What's new

AC3200 Can't Connect with PuTTy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gr3men

New Around Here
I'm on firmware 3.0.0.4.382_52651

I've been having an issue with my routers ram and cpu resources being used up to the point it drops connections to clients..
I followed this thread and a solution seemed simple enough-> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-lockup-every-10mins.85018/page-3#post-842138

Thinking to myself, this cant be that easy.........:/
Downloaded PuTTy..
On Asus router, turned on SSH and selected a port.
Launched PuTTy, selected SSH type, entered routers ip address (192.168.1.1) port 29, hit Open. A command screen pops up, a second later I get a message "Netword Error: Connection refused"

Somewhat confused, I go to youtube.. I watch this video and it makes it look simple enough ->
So what gives? Is there something not being communicated on PuTTy? When the command window pops up, nothing about admin/password..
Keep in mind this is my first time trying this.

You can do it in SSH:

Thank you for the vote of confidence.. But the point of my OP is that I tried connecting using SSH...

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is there a setting in PuTTy I have to configure before making the connection that I didn't cover in my OP? Is there a setting on the Asus router, other than SSH on and port selection, that needs to be turned on?

On Asus router, turned on SSH and selected a port.
Launched PuTTy, selected SSH type, entered routers ip address (192.168.1.1) port 29, hit Open. A command screen pops up, a second later I get a message "Netword Error: Connection refused"
What port did you select or input on the Asus router when you enabled SSH? 29 or some other port? Did you select the "Apply" button on the router GUI after enabling SSH?

Reboot the router and your client device and try again.

But the point of my OP is that I tried connecting using SSH...

I was under impression PuTTy in particular is your issue.

You don't need to change the default port 22 with SSH access from LAN Only.

Interesting video. Netgear R7000 running Xwrt-Vortex unauthorized port of Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. :)

Thanks for all the replies. After restarting both devices, I was able to get the "Accept" prompt to come up. I was able to type in "admin" , but on the next line it wouldn't allow me to type the password at all.. Seriously, on the next line I couldn't type at all. These software/hardware quirks tend to get overlooked in the "simple to operate" guides..

The router issue was eventually fixed by a factory reset.

I was able to type in "admin" , but on the next line it wouldn't allow me to type the password at all.. Seriously, on the next line I couldn't type at all.
It was allowing you to type the password, it's just that it doesn't show anything on the screen when you enter it. It's for security, to stop people seeing how many characters your password has.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!