What's new

amcfwm - AsusWRT-Merlin Custom Firmware Manager

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for pointing it up. I was not aware self-compiled firmware did not have 100% of the functionality. If I understood correctly the images compiled by RMerlin do have all functionality enabled, correct?

The main reason I am complining my own firmware is to generate some drivers for the UPS to work and to add some more applets to busybox that I used with some custom scripts. I don't need to flash the self-compiled image. I can simply copy the drivers and a new version of busybox to /opt or /jffs and use it there.
My understanding is that @RMerlin [ and I assume @GNUton ] have been provided with a special toolbox from Asus so that they alone can compile firmware to include certain proprietary code. So - yes - their compiled releases are 100% functional PLUS PLUS :D.

You would indeed be best advised to add your customisations to RMerlin's released firmware.
I'm not a coder - but I'm sure there are plenty of members who could help if you run into difficulties.

Just a heads up to all self-compilers - this script works a treat under Ubuntu 20.04 and produces latest firmware for all RMerlin supported routers [right now 386.3_beta3]. I run mine under a VMware Workstation 16 Player [free] on a Win10 workstation.

NB - No TrendMicro stuff will be included in these builds because Asus / RMerlin have purposely excluded that closed source code to prevent compilers from using those modules in non Asus routers. Rather a pity really - because I'm sure there must be another way to prevent the harm - so that those genuinely self-compiling for use on supported Asus Routers can still do their thing and use Trendmicro if they wish!

Go get it ... and enjoy :D. ... Oh and do support @Adamm by following his GitHub PayPal link [so miss him on these forums :-( ...]
Just donated again myself.

Last edited:
Rather a pity really - because I'm sure there must be another way to prevent the harm
The initial Trend Micro request a few years ago was for Asus to COMPLETELY remove it from the GPL release, which would have meant the end of my project. So be glad that this compromise has worked out...

Take it on all the damned illegal forks who have been repeatedly ignoring requests from myself and others to stop violating licensing agreement by porting Asuswrt to non-Asus devices. They are the real reason for the current situation.

The initial Trend Micro request a few years ago was for Asus to COMPLETELY remove it from the GPL release, which would have meant the end of my project. So be glad that this compromise has worked out...

Take it on all the damned illegal forks who have been repeatedly ignoring requests from myself and others to stop violating licensing agreement by porting Asuswrt to non-Asus devices. They are the real reason for the current situation.
Fully understood - but in my non-coder limited experience ... I truly thought that clever embedded code could determine the authenticity of a router's hardware and decline to install if it was not being applied to a genuine Asus. That authenticating code could be within TrendMicro's closed source package with an added check that if the authenticating code was being bypassed - the TrendMicro features would be disabled.

I truly thought that clever embedded code could determine the authenticity of a router's hardware and decline to install if it was not being applied to a genuine Asus.
Asus already has such measures in place, but they are easy to work around, either by disabling the software part that does the validation, or by mimicking the hardware part that is being validated. I can't go into any details as the portions of it that I do know are confidential - and I only know parts of them.

Asus' openness is what makes it impossible to truly lock down software and hardware together. To achieve what you suggest would require them to go with encrypted and/or signed firmware images, which would also mean the end of any third party firmware support.

I don’t understand what this script is used for like I get that it builds the latest Merlin firmware but can you configure this script to always download the latest Merlin firmware and apply it to the router?

I don’t understand what this script is used for like I get that it builds the latest Merlin firmware but can you configure this script to always download the latest Merlin firmware and apply it to the router?
No. That is not what this script is used for.

Have not succeeded with self compiles using this utility for quite some time - and assume it is because alpha development taking place in separate "tree" - currently https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/tree/45958 whereas this utility looks to "Master" ???

Delighted to confirm that RMerlin has moved all back into Master branch as of yesterday - and compiles with this script and its utilities are working a treat. :D

EDIT: - Proof is in the pudding :cool:

Last edited:
As of now, people building their own firmware images will once again have a fully working firmware, including the Trend Micro engine.

If I want to reduce the size of the compiled image by excluding some of the Asus proprietary modules, what is the best way of doing that?

As of now, people building their own firmware images will once again have a fully working firmware, including the Trend Micro engine.
You should look into making github action templates so we can compile it directly on github.

The scripts work great!!! @RMerlin if I want to make a build without Trend Micro AiProtection and Asus AiCloud, how do I do that?

Last edited:
The scripts work great!!! @RMerlin if I want to make a build without Trend Micro AiProtection and Asus AiCloud, how do I do that?

I have been self compiling with this awesome script created and maintained by @Adamm ever since it hit the forum. While it might be "nice" to have a compile which excluded Trend Micro - it is totally unnecessary because unless you activate Trend Micro and accept the Privacy Policy - it has zero impact on your router.

I don't use Trend Micro add-ons - not because I have particular privacy concerns ... but rather because of the apparent negative impact on performance / bandwidth which the extra exchange of internet traffic / data and its analysis by Trend Micro has on my home system.

I find @Adamm 's other script - "Skynet" along with @thelonelycoder 's "Diversion" to be more than adequate for keeping the lurgies out of my system.

I have been self compiling with this awesome script created and maintained by @Adamm ever since it hit the forum. While it might be "nice" to have a compile which excluded Trend Micro - it is totally unnecessary because unless you activate Trend Micro and accept the Privacy Policy - it has zero impact on your router.

I don't use Trend Micro add-ons - not because I have particular privacy concerns ... but rather because of the apparent negative impact on performance / bandwidth which the extra exchange of internet traffic / data and its analysis by Trend Micro has on my home system.

I find @Adamm 's other script - "Skynet" along with @thelonelycoder 's "Diversion" to be more than adequate for keeping the lurgies out of my system.
@kernol my interest is only in part security. My other interest is that those are closed source components that a lot of users don't want to use. Removing them could reduce overhead on the build and improve router performance.