What's new

An upgradable Router/NAS/PC all in one? Yes.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Hmmm. Often all-in-one devices don't work well, and this thing is low powered, so the actual "PC" part not be doable, along with routing and NAS-ing. But the article used "or" (as in router or NAS) multiple times, making me think you have to decide which of those two function you want it to do, but that would be strange (maybe just the way the writer prefers to word things).

Interesting, though.

The Intel N100 is a quad-core, quad-thread processor wielding E-cores with a maximum turbo frequency of 3.4 GHz.

The quote from the article linked above indicates it should be 70% faster than the fastest Asus models today. Add the fact you can put in 8, 16, and 32GB of RAM, and install to an NVMe SSD, it will be more like twice as fast as any Asus model today. The ability to add 2x 2.5"/3.5" SSDs/HDDs is just icing on the cake, along with those 2x 2.5GbE ports.

At the introductory $269 barebones price, it slays what's on the market right now. Particularly in light of what pfSense is doing today.

If I wanted something like this I would have DIY it already years ago. The only new thing I see is a low price for no-name device.

And when it breaks, you're out of PC, storage *and* network. I'll pass.

Indeed. Separate devices is the best approach.

Yes, because this was available yesterday for a 6W power budget at less than $270. :rolleyes:

Depending on the firmware/OS, this is what I've been asking for, for the last decade.

Fun - I'll play...

Refurbished MacMini 2018 version...

4 thunderbolt 3 ports, so one can make choices based on what connections one needs...

Yes, and for FW support, it uses PF, same as pfSense and OpnSense - and they are very capable routers and NAS's..

Nice try, but refurbished isn't a 2018 obtainable. Neither are the Thunderbolt adaptors free.

The 2017 Intel hardware is infinitely crippled by the Apple BIOS, for the large majority of potential users.

Not to mention the 65W TDP vs. 6W today.

The 2017 Intel hardware is infinitely crippled by the Apple BIOS, for the large majority of potential users.

Apple does UEFI, not BIOS, so what's the issue here?

The 2018 mini's are quite capable.

Just because you don't do MacOS or BSD, that really isn't an issue is it?

I had a modified used HP 8300 USDT with 2x NICs and space for 2x 2.5” HDDs like 5-6 years ago, it was running at about 25W total with pfSense. The total project cost was under $270 + fun to DIY. It was about the same performance i5 CPU with 8GB RAM.

I had a modified used HP 8300 USDT with 2x NICs and space for 2x 2.5” HDDs like 5-6 years ago, it was running at about 25W total with pfSense. The total project cost was under $270 + fun to DIY. It was about the same performance i5 CPU with 8GB RAM.

MacMini makes it easy, that being said, there's a lot of sub 1-litre boxes...

If you want something you can get it before someone makes it for you. This is my point. Many options available.

UEFI/BIOS, my intent is the same.

There is a reason why I don't do MacOS/BSD, it doesn't support the programs I need to run.

The device in question is just a mini-PC in different form. Comes with Win11 as option. Not an AIO router. The built-in Wi-Fi is a client, not an AP. Many similar devices with the same N-series based hardware are available on Alibaba for months, some under $200. Smaller size as well.

As usual, you missed every. single. point.

Depending on the firmware/OS, this is what I've been asking for, for the last decade.

Time will tell if it is anything worthwhile looking at.

Just wanted to circle back - if the HW quality is there, there's potential for a lot of good things...

One could set up proxmox and run VM's for routing, etc...

Anyways, thanks for sharing.

i am reviving my NUC project for pfSense to have an instant backup containing 2.7CE just in case. The Lenovo M910Q that has been collecting dust in my office has a 512GB NVMe, an i350T4 card and 32GB of RAM together with an Intel i3 8300T CPU. Over the weekend i'll drop CE on it (currently has plus) and attempt to import my plus configuration to have a one on one plug and play replacement. If that all works out, i will give it a go which just means plug the WAN and LAN from the main router to the backup and see what happens.

Last edited:
i am reviving my NUC project for pfSense to have an instant backup containing 2.7CE just in case. The Lenovo M910Q that has been collecting dust in my office has a 512GB NVMe, an i350T4 card and 32GB of RAM together with an Intel i3 8300T CPU. Over the weekend i'll drop CE on it (currently has plus) and attempt to import my plus configuration to have a one on one plug and play replacement. If that all works out, i will give it a go which just means plug the WAN and LAN from the main router to the backup and see what happens.
Look at my thread on power management for the 8300T. You will want to use it. It is using Pfsense with an L3 switch. It is a FreeBSD 14 feature not a Pfsense thing so it should work in the 2.7CE version.