ones.

Out government is just full of hot air, the meta data law is an illegal breach of privacy, but they have no way of storing all of it so it's bound to fail, and it's good to see a fellow Aussie.

Also I'd test out an alternative DNS provider, in sure there is some privacy focused ones.

Yeah, on ya mate! True, our Government is full of hot wind and they don't even understand what they're doing, from the thing I hear and read. It's an embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!