What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly are the wifi issues? I've had some odd things happen a few times . Like multicast issues and just needing to reboot every couple days when I didn't before
WIfi flat out not working on at least two models (radio initializes, but no signal is visible. This is specific to the GPL code however, stock firmware is unaffected.

I had more time to revist Alpha 3 today with the family otherwise occupied.

My ISP uses VLAN's to separate internet and their IPTV service, I noticed that the VLAN's weren't initialised so I set them up with robocfg and extended the TTL. Internet is now connected.

I thought the GPL code was supposed to match the stock firmware? Or is the stock firmware built on non-GPL code? Sorry for the likely stupid question.
The stock firmware is built from pure sources out of their own internal repo. GPL archives are generated by taking the model-specific portions of that repo (so we don't end up with a 30 GB download for every GPL archive), and they also need to replace proprietary portions of the source code with precompiled files. So, the build process is different if you are compiling from pure sources or from a GPL archive. There could also be errors when copying the prebuilt objects, if for example you include the wrong version, or you mix up two different models.

Also, these archives they send me are not always the same version as their latest build and tested firmware, as I need them to provide me GPL archives of the same version for all supported models. There is no 45958 firmware for two of the affected models.

They spent the past few months reworking the whole process related to building GPL archives to address the recent licensing issues. There are still some issues left for them to iron out following these numerous changes.

@RMerlin say I own a ac86u and a while back there was this option to set 5g on 160mhz. I was confused since this is gone for a long time already. I check everything thing and I saw that the device should be able to use 160mhz. How can I get it back ?

They spent the past few months reworking the whole process related to building GPL archives to address the recent licensing issues. There are still some issues left for them to iron out following these numerous changes.
Hats off to Asus and their engineers for their efforts in keeping the spirit of GPL under these circumstances.
A great example of how GPL works/improves/enhances.

Asus + GPL + Merlin = the reason I (and many) will only purchase Asus routers.

(I would love to buy the engineers at Asus a pizza)

On alpha 3 for ac5300 for past 3 days. No issues other than DDNS registration for no-ip.com is displaying an exclamation mark on the Network Map page and displaying the error message "Request error! Please try again." The DDNS registration is still working as my WAN address has changed since being on alpha 3 and my DDNS address did get updated to reflect my latest WAN address. From checking older posts it looks like a number of other alpha 3 users have had the same problem.

The only missing thing to reach beta stage is getting 45958 GPL archives for the AX models, so they can be brought in sync with the rests. This is currently stalled due to a wifi-related issue with some of these AX models, which has been escalated to Broadcom.
Apparently my AX86U is affected by this... IMO ASUS has really done quite an exceptional job in resolving this matter.
However I'm nervous as to how expedient Broadcom will be with something like this.
Any guesses perhaps passed on a similar incident or Broadcom connections?
Or are we in uncharted water & simply need to wait, again???
Just curious if Broadcom requested code fixes are typically fast or glacier slowwwwwwwwww
( Crossing Fingers & toes, but I don't think I'll hold my breath... LOL )
Thanks Eric

Apparently my AX86U is affected by this...
It's not. Asus confirmed it was one of the models that they recently tested and didn't exhibit the issue.

It's not. Asus confirmed it was one of the models that they recently tested and didn't exhibit the issue.

I'm still curious to hear the time frame you think that Broadcom will address this - a few weeks, a month, several months?

The stock firmware is built from pure sources out of their own internal repo. GPL archives are generated by taking the model-specific portions of that repo (so we don't end up with a 30 GB download for every GPL archive), and they also need to replace proprietary portions of the source code with precompiled files. So, the build process is different if you are compiling from pure sources or from a GPL archive. There could also be errors when copying the prebuilt objects, if for example you include the wrong version, or you mix up two different models.

Also, these archives they send me are not always the same version as their latest build and tested firmware, as I need them to provide me GPL archives of the same version for all supported models. There is no 45958 firmware for two of the affected models.

Heck yeah. Thank you very much for this info. You rock.

@RMerlin am i losing my mind or did you remove the latest alpha build for AX86 or am i getting the alpha numbers confused? e.g. is alpha3 specifically for the AC devices or something ? i feel dumb

@RMerlin am i losing my mind or did you remove the latest alpha build for AX86 or am i getting the alpha numbers confused? e.g. is alpha3 specifically for the AC devices or something ? i feel dumb
Alpha 3 only had AC builds.

quick question. Ive noticed perioticly ive had to reboot the router and looking at the logs i'm getting that service restart of wgc which i guess is wireguard according to what i read in the thread earlier. its a lot of pages to go through . I do remember seeing people discussing the presence of wgc entries in nvram. I have those... did we ever determin if they are the cause? should i remove them? i notice the loop starts with a error by dnsmasq not finding a file... i tried changing "wgc_dns=" to wgc_dns=0" but didnt do anything. i was thinking of removing them maybe but idk if i should bother if its already been tried

Hi Merlin,

Love your work and I hope Asus let you continue for as long as you are able. :)

Btw I have a quick question. So I was having a little problem with my network. Using ai-mesh works fine for now except for the guest network (I have 3 -ac-68u routers). The guest network functions as it's supposed to on the main router with the alpha firmware. So no access to the intranet etc. But for some reason it won't work on the nodes. They show up without internet access. GNnuton mentioned a fix in his fork for dsl routers.

Is there any likelihood of being able to fix this? I would make a donation for your time.

Andy

Hi Merlin,

Love your work and I hope Asus let you continue for as long as you are able. :)

Btw I have a quick question. So I was having a little problem with my network. Using ai-mesh works fine for now except for the guest network (I have 3 -ac-68u routers). The guest network functions as it's supposed to on the main router with the alpha firmware. So no access to the intranet etc. But for some reason it won't work on the nodes. They show up without internet access. GNnuton mentioned a fix in his fork for dsl routers.

Is there any likelihood of being able to fix this? I would make a donation for your time.

Andy

DNS-O-Matic failing on THREE AX86U routers in different physical places on different ISP's.

It could be a temp dns-o-matic issue, the web site login works OK, but the routers report "Authentication Issue" even though I have input the correct password again. Error code 50 I think it was.
Previously when this happened on an older firmware release, it was because DNS-o-matic had changed their paremeters/API call.

Also seem to be getting a lot of these types of log messages under critical only: "rc_service: service 13057:notify_rc restart_wgc"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!