What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On alpha 3 for ac5300, and two ac88. Everything seems to be running solid but have now experienced all 2.4ghz clients being permanently dropped three times. The clients still show in the log with no data or flags. All 5 GHZ clients and wired clients are not affected. Only a full reboot of the routers resolves it.

I haven't had a chance to dig deeper but wanted to post before I forgot :) . Ill update with details next time it occurs.

Thanks for your hard work, Merlin.

What previous firmware was installed?

How are you doing the reboots? Manually on each router?

Have you tried doing a System Reboot via the AiMesh System Settings page?

Have you tried fully resetting the nodes (both of them, before you add them back in as AiMesh nodes from the main router)?

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

What previous firmware was installed?

How are you doing the reboots? Manually on each router?

Have you tried doing a System Reboot via the AiMesh System Settings page?

Have you tried fully resetting the nodes (both of them, before you add them back in as AiMesh nodes from the main router)?

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

I had the previous alpha installed on all three before upgrading to alpha 3. After the first time all 2.4ghz clients dropped on alpha 3, only a physical power off on all three routers resolved it.

I then did a clean wipe and went back to the latest stock firmware on all three routers. Then I moved back to alpha 3 with fresh manual configurations (No restoration).

The two times it occurred after that, I was able to reboot from the AiMesh menu for all routers, and it was fixed upon reboot.

I have the ac88 as main router and ac88 and ac5300 as nodes. Ethernet backhaul Mode. I haven't experienced this before through countless iterations of firmware, so I figured I would at least post in case anyone else is experiencing it. If and when it occurs again, I can get some more information. Just didn't have time to troubleshoot yet.

Last edited:
Note that you should first flash the firmware you want to use/test before you do a full reset. Then, do a minimal and manual configuration afterward.

I see devices linger in the Clients list long after they have been turned off. Running alpha2 on my RT-AX88U. Both WiFi and wired devices. This did not happen before. Dirty upgrade from 386.2.3.

Just a few observations. Dirty upgrades for all routers. Functionally everything seems fine at this point.
GT-AX11000
Current Version : 386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc
- 5GHZ-2, Unable to unselect->Auto select channel including DFS channels
To be more accurate, I can unselect and Apply but the the checkmark remains
- 5GHZ-2 is Underlined and selectable on Network Map Screen. Previously it was greyed out because it was, I presume, dedicated to wireless backhaul for AIMESH

AiMesh screen. No Network stats for either AiMesh node. Topology disappears and is replaced by Loading... when selecting Network for either AiMesh node

Syslog Errors:
Nov 27 16:26:34 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Nov 27 16:26:35 BWDPI: rollback fc
Nov 27 16:26:35 firewall: apply rules error(4609)
Nov 27 16:27:43 kernel: jffs2: warning: (2067) jffs2_sum_write_data: Summary too big (-32 data, -1444 pad) in eraseblock at 004c0000

AiMesh Nodes
RT-AX86U
Current Version : 386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc
No Issues noted. 2.5GB Ethernet backhaul

RT-AC86U
Current Version : 386.4_alpha3-g7d7073bf09
No Issues noted. Would not connect to 5GHZ-2 backhaul when Enable 160 MHz was selected.
I spoke too soon. Native IPV6 with DHCP-PD is not consistently working on alpha2 but is rock solid with alpha1.

I’ve done a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch twice, once via Web GUI/reset settings checked and once pressing factory reset button.

After factory reset, the IPV6 LAN Setting fields were populated with /64 prefix but eventually I’d experience connectivity issues for IPV6 aware apps and upon reboot the IPV6 LAN Setting fields would no longer be populated.

I’m currently gathering log information/screenshots for alpha1 and plan to reflash alpha2 tomorrow or Saturday and gather the same information/screenshots to assist in determining what the issue is. Below is the information that I will be gathering, and I also turn on IPV6 debugging as well once I’ve reflashed with alpha2.

Information being gathered:

ip -6 addr show scope global
grep "\bra\b" /etc/dnsmasq.conf
grep dhcp6_client /tmp/syslog.log*
ps | grep odhcp6c
nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep ^ipv6_prefix
cat /tmp/ipv6_*
ip -6 addr
ip -6 monitor neigh dev br0

Debug command:

nvram set ipv6_debug=1
nvram commit

@RMerlin Is there any additional information that I should gather or tests that you’d like me to run?

Alpha3 broke IPV6 on my rt-ac86u (I did not try an Alpha before, just used 386.3_2) completely - confirmed in the UI and also with an external ipv6 test. So I rolled back to non merlin firmware.

Alpha3 broke IPV6 on my rt-ac86u (I did not try an Alpha before, just used 386.3_2) completely - confirmed in the UI and also with an external ipv6 test. So I rolled back to non merlin firmware.
Yep it seems to be doing that lately. It is issues introduced by the beta asus firmwares, but it shouldn't be too long before it is fixed.

Couldn't wait any-longer & was feeling brash...
Dirty Flashed 386.4_alpha3-g5475053f32 onto my RT-AC68U while leaving my Entware : HD plugged into USB...
Haven't rebooted yet... Watching CPU resources settle.
I know, I know, bad... bad.. bad !!!
But so far, so good... LOL
Hey look, CPU resources just settled in nicely.
Maybe I'll reboot later, Maybe ;-)

I spoke too soon. Native IPV6 with DHCP-PD is not consistently working on alpha2 but is rock solid with alpha1.

I’ve done a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch twice, once via Web GUI/reset settings checked and once pressing factory reset button.

After factory reset, the IPV6 LAN Setting fields were populated with /64 prefix but eventually I’d experience connectivity issues for IPV6 aware apps and upon reboot the IPV6 LAN Setting fields would no longer be populated.

I’m currently gathering log information/screenshots for alpha1 and plan to reflash alpha2 tomorrow or Saturday and gather the same information/screenshots to assist in determining what the issue is. Below is the information that I will be gathering, and I also turn on IPV6 debugging as well once I’ve reflashed with alpha2.

Information being gathered:

ip -6 addr show scope global
grep "\bra\b" /etc/dnsmasq.conf
grep dhcp6_client /tmp/syslog.log*
ps | grep odhcp6c
nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep ^ipv6_prefix
cat /tmp/ipv6_*
ip -6 addr
ip -6 monitor neigh dev br0

Debug command:

nvram set ipv6_debug=1
nvram commit

@RMerlin Is there any additional information that I should gather or tests that you’d like me to run?
Spent the day gathering information and I believe that I've narrowed down the IPV6 issue with 386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc on the GT-AX11000.
I tried a dirty upgrade and the router failed to pull an IPV6 address.
After a factory reset, the router pulled an IPV6 address. Started manually reconfiguring the router, creating restore points as I went along.
I won't go through all the configuration steps, suffice it to say that all was well with IPV6 until I configured a Guest network as follows:

Guest network 1 on 2.4 GHZ, Access Intranet=Disable, Sync to AiMesh Node=All.

As soon as I hit apply, IPV6 started failing. I then disabled Guest Network 1 and IPV6 started to function. I re-enabled Guest Network 1, IPV6 failed until I set Access Intranet=Enable at which point IPV6 started functioning.

With Alpha1, I can set Access Intranet to Disable and IPV6 functions correctly, not sure why the same config doesn't work with Alpha2. I will leave this config in place for couple of days in case anyone would like me to grab some information to hopefully help find the root cause of the issue. I use Guest network 1 for all my IOT devices so I'm not too keen on allowing Access Intranet Enabled for more than a few days:)

I did a little more digging for the alpha2 IPV6 issue. I suspected it was a IPV6 firewall issue and pulled the ip6tables with Guest network 1 enabled and with Guest Network 1 disabled. I've pasted the results below. Significant difference in the before and after!

IPV6 with guest network enabled/Access Intranet=disabled
router@GT-AX11000:/tmp/home/root# ip6tables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT all anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROP all anywhere anywhere state INVALID
ACCEPT all anywhere anywhere state NEW

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT all anywhere anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain logaccept (0 references)
LOG all anywhere anywhere state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "ACCEPT "

Chain logdrop (0 references)
LOG all anywhere anywhere state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "DROP "
DROP all anywhere anywhere
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guest Network disabled
router@GT-AX11000:/tmp/home/root# ip6tables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT ipv6-nonxt anywhere anywhere length 40
ACCEPT udp anywhere anywhere udp spt:547 dpt:546
ICMP_V6_LOCAL ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere
ICMP_V6 ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
TCPMSS tcp anywhere anywhere tcpflags: SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
ACCEPT ipv6-nonxt anywhere anywhere length 40
ICMP_V6 ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain ICMP_V6 (2 references)
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp echo-request
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp destination-unreachable
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp packet-too-big
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp time-exceeded
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp parameter-problem
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp echo-reply

Chain ICMP_V6_LOCAL (1 references)
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 130
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 131
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 132
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp router-solicitation
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp router-advertisement
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp neighbour-solicitation
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp neighbour-advertisement
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 141
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 142
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 143
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 148
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 149
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 151
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 152
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmptype 153
RETURN all anywhere anywhere

Chain IControls (0 references)

Chain NSFW (0 references)

Chain PControls (0 references)

Chain UPNP (0 references)

Chain logaccept (0 references)
LOG all anywhere anywhere state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "ACCEPT "

Chain logdrop (0 references)
LOG all anywhere anywhere state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "DROP "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!