What's new

Advice about a powerful router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

railroader66

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I am using currently the Asus RT-AC88U router however I recently got Netflix ( on 3 screens)throughout my apartment and since then I have noticed that in the room where the router stand the signal is powerful but once I go in another room the signal is very weak. At about 12 meter the signal gets next to zero. Closing a door between rooms also means loss of signal.
Are there more powerful models I could buy to replace the current one ?
I would like to get your advice.

Greetings from Belgium,
Gilbert

RT-AC88U has pretty decent WiFi coverage, actually. There are newer models with better radio modules sensitivity (coverage), but it's not much much better (up to 30%). If you see almost total signal loss with your current router, a newer model may or may not improve the signal enough.

Your options:
- adjust the router's antennae position. In a single floor apartment they all should be straight up like ||||, not \\//.
- move your router to a more central and higher off the floor position of the apartment, if possible.
- add one more ASUS router and run AiMesh. The cheapest model with AiMesh support is RT-AC66U B1, it's <$100.
- add a good WiFi extender. AiMesh does the same thing and the price of RT-AC66U B1 is similar to a good extender.
- replace RT-AC88U with other home mesh system of your choice (Netgear Orbi, Google WiFi, TP-Link Deco, etc.)

What band are you on? Have you tried different channels to find the best one?

Are you able to relocate your router? Even a few feet may make the difference.

How are the antennae positioned? Have you tested the orientation of the router, to see if it makes a difference?

Something to consider is that the construction of the wall could be blocking RF much more than usual in which case there is no wireless solution

Could the Asus AI Mesh Wlan RT-AX92U a possible solution to my problem ?
Does anyone use this router , or are there better ?
Relocation did not help.
Regards,

@railroader66 a little more details would be very helpful here from you. :)

Right now, anything can be a possible solution, as all we can do is guess with the information provided.

Reactions: a5m
I have noticed that in the room where the router stand the signal is powerful but once I go in another room the signal is very weak. At about 12 meter the signal gets next to zero.
Are you using 5GHz? That band has horrible penetration characteristics. Use 2.4 GHz wherever possible. My RT-AC88U gives excellent signal over my entire home and 1/2-acre property and even another 30 meters past my property - and that's with dozens of other AP's in the neighborhood.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!