What's new

Tutorial AdGuard Home - adblocker - Clean install on Asus Merlin (No 3rd party scripts !!!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Make sure you are using the correct adguardhome that corresponds to your router architecture. (The RTAX-88u works with arrch64 i.e. armv8).
View attachment 37929

Make sure you are following/(and understanding) each step of the guide before attempting any of the steps. If you have confusion, ask for any missing clarification.
I made sure I downloaded the correct version.
I have an ARMv7. So I downloaded that from the github page. Even tried different versions. All fail.
Now I just installed it on a RPi I had laying around.

I made sure I downloaded the correct version.
I have an ARMv7. So I downloaded that from the github page. Even tried different versions. All fail.
Now I just installed it on a RPi I had laying around.
Some people reported having to use the armv6 or armv5 on the armv7 routers. The binaries are given as is, so it is hard to tell if they will work on every router. It is all on adguardhomes developers end. So if you wish to get it to work on your router, you may be able to report any errors you are seeing to the adguard home github. The errors could actually be serious issues that they don't know about but need to fix.

Last edited:
Please provide more details or screenshots to replicate these issues.
Hi thanks for the reply, i started fresh again hand have 64bit Entware then i ran your first code

cd /opt/etc
wget -c https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/edge/AdGuardHome_linux_arm64.tar.gz
tar xfvz AdGuardHome_linux_arm64.tar.gz
rm -rf AdGuardHome_linux_arm64.tar.gz
cd AdGuardHome

this was the result
code1.PNG

Hi thanks for the reply, i started fresh again hand have 64bit Entware then i ran your first code

cd /opt/etc
wget -c https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/edge/AdGuardHome_linux_arm64.tar.gz
cd AdGuardHome

this was the result
View attachment 37942
Fixed. Missing a dash in the tar command. Now redo those steps but put a dash infront of the -xfvz in the tar command or just recopy and paste the commands from the post; I have added the appropriate dash mark.

cd /opt/etc
cd AdGuardHome

this was the result
View attachment 37942

@Bokkoman

were you having this same issue? if so, that explains why you couldn't get anything to work. the tar command needed a dash in the instructions provided by the post. If you want to retry, you might be able to get it to work.

Fixed. Missing a dash in the tar command. Now redo those steps but put a dash infront of the -xfvz in the tar command or just recopy and paste the commands from the post; I have added the appropriate dash mark.
Hi before i start what is meant by "Save it and make it executable" further down in the script

tried the start with the - added, but still shows tar: can't open
Something has to be wrong with it downloading the tar file then, otherwise I cannot troubleshoot why your router is not able to perform normal tar commands from ssh terminal. I am unable to replicate the same issue on my router.

Last edited:
tried the start with the - added, but still shows tar: can't open
Try this: "tar -xvzf AdGuardHome_linux_arm64.tar.gz"

Hi @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow What do you think about this question?
@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow I think the method shown in the following link can do what I want from you in this title. Am I thinking wrong?

I have no opinion on whether this will work or not, but it may be worth a try. I don't have the openvpn setup required to test if for you. You do alot when it comes to establishing routes and using iptables to direct things, but there is not a one size fits all approach. Routes can get confused as to what to do when too many are being used. You have to be very specific when defining your setup. For instance you may wind up having to route dns outside the tunnel but that may be okay if you are using encrypted dns, but it still will leak your wan to the upstream dns provider. There is alot of give and take. Adguard home can be setup to listen on multiple interfaces. The advantage of this is that if you tell the vpn to use the address it uses on that interface, then it could potentially do what you may be trying to do. Again it relies on you experimenting.

Hi thanks I‘m on an iPad at the moment so I will give it a go later, I hope I can get this too work it’s the best ad software I’ve used second is pi-hole sorry did try the Diversion, sorry but not that impressed it’s probably me.
My problem with using adguard home as a working setup is that the latency on loading pages is higher because it works alot harder to turn out dns in combination with its filtering methods. Also, the ipv6 setup is very limited and also leaky right now. Once they resolve the ipv6 issue I have posted on the their issue tracker and the combined clients suggested by @gspannu and other asuswrt merlin users , I may consider trying it out again as a working setup. The things I love about diversion @thelonelycoder work, is that it just works, and it is simple to use. It integrates into asuswrt-merlin with ease and does adequate blocking . With @Jack Yaz statistic tracking, it is even better. When @thelonelycoder updates, it is substantial to the overall performance, security, and stability of running asuswrt-merlin and it lacks all the quirks that some of the other top shelf brand adblockers has.

Last edited:

Yes that worked many thanks stuck deciding on the AdGuard
Hi thanks I‘m on an iPad at the moment so I will give it a go later, I hope I can get this too work it’s the best ad software I’ve used second is pi-hole sorry did try the Diversion, sorry but not that impressed it’s probably me.
Yes that worked many thanks i need to configure AdGuard again as it had several options on the AdGuard works they were something like LO 2 eth0 ports which one and TUN and two radio BR but i chose LO thinking it would be local LAN the other problem i cant get back into the initial setup, then what to chose because eth0 is OK but i run a VPN client so do i chose TUN and what happens when if the VPN is shut down.
Sorry hope it makes sense as i cant get back into the setup to properly list the options

Yes that worked many thanks stuck deciding on the AdGuard

Yes that worked many thanks i need to configure AdGuard again as it had several options on the AdGuard works they were something like LO 2 eth0 ports which one and TUN and two radio BR but i chose LO thinking it would be local LAN the other problem i cant get back into the initial setup, then what to chose because eth0 is OK but i run a VPN client so do i chose TUN and what happens when if the VPN is shut down.
Sorry hope it makes sense as i cant get back into the setup to properly list the options
AdGuard Home does support multiple interfaces. Look at your YAML file and delve into the section…
dns:
bind_hosts:

Start by setting it to 0.0.0.0 so that all interfaces are enabled. Check everything works.
Then change the 0.0.0.0 to the Interface addresses you actually need. You can add multiple entries of interfaces. Play around …

example:
# Different network interfaces.
'dns':
'bind_hosts':
- '207.192.63.100'
- '127.0.0.1'
- '10.1.1.1'
- '10.8.0.1'

The above example is AdGuardHome listening on Public IP (207.192….) as well as local host as well as private IP (virtual eth1) and also on OpenVPN (10.8….)

Read here for AdGuardHome config file.

UPDATE
Or the alternative is to listen on all interfaces (0.0.0.0) but firewall everything and open only routes that you need.
Really depends how you are running AdGuaradHome.

If running on a local machine (RPi or something) behind your router then you probably can keep all interfaces enabled - as your server is already behind a router.
If running on a public IP server (say in the cloud), then you should limit the interfaces and definitely firewall the interfaces.

UPDATE 2:
In order to get back to initial setup, do the following:
cd into AdGuardHome folder…
1) Stop AdGuardHome (sudo ./AdGuardHome -s stop)
2) Make a backup of your AdGuard file (mv AdGuardHome.yaml AdGuardHome-v1.bak)
3) Uninstall AdGuardHome (sudo ./AdGuardHome -s uninstall)
4) Reinstall AdGuardHome (sudo ./AdGuardHome -s install) and you can setup everything again.
Use the backup file to compare/ get back to current status.

Last edited:
AdGuard Home does support multiple interfaces. Look at your YAML file and delve into the section…
dns:
bind_hosts:

Start by setting it to 0.0.0.0 so that all interfaces are enabled. Check everything works.
Then change the 0.0.0.0 to the Interface addresses you actually need. You can add multiple entries of interfaces. Play around …

example:
# Different network interfaces.
'dns':
'bind_hosts':
- '207.192.63.100'
- '127.0.0.1'
- '10.1.1.1'
- '10.8.0.1'

The above example is AdGuardHome listening on Public IP (207.192….) as well as local host as well as private IP (virtual eth1) and also on OpenVPN (10.8….)

Read here for AdGuardHome config file.

UPDATE
Or the alternative is to listen on all interfaces (0.0.0.0) but firewall everything and open only routes that you need.
Really depends how you are running AdGuaradHome.

If running on a local machine (RPi or something) behind your router then you probably can keep all interfaces enabled - as your server is already behind a router.
If running on a public IP server (say in the cloud), then you should limit the interfaces and definitely firewall the interfaces.

UPDATE 2:
In order to get back to initial setup, do the following:
cd into AdGuardHome folder…
1) Stop AdGuardHome (sudo ./AdGuardHome -s stop)
2) Make a backup of your AdGuard file (mv AdGuardHome.yaml AdGuardHome-v1.bak)
3) Uninstall AdGuardHome (sudo ./AdGuardHome -s uninstall)
4) Reinstall AdGuardHome (sudo ./AdGuardHome -s install) and you can setup everything again.
Use the backup file to compare/ get back to current status.
Unfortunately i couldn't uninstall ii got a message it was protected, so i formatted the disk and started again now when i bring up the ADGurad setup page :3000 it reports theis

Listen interface
listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use

DNS
listen udp 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use

and a lot more complicated things to do to resolve it

Unfortunately i couldn't uninstall ii got a message it was protected, so i formatted the disk and started again now when i bring up the ADGurad setup page :3000 it reports theis

Listen interface
listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use

DNS
listen udp 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use

and a lot more complicated things to do to resolve it
maybe you should look at their guide on their wiki maybe you can overcome these technical stumbling blocks you are having.

i got a strange feeling this is being held in the routers ram so i will see if i can clear it without resetting the router.
thanks
Have a Good Christmas

i found this to try latter "nvram erase"
If I’m not up to getting AdGuard working is it possible to use a second router say like a GL.iNet router and setup the DNS to use the GL.iNet router, I’ve done it before but not sure what happens when you use a VPN client

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!