What's new

AC66U gets stuck applying settings, is it faulty?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HamishM

New Around Here
I have a brand new AC66U. (My N66U died, ASUS sent me a brand new AC66U as a replacement.)

I'm having a lot of trouble with it getting stuck applying settings in the web interface though. I'm using the stock ASUS firmware and I've upgraded it to the very latest, 3.0.0.4_378_4850, although I had this problem with 3.0.0.4-374 which I also tried.

Basically my procedure was;
1. power it on;
2. login to 192.168.1.1, run through the quick start and get connected to the internet OK.
3. change LAN address to 192.168.42.1. apply OK.
4. add DHCP reservation for one host, apply - gets stuck on "applying" or "proceeding", never returns. Then I can't use the reboot function in the interface either. Same if I try to change the DHCP lease address range.

I've been able to enable telnet before changing the IP, and login ok.

Sometimes I've seen settings get applied but are lost after reboot. I've performed a reset using WPS button + power on several times, and I've even erased the whole NVRAM block with "mtd-erase -d nvram", but none of this has helped.

Feels like it's faulty to me.... ?
I had no such trouble at all with the N66U, until it packed up and died one day.

If you're changing the LAN address to a different subnet of course you can't connect again?

Do you reboot the router and the computer after changing the subnet? Do you add DHCP reservation for one host while on a different subnet than the one the router is on (seems impossible, but you seem to be able to do that)?

• Reset to factory defaults.
  • Minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. REBOOT the router.
  • Change the IP subnet. REBOOT the router and your computer. Ensure your computer is connecting within the new subnet range.
  • Add your DHCP reservations. REBOOT the router and the computer. Ensure the computer is now being given the reservation you indicated.
Hope the above helps you achieve want you need.

I was able to connect again after changing the LAN address, to the new address, of course.

But then when I add a DHCP reservation or change the range, the web interface hangs applying the new setting change. I have rebooted before and after, which doesn't help.

The device continues to route ok and there's nothing in the logs.

I never had this trouble with my N66U.

Okay, did you do the first two steps in the list?

It reboots itself when you apply the LAN IP address change. It's not necessary to do it explicitly.

Anyway, I plugged in the router with just one desktop connected to the LAN side, and nothing on the wifi. Then I connected the WAN side into my old router. I'm able to set it up just fine. So I suspect something else on the LAN is confusing it (or perhaps something on the WAN).

I'll try it as the proper router again in a minute. But now that I think the hardware is probably good, I'll ditch the ASUS firmware anyway.

I did consider it, but I want to use the TINC VPN and afaik only Tomato-Shibby has integrated that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!