What's new

AC66U as media bridge - how to update firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
How do I update the FW on my ac66u which is running as a media bridge? I run an ethernet cable from the WAN port to my ethernet port on my laptop, but it never lets me connect to 192.168.1.1

Windows 7 always says "identifying" under networks

UPDATE: I had to use device discovery to get the right ip

Last edited:
Remove it from the network and connect directly to it with a fixed IP address on your computer or laptop. Complete the update and then put it back into service as a media bridge.

if you now know the IP of your bridge you can log into it and flash it with new firmware. Probably not the most fool proof way but this is how I update my Ac66 media bridge every new Merlin release and I've never had an issue.

You can log into it wirelessly and flash it that way. I do this all the time when I upgrade firmware on my AC66U that is running as a repeater. You just need to know the IP address on your network that the bridge has been assigned. One way of course to do this is log into your router (to which your bridge connects) and look at the Administration page, and go to the DHCP Leases tab, where you should find a list of all of the devices on your network that have been assigned DHCP leases by your router.

Wired or wireless, as long as you don't unplug the device you're upgrading/downgrading during the flashing process (or lose power), you should be fine. Likewise, if you need to do a factory reset, you can do that from the same page as well and do it wirelessly. Works just fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!