What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better to leave it on and use an app-specific password
OK I tried 2 stage authentication- but still get same error. I even tried --tlsv1 command instead of -ssl in line 10 and changed port to 587 - still getting same error.

OK FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK

I changed line 10 from --ssl-reqd \ to

--ssl \
AND changed port from 465 to 587

The --ssl command in CURL stands for "Try SSL/TLS" whereas --ssl-reqd stands for "Require SSL/TLS"

Dont ask me why one works and the other dosent - but for a layman Im glad I fixed the problem myself.

Is anyone else getting forum within a forum adds again or is it just me? @thelonelycoder can you help with this or...? This happens on all browsers and hangs them while loading endlessly.
Forum within a forum.png

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting forum within a forum adds again or is it just me? @thelonelycoder can you help with this or...?
View attachment 13145
It happens periodically, I have given up on trying to fix it !!!
Appreciate the reasons why etc and it is a 'little inconvenience' for a 'good cause'.

OK FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK

I changed line 10 from --ssl-reqd \ to

--ssl \
AND changed port from 465 to 587

The --ssl command in CURL stands for "Try SSL/TLS" whereas --ssl-reqd stands for "Require SSL/TLS"

Dont ask me why one works and the other dosent - but for a layman Im glad I fixed the problem myself.
You're messed up. When you went from port 465 to 587, you left ssl behind. So you don't have 2factor going in the first place, and you are floating your gmail userid and password out to the world.

There is absolutely nothing in the sendmail part of ab-s worth doing that.

Obviously, my suggestion is to get the 2factor working, get an app-specific password, then setup ab-s again with it.

You're messed up. When you went from port 465 to 587, you left ssl behind. So you don't have 2factor going in the first place, and you are floating your gmail userid and password out to the world.

There is absolutely nothing in the sendmail part of ab-s worth doing that.

Obviously, my suggestion is to get the 2factor working, get an app-specific password, then setup ab-s again with it.

I think you are messed up too. I already said in my previous post that I turned 2 stage authentication ON. That means i have an app-specific password. The command -ssl or -ssl-reqd will choose how the secure connection will be initiated based on the port number chosen. I am well aware that 465 is SSL and 587 is TLS.
I chose to use TLS with 2 stage auth because thats what works on my ac5300.

In a subsequent test I noted that the problem is Totally based on usage of TLS or SSL by way of Port allocation.

Not sure why GMAIL isnt working with SSL/465. Port 587 works and 465 does not work with the send_email script on my AC5300. I even reverted back to --ssl-reqd \ from --ssl \command in Line 10 and it works fine on PORT 587 - not working when Port 465 is chosen.

Anyway latest TLS 1.3 is more secure and faster than SSL 3.0 (from a server perspective) and is the latest version of the protocol.

Quote - "If you are configuring a server, you must install software that supports the latest versions of the TLS standard, and configure it properly. This ensures that the connections that your users make are as secure as possible. Using an excellent security certificate will also help a lot — e.g. one with 2048+ bit keys, Extended Validation, etc. You should avoid using SSL v3 and should use only strong ciphers, especially if compliance of any kind is required."

Last edited:
Hello, guys I'm the new on this forum.
So I have a question.
I install ab-solution on my asus n66u with last hufo firmware.
I use custom hosts, so I have the problem.
On my smartphone I see google adclick and other googleads in some apps.
I'm using easylist and ruadlist host files. Also I'm using hosts files from adaway in my router.
So what can I do for block google ads in my apps?
Thanks.

Update:
It is strange but now I go from my smartphone via my openvpn server on router and ads are blocked. I cann't see any ads on my app.
So when I'll be at home I test it again via home wifi.

Update 2: Yes, it's really true, when I connected via home wifi I have ads on my smartphone in appps, but when I connect via openvpn server on my router ads is go away, I have not any ads. How it can be? Can anybody help me?

Ok, guys! I found the fix. I tryed all settings on my router and all combinations, but without succes. So I saw in the log that there're no any request from my smartphone.
So, the problem was in wifi settings on my phone.

If you use static ip address in wifi settings in your smart, AB solution doesn't work! SO use ONLY DHCP IP address in your settings on smartphone!
@thelonelycoder please add this to the first post or to the FAQ. I really spent a lot of time to fix it.https://www.snbforums.com/members/thelonelycoder.25480/

Last edited:
Ok, guys! I found the fix. I tryed all settings on my router and all combinations, but without succes. So I saw in the log that there're no any request from my smartphone.

If you use static ip address in wifi settings in your smart, AB solution doesn't work! SO use ONLY DHCP IP address in your settings on smartphone!
@thelonelycoder please add this to the first post or to the FAQ. I really spent a lot of time to fix it.
Static or dynamic address does not matter, as long as the DNS Server on your device is set to the router's IP.
And this has been in the FAQ for a long time...

@thelonelycoder This is the first time I install AB-Solution and I was wondering if it is ok or I configure something wrong, What options do not have to be activated?

I tried to imitate the image of the first post. (I do not know if it is ok)
I used DiskGenius Free to make the 2 partitions (ext4) on the same USB drive in Windows 10.
iHYWLUz.png
Please state what your problem is, I see nothing unusual in your screenshot.

When i use dnscrypt I have to have dnsmasq off or can they work together?

The same swap file of AB-Solucion works for dnscrypt?
They work together, hand in hand. In fact, dnscrypt uses Dnsmasq settings to redirect the requests.

OK... so now I have a confused moment. :p

If AB-Solution is blocking ads by dropping/redirecting the DNS requests to the ad server, then I'm not clear what the point of Pixelserv-tls is. If the browser doesn't get a valid response to its DNS query, shouldn't it never make the subsequent request for an ad? And, that being the case, the browser shouldn't be sitting waiting for an ad that will never appear, right? What am I missing here? I think AB-Solution and pi-hole work in this same way, right?

If AB-Solution is blocking ads by dropping/redirecting the DNS requests to the ad server, then I'm not clear what the point of Pixelserv-tls is. If the browser doesn't get a valid response to its DNS query, shouldn't it never make the subsequent request for an ad? And, that being the case, the browser shouldn't be sitting waiting for an ad that will never appear, right? What am I missing here? I think AB-Solution and pi-hole work in this same way, right?

Pixelserv-tls responds to the ad request with a 1 pixel image. That way the browser receives a response and has something to place where the ad is supposed to be. Closes the loop and prevents things from breaking.

https://www.ab-solution.info/faq-reader/what-does-pixelserv-tls-do-and-do-i-need-it.html

Right - and thanks... I got all that. I understand what pixelserv-tls does. What I don't understand is why it's necessary in the first place.

I was under the impression that if a page (or ad) sends a request to bob.adserver.com and the DNS resolves that to something totally invalid rather than the correct IP, the request should end at that point. I guess I'm wrong in that impression or kvic wouldn't have gone to the trouble of developing pixelserv-tls in the first place.

I'm still stuck with slow internet for every computer on my guest network since they can't reach the pixelserv IP. :(

Hello, guys I'm the new on this forum.
So I have a question.
I install ab-solution on my asus n66u with last hufo firmware.
I use custom hosts, so I have the problem.
On my smartphone I see google adclick and other googleads in some apps.
I'm using easylist and ruadlist host files. Also I'm using hosts files from adaway in my router.
So what can I do for block google ads in my apps?
Thanks.

Update:
It is strange but now I go from my smartphone via my openvpn server on router and ads are blocked. I cann't see any ads on my app.
So when I'll be at home I test it again via home wifi.

Update 2: Yes, it's really true, when I connected via home wifi I have ads on my smartphone in appps, but when I connect via openvpn server on my router ads is go away, I have not any ads. How it can be? Can anybody help me?

@thelonelycoder please add this to the first post or to the FAQ. I really spent a lot of time to fix it.
This is True for you because you are missing some information :)
I use Static IP Addresses on certain devices and AB-Solution works !!!

This apparent problem will be because of 2 things:

1. DHCP sets IP Address, DNS Address and other things (subject to how you configure DHCP itself).
2. On ANDROID, DNS is often forced internally to go to Google DNS Addresses. (Ensures Googles 'Data Collection' etc.)

Re: (1.) ensure you set the Static IP you want & the DNS address of the router running dnsmasq on the device.

Re: (2.) you MAY need to use a 'fix' to force the DNS to be what you set and not what 'Google wants' !!!

The fix I use on multiple Android Devices is the following app:
DNS Changer (No Root - IPv6 - All connections)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frostnerd.dnschanger&hl=en_US

It sets up an internal VPN to 'trick' android into changing the DNS settings.
(When a VPN is running the DNS setting is NOT forced to Googles settings !!! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.