Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[alpha] Early preview builds for Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RMerlin, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naftali Oziel

Naftali Oziel Regular Contributor

If am in N only mode, is there a purpose for airtime fairness to be enabled?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Occasional Visitor

Running for a couple of days on my RT-AC66U now, Wifi 5G seems to be more stable then on 380.65.

3. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Very Senior Member

Airtime fairness is mostly used when you have slower legacy devices paired with newer, faster devices. These devices need more resources to accomplish similar workloads so they take away resources from faster network clients. So enabling airtime fairness decreases the performance of faster devices when you have them connected with legacy devices on the same network.

Edit: I originally misspoke here and said increases instead of decreases. Sorry for the confusion. :rolleyes:

You should be able to see where this is going. By selecting N only you have narrowed the network protocols to one so you have eliminated the slower network protocols. Therefore, airtime fairness becomes irrelevant. While it shouldn't affect your network performance if it were to be enabled, I am always of the mind that less is more. In this specific instance I would not enable it.

I should have also included:
    1) long physical distance
    2) weak signal strength,

as being contributing factors to slow the speed of wifi devices.

Here is a link which better explains airtime fairness. I strongly encourage you to read it in its entirety.

https://routerguide.net/airtime-fairness-on-or-off/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    heysoundude and rtn66uftw like this.
  4. stambeccuccio

stambeccuccio Senior Member

...not exactly:
    The relatively “slow” wifi speed devices can be slow from:
    1) long physical distance
    2) weak signal strength,
    3) or simply being a legacy device with older technology.

5. Reinvented

Reinvented Regular Contributor

Here to report, I've put a load on my router and it's still doing just fine. Connections are holding up, and the QoS is classifying traffic correctly.

However, I do have one problem that I've had since 380.65 and that's the Traffic Analyzer isn't showing any incoming traffic on the 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz network tabs (the blue colored), which is pretty strange still. Is there something to remedy this?

6. WET

WET Occasional Visitor

I have now determined that one client of mine had a print spooler problem which I have now corrected. I have had no issue with my wired HP Printer on 380.65, 380.65-2 or 380.66 alpha2 which I am now running on.

heysoundude likes this.
  7. quant88

quant88 Occasional Visitor

Flashed 380.66 to my RT-AC88U. Basic wifi functions are working ok. Not using QOS and VPN features.
    However, I am unable to print on the Samsung wireless printer with this alpha version. Revert back to 380.65_2 and it is wifi printing is fine.

8. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Have you read the included Changelog?

9. Blinkyz

Blinkyz Senior Member

Changelog
    Known issues:
    * Some wifi clients such as wireless printers
    have connectivity issues. Try disabling
    Airtime Fairness as a potential workaround. ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    joltdude likes this.
  10. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Very Senior Member

You are correct. However, I posted "mostly used", specifically spoke to item #3 and included a link that went over airtime fairness in much greater detail. Thanks for your clarification though.

stambeccuccio likes this.
  11. Radiohead

Radiohead New Around Here

Stable after 7 days running. http://prntscr.com/elwf0v

The only issue is after a reboot I need to stop and restart the secondary WAN connection before it goes to standby. But then this has been the case with previous versions as well. Is this default behaviour? Fail over and fail back work well with a FTTx and a DSL connection.

12. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

So far this build have way more stable Wifi over the latest Asus FW 7266

Just a question, by default the Airtime Fairness is enabled, i have no idea what this thing does, just read here inthe topic that some people are disabling it because of printes....

I don`t have a printer in my enviroment, should i let this on or off? Mimo is on as well in both 3 bands

Thanks for the nice work again @RMerlin

13. kibosh

kibosh Regular Contributor

You are using 380.65 which is based on an older GPL. Asus broke airtime fairness sometime after, that is why you don't have an issue.

wsarahan and Sanna1967 like this.
  14. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

So should i let this one or or off in this alpha2 build?

15. bluepoint

bluepoint Very Senior Member

Test it yourself. Airtime fairness seems to have an effect with my two sons iPhone 7/7+ that are both at the edge of the wireless range(-70dBm) with intel modems(AT&T). Both are complaining lags when streaming video when "airtime fairness" is enabled. Disabling AF solves that problem. Ill see hopefully, when iOS 10.3 is released next week possibly new intel driver will be introduced and solves the lagging.

16. Reinvented

This lag your sons experiences is one of the effects of airtime fairness. Probably because they are so far away, and therefore it doesn't prioritize those devices at all. In fact, it will reduce the amount of traffic that they receive like you noticed, and immediately were able to stream again when it was turned off.

In my opinion, it's a useless feature and causes more problems than not. Proper QoS setup and proper wireless settings will trump airtime fairness any time.

17. kibosh

kibosh Regular Contributor

I have not noticed any adverse effects in disabling airtime fairness. As @RMerlin said earlier, "MU-MIMO, Airtime Fairness, Beamforming - those are all extensions that haven't been fully tested by everyone involved." I can tell you it definitely fixes airprint issues and also with my wireless clients disappearing and reappearing at random in the client list.

18. bluepoint

I was thinking about that but when I tried my wife's iPhone 6s that has QUALCOMM modem, the lagging is not there in the same areas. Most probably intel needs adjustments since these modems were the first ones with these models. I've read also they are slower than the QUALCOMM's but I didn't test it to bother with my sons.

19. Reinvented

Not sure why you keep thinking it's a driver issue. It's clearly not...

20. bluepoint

No argument needed, I stay with what I think it is, two different hardwares different results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.