What's new

AC86U router temperature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Markfree

Regular Contributor
I'm using the following method to check my AC86U router temperature from the command line.
CPU, 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio:
Code:
# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

# wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }'

# wl -i eth6 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }'
Is there another way to check the radio chips temperature?

Thanks

Yes, just look at the Tools tab and also see the CPU temps too. :)

Yes, just look at the Tools tab and also see the CPU temps too. :)
Thanks for the tip L&LD.
Do you happen to know if there's, maybe, another command we can issue to check temperature? Or maybe we can read a file just like CPU temp?

No, I don't. Maybe some else can help here. :)

For CPU
cat /proc/dmu/temperature
That doesn't work on my AC86U.

You can read CPU temperature using
Code:
# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
or

But I was hopping to find some similar reading method, if it does exist, for wireless radios.

To run "wl" command, I guess root is necessary.
Could I run wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }' as a non-root user?

I'm not very good with console commands, but I'll be happy if you could give me some directions.
How would I try that at the router? Or, how could I permit a non-root user to run specific commands? o_O

I'm using Zabbix to monitor my router and to gather data. So, I installed Zabbix-agent and it uses user "zabbix" to collect data. This user is limited though.
Code:
zabbix:x:501:501::/dev/null:/dev/null
At the Zabbix server side, by using "zabbix_get" I'm able to test monitored items, like CPU temperature.
Code:
$ zabbix_get -s diasdm -p 10050 -k "system.run[cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp]"

When I try to read wireless radio temperature it gives me an error.
Code:
$ zabbix_get -s diasdm -p 10050 -k "system.run[wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{print $1/2+20}']"
wl: wl driver adapter not found

With that I assumed there's a permission error, since "wl" is not capable to run.

Well, it can't bend a spoon that's not there. But what sort of 'Linux Capabilities' were you specifically thinking about?

I was reading about setting user-id permissions and came across Linux Capabilities. As I understood, it provides a subset of the available root privileges to a process, like explainded in this article.
I was hopping to set some capabilities permission to "/usr/sbin/wl" but could not find any of those:
"setcap"
"getcap"
"capsh"

heyo

im 86u owner for a while now
iv'e tested router performance with/out external fans and my god it does make a difference
router without external fans got to a temps high as 70-75C
with fans it got to low as 49 C

pJvpWcH

https://imgur.com/a/pJvpWcH

heyo

im 86u owner for a while now
iv'e tested router performance with/out external fans and my god it does make a difference
router without external fans got to a temps high as 70-75C
with fans it got to low as 49 C

pJvpWcH

https://imgur.com/a/pJvpWcH
Yes, I kept watching the temp, it's averaging 65-75C ,, I guess you use pull configuration so the external fan will pull the heat out from the back of the AC86U?

I'm using the following method to check my AC86U router temperature from the command line.
CPU, 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio:
Code:

# wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }'

# wl -i eth6 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }'
Is there another way to check the radio chips temperature?

Thanks
These all work fine for me on an AC86U. What is the conversion value for these numbers? How does 73364 map to degrees celsius for example (simply 73.364 C?). And why the math on the output of the radio chips? (I'm using ASUS firmware, so I don't have a nice tools tab for temperature...)

Last edited:
Another way is from web page:

Here is a sample from my AC86U:
Code:
curr_coreTmp_2_raw = "disabled"; curr_coreTmp_2 = (curr_coreTmp_2_raw.indexOf("disabled") > 0 ? 0 : curr_coreTmp_2_raw.replace("°C", "")); curr_coreTmp_5_raw = "47°C"; curr_coreTmp_5 = (curr_coreTmp_5_raw.indexOf("disabled") > 0 ? 0 : curr_coreTmp_5_raw.replace("°C", "")); curr_coreTmp_52_raw = "disabled"; curr_coreTmp_52 = (curr_coreTmp_52_raw.indexOf("disabled") > 0 ? 0 : curr_coreTmp_52_raw.replace("°C", "")); curr_cpuTemp = "63.552"; fanctrl_info = "";

I have 2.4Ghz radio disabled. As you can see, the 5Ghz radio temp 47°C matches the calculation.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth6 phy_tempsense | awk '{print $1 / 2 + 20}'

And why the math on the output of the radio chips? (I'm using ASUS firmware, so I don't have a nice tools tab for temperature...)
By reading "phy_tempsense" and using Merlin's formula, we can match the frontend's temperature, indeed.
I also would like to know why change WL command output with a formula.

Looking into "WL" command's help, I could not find any reference to "phy_tempsense" command.
I found a similar document from DD-WRT wiki for WL command, but it didn't have information on "phy_tempsense" as well.
Unfortunately DD-WRT refereces are "not found" anymore.

Since WL comes from a proprietary Broadcom wireless LAN driver, I could not find much information about WL usage other then the help itself. Also, Broadcom's documentation seems very cryptic to me.

I guess RMerlin's formula is correct, but why?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!