What's new

AC-RT3100 - Sharing External HD via Samba... confusing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JaimeZX

Been searching for a while; seems like the best place to ask the question since I can't find anything.
AC-RT3100, Merlin 384.3, Windows 10

Trying to share an external via the router. I don't understand why this is so difficult. Possibly making this harder than it needs to be.

Most logical place to look would be USB Tools > Media Services and Servers > Network Place (Samba)

* Enable share - ON
* Guest login - OFF
* Connections - 5 (default)
* Device name - ASUS
* Workgroup - WORKGROUP

The drive will show up in the bottom window, I can create a user and see folders in the router GUI.

In Windows, however, no luck.

The Asus guide suggests I should see the router in Explorer > Computer, or Explorer > Network... but I do not.

I can open the drive by typing \\192.168.x.1... which is GREAT, but I cannot create any shortcuts or call that a drive letter because Windows sees that as a server and not a drive. I'm hoping I don't need to try and move 5TB of stuff into a single folder on the external just so I can Map Network Drive.

Help? Suggestions? Glad I found this forum, I've picked up several useful tips so far while searching for an answer to this. :)

A network drive can only be mapped to a share, regardless of whether you access it through the Network Browser or directly by its URI. Once you're inside the server, simply right-click on the shares you wish to map to a network drive.

A network drive can only be mapped to a share, regardless of whether you access it through the Network Browser or directly by its URI. Once you're inside the server, simply right-click on the shares you wish to map to a network drive.
Yes. What I'm trying to avoid is having 84 drive letters, one for each folder on the external HDD plugged into the router. If necessary I will drag everything into a single folder, so that I can make that folder a drive letter... even though that will be weird when the external is plugged directly into the computer.

Would be nice if /tmp/mnt/ would be the \\192.168.x.1\ and then the /tmp/mnt/DroboMedia/ would be available for assigning a letter...

Yes. What I'm trying to avoid is having 84 drive letters, one for each folder on the external HDD plugged into the router. If necessary I will drag everything into a single folder, so that I can make that folder a drive letter... even though that will be weird when the external is plugged directly into the computer.

That's how it's done on any NAS, it's not specific to using a router for USB disk sharing. You create one or two shares that you map to network drives, and all the sub-folders containing your data is stored within those few shares. They never put many folders at the root.

Sure, I guess that makes sense. Just not something (I think) most [Windows] users think about when they get a new external... putting everything inside a folder in the root of the drive, because it's not what you do with an internal HD. :dunno: Anyway, guess I'll make those changes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!