What's new

Alerting on temperature and CPU usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rkrmpg

New Around Here
Before I attempt to create I thought I would throw this question to others.
Has anyone created a script that can send an email alert if any of the temperatures of the router reach x degrees for x minutes
and/or
if CPU usage reaches x for x minutes then send an email alert?

i can think of this interesting, but otherwise worthless script.
Code:
    logger -st "Thermal Critical" "Waiting for Things to Cool Down..."
    heattimer=0
    while [ "$(nvram get heattimer)" = "0" ] && [ "$heattimer" -lt "3000" ]; do
        heattimer=$((heattimer+1))
        sleep 1
    done

if [ "$heattimer" -ge "3000" ]; then
        logger -st "Thermal Critical" "Things Got too HOT!"
                reboot     

fi

i can think of this interesting, but otherwise worthless script.
:D:D:D
Alerting on temperature
My suggestion: not needed at all - see many discussions in the forum about it!
Some add Notebook Cooler Stands to cool the router - which is completely useless as the Temp is never a problem. :eek:
Alerting on CPU usage
Well, similar to the cooling topic: Not needed, as it's normally not a problem at all.
If the CPU is used it's needed and you can do nothing about it - only in some rare cases in the past (with ill behaving) the router could go ballistic in CPU usage - but this was fixed long time ago. :rolleyes:

My suggestion: not needed at all - see many discussions in the forum about it!
Some add Notebook Cooler Stands to cool the router - which is completely useless as the Temp is never a problem. :eek:

You are a true genius. You must be in the computer hardware manufacturing business. I love dropping by this forum every so often to find fascinating facts.

You are a true genius. You must be in the computer hardware manufacturing business. I love dropping by this forum every so often to find fascinating facts.
Here are the facts: Router CPUs are build for >100° C temps - but people perfer to belive in Chemtrails and Too High router CPU Temps! ;)
And do not forget to dicuss the high memory usage on Linux/Router systems. A very big problem with no solution... :rolleyes:

I'm not challenging you joe on your greatness. Your facts are amazing and enlightening. Keep on overclocking those consumer grade routers of yours. You're absolutely a genius.