What's new

AC86U router temperature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

By reading "phy_tempsense" and using Merlin's formula, we can match the frontend's temperature, indeed.
I also would like to know why change WL command output with a formula.

Looking into "WL" command's help, I could not find any reference to "phy_tempsense" command.
I found a similar document from DD-WRT wiki for WL command, but it didn't have information on "phy_tempsense" as well.
Unfortunately DD-WRT refereces are "not found" anymore.

Since WL comes from a proprietary Broadcom wireless LAN driver, I could not find much information about WL usage other then the help itself. Also, Broadcom's documentation seems very cryptic to me.

I guess RMerlin's formula is correct, but why?
Because he read the code which had that formula.

Why did Asus use that formula? Because Broadcom does.

Why did Broadcom use that formula? Probably because they wanted better than 1C resolution, and wanted to go higher than 127.5C. So 0 means 20C (50F, cold for a chip) and 255 means 147.5C (297.5F), which is hot enough to melt some types of plastic. (A guess based on my embedded programming experience).

Must be missing something here but on my 86 there is no temperature tab?

It's only available in Asuswrt-Merlin. You can see the CPU temperature in Asuswrt as well on this page:

You have to be logged in the GUI and adjust http/https accordingly to whatever you use for GUI access.

interesting about the link you gave me, neither of my browsers (DDG and brave) will open it "site cant be reached" ya i wish i did the merlin thing months ago...

I found a way using incognito but its a link to sign into my router, should i be looking for some tab or....?

found a way around it, does this look ok?
#
It's only available in Asuswrt-Merlin. You can see the CPU temperature in Asuswrt as well on this page:

You have to be logged in the GUI and adjust http/https accordingly to whatever you use for GUI access.
#technotme

fanctrl_info = ; curr_cpuTemp = "71.892"; curr_rxData = fanctrl_info[3]; curr_coreTmp_2 = fanctrl_info[1]; curr_coreTmp_5 = fanctrl_info[2];

This is normal temperature for this router. It has an issue when you see 85C and above at idle. The issue is design, quality control and materials related. Monitor it from time to time because the thermal transfer pads used deteriorate over time. This router has other common hardware issues as well.

This is normal temperature for this router. It has an issue when you see 85C and above at idle. The issue is design, quality control and materials related. Monitor it from time to time because the thermal transfer pads used deteriorate over time. This router has other common hardware issues as well.
great cheers. Yes, indeed the only other issue that I am aware of is the dead ac86u sitting in the corner of my room I think because of this chip issue. I plan to get a new AX86u or a gt-ax6000 on January 1st (following reviews I feel comfortable with) as the sales right now show great prices until the 5th. Also, my company spending account doesn't kick in until the first so I gotta wait!! cheers again mate

My modified AC86U:

1671898850320.png

Merry Christmas!

I have used some sort of fan cooling on this ASUS router style of package for years. Many say you don`t need them, but cooling makes the router last longer and run a lot more stable. I have used this style for years with my now retired rt-ac68u and that router never had one hiccup since installing fans. Bought the RT-AC68u the first month it was released for purchase. I found the cooling fans setup a year later on eBay and have keep it cool till retirement this week. This style which you can find at Walmart work great. The only modification was to replace the metal guards with ones that held filters to keep dust out of router. Temps were also in the 30`s after installation. If your concerned about the high temps this is the easiest solution, and they work. All my routers, RT-AX6000, now my new GT-AX6000, all have fan cooling solutions. My GT-AX6000 sits on a furnace duct fan booster setup that I made for the RT-AX6000 and the new router runs around 32c to 37c and the same for the RT-AX6000 sitting on a similar cooling plate. I know users are going to call this overkill, but with cooling, I never have issues. So, for me, cooling works and I will stick with it. My cooling plates are made with fan plate from AC Infinity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1Set-Coo...p.ds&msclkid=473f23c7c8eb1f3fff914060faeed5cd.

AIRPLATE S5, Home Theater and AV Quiet Cabinet Cooling Fan System, 8 Inch - AC Infinity

Years ago, I noticed that the CPU Temps were high. Ever since, I've reverted all my current and new installs to RT-AC86U_384.19_0 firmware. Temps are back to normal, and I get speeds of over 250 mbps over vpn. When on the later merlin firmware's, I get about 160 mbps over vpn and the temps were high. I consider this firmware stable and works perfectly.

Years ago, I noticed that the CPU Temps were high. Ever since, I've reverted all my current and new installs to RT-AC86U_384.19_0 firmware. Temps are back to normal, and I get speeds of over 250 mbps over vpn. When on the later merlin firmware's, I get about 160 mbps over vpn and the temps were high. I consider this firmware stable and works perfectly.
You should not do that to your main router.
There is a lot of security related fix ever since 384.19.
Staying on 384 for a few degree C cooler is not a good idea, unless you have a hardware firewall.

You should not do that to your main router.
There is a lot of security related fix ever since 384.19.
Staying on 384 for a few degree C cooler is not a good idea, unless you have a hardware firewall.
Thanks. At some point, I'll give it another try. I don't really mind if the router runs hotter. how does it matter? However, I don't like the reduced speeds. If the router gets spoilt spponer, that is ok as this router has gone down in price as well. One of my ac86u just died. This was the initial Chinese version which I purchased in 2018 from alibaba when the router was just released.

I opened it up to try to fix it but no luck.

ASadani said:
Thats a sign your router is running too hot. They lose performance and you can start having connection issues. CPU`s do not like running hot and neither do radio chips. Thats why you see cooling fan kits for this style router out on the net and they work. Try a fan kit and then the latest firmware. You will be happy with the results. Make sure if you do get a fan kit to make sure you get filter for fans, so you do not fill router with dust which defeats what you're doing with the cooling fans.

I get speeds of over 250 mbps over vpn. When on the later merlin firmware's, I get about 160 mbps

This is correct observation, but don't use 2 years old firmware.

Thats a sign your router is running too hot. They lose performance and you can start having connection issues.

In this case it's OpenVPN version and changes in 386 firmware related.

Any data related to actual router performance improvement at the lower temp?

There is no performance improvements unless the CPU was reaching 100C and shutting down cores to protect itself.

Hi,
My AC86U is running all time around 83°C.
I have add 2 noctua 60mm and shut down to 42°C, but too noisy cause of wind only.
I'm waiting for an USB regulator to go down with potentiometer, but waiting it, is there a risk by running my router with this temperature ?

Thks.

what does the manual's specification page say about operating temperatures? If the router is in a place where the ambient air temperature is within that range, it has been designed to relatively effectively keep itself at the right, or at least a safe, temperature internally.

clear the air passages of dirt/dust regularly and you should be fine. if it starts to creep higher than 90C, then have a fan move some air past it...but 2 60mm fans at full throttle might be too much lol - attempting to pass 300+cfm into 0.1cubic feet (if that!) would make the fan work too hard

a more interesting project for you than tweaking your router might be to build a PWM controller for one of those fans with a RasPi pico. it can be powered from the router (the fan will need an external power supply), but if you can find a way to pass the router's temperature info to the pico wirelessly, you would never have to concern yourself with temperature monitoring again

what does the manual's specification page say about operating temperatures? If the router is in a place where the ambient air temperature is within that range, it has been designed to relatively effectively keep itself at the right, or at least a safe, temperature internally.

clear the air passages of dirt/dust regularly and you should be fine. if it starts to creep higher than 90C, then have a fan move some air past it...but 2 60mm fans at full throttle might be too much lol - attempting to pass 300+cfm into 0.1cubic feet (if that!) would make the fan work too hard

a more interesting project for you than tweaking your router might be to build a PWM controller for one of those fans with a RasPi pico. it can be powered from the router (the fan will need an external power supply), but if you can find a way to pass the router's temperature info to the pico wirelessly, you would never have to concern yourself with temperature monitoring again
I have Jeedom as domotic solution, but don't know if i can use it to import values of temp and make a scene...
For the moment, after changing Thermal pads and with fan disabled i'm around 73°C.
IS it acceptable ?