What's new

AC3000 ZenWifi CT8 Node only sharing out 5Ghz WiFi band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jazzhands

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Having a problem with my AC3000 setup. Running a router + single mesh node configuration on latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_47399. Problem was happening on previous version too. I have Smart connect turned off.
Problem seems to be with the mesh node which only seems to share out the 5Ghz band WiFi. There are no devices connected to the node that are on 2.4Ghz (I have some older devices that don't support 5Ghz). All 2.4G devices will only connect to the main router, whihc is further away from some of them.
I'm sat at the side of the node with my iPhone and when I select my 5G SSID in WiFi settings it connects happily to the node. When I select the 2.4G SSID it drops off the node and connects to the main router which again is further away.
Am I missing something in the config that forces this or any other thoughts on what the cause could be and how to fix it please?

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forums @Jazzhands.

What is your main router? Which is the node? Is their firmware up-to-date, and identical?

Have you tried simply rebooting the system (via the AiMesh tab in the Gui)?

Have you tried removing the node, fully resetting it once more (it gets reset when you remove it), and then re-associating it again?

Has this issue always been the case? Or did this work at all in the past?

If you haven't fully reset the router (and node) lately, or at all, that is what I would be pursuing if the above suggestions don't work.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Thanks for the reply L&LD,

What is your main router? Which is the node? Is their firmware up-to-date, and identical? Main router and node are both ASUS AC3000 CT8 (bought as a two piece bundle), Firmware on both is up to date and same on each.

Have you tried simply rebooting the system (via the AiMesh tab in the Gui)? Yes, no different.

Have you tried removing the node, fully resetting it once more (it gets reset when you remove it), and then re-associating it again? No, will give this a go after work.

Has this issue always been the case? Or did this work at all in the past? Not something I had consciously noticed previously.

If you haven't fully reset the router (and node) lately, or at all, that is what I would be pursuing if the above suggestions don't work. Will give the whole system and clean start later after work and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Hi guys,

Having a problem with my AC3000 setup. Running a router + single mesh node configuration on latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_47399. Problem was happening on previous version too. I have Smart connect turned off.
Problem seems to be with the mesh node which only seems to share out the 5Ghz band WiFi. There are no devices connected to the node that are on 2.4Ghz (I have some older devices that don't support 5Ghz). All 2.4G devices will only connect to the main router, whihc is further away from some of them.
I'm sat at the side of the node with my iPhone and when I select my 5G SSID in WiFi settings it connects happily to the node. When I select the 2.4G SSID it drops off the node and connects to the main router which again is further away.
Am I missing something in the config that forces this or any other thoughts on what the cause could be and how to fix it please?

Many thanks.

I was seeing the same issue with my CT8 nodes, where the 2.4GHz SSID would randomly disappear from the nodes. My main router is an XT8, and previously when I had one of the CT8's as the router, the CT8 node had the same issue. After working back-and-forth with ASUS support for almost a year, they finally had me send my two CT8 nodes in for RMA, as it appears to be a hardware issue with the 2.4GHz radio. I have not received them back yet, as they are waiting on parts (sent them in 3 weeks ago). TBD if this will fix the issue or not.

Have you used a tool like NetSpot (free app for your smartphone or Windows) to see if your CT8 node is broadcasting on the 2.4GHz channel? If you see it is truly missing (as mine was), then you may have the same hardware issue I experienced. If I rebooted the CT8 node, then the 2.4GHz SSID from it would work again for a while (anywhere from a few minutes to a few days) before dropping out.

Tom

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!