What's new

Another N66u question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

backhoeken

Occasional Visitor
For the last year never had any issue with my stock N66u. Just for grins updated to the latest and now have tons of lockup which require disconnecting from wireless and reconnecting

Is there any way to restore the old firmware
Thank you

Last edited:
You can upgrade or downgrade using the same method. Make sure you reset to factory default after upgrading or downgrading.
As a matter of fact, if you didn't reset after upgrading do that and re enter your settings by hand before downgrading.

Last edited:
I found Asuswrt versions for the RT-N66U going back to Sept. 2013 at http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/. I am currently running the 3.0.0.4.376.3602 version and it seems quite stable. On the other hand, Merlin's mods are a good way to go if you are so inclined, but I would search on any given version (Asus or Merlin) for a consensus of comments on this forum before jumping. It is not uncommon for new releases to have issues, so look before you leap.

That said, Pierino's suggestion of resetting to defaults is a good one...oftentimes, things that you may not even remember you did in configuring your old firmware may bite you on the rear when you upgrade. So try that before you change to a different version, now. Even though restoring your settings is a PITA, it is a good rule to always clear the nvram before and after the upgrade (and don't get lazy and use a previously stored config file after the upgrade...it may mess you up as well).

Last edited:
Stock firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3602 is not the latest and is known to have 5 GHz connection issues (probably only outsite US and TW).
The latest firmware for the RT-N66U is 3.0.0.4.376.3657, this fixed the 5 GHz issues.
Download it here:
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/
After upgrade to 3.0.0.4.376.3657 a hard reset and manual re-configure of the router is mandatory (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).

EDIT: allways mention the exact firmware version, instead of "the latest".
The router firmware version check utility is NOT accurate and often offers an older version. Allways go to the above mentioned support site to check what the latest version is, and read the release notes icluding installation notes.

Last edited:
Delete known network from your pc, and make new wireless connection. This fixed my WLAN problems after upgrading to latest (3.0.0.4.376.3657) fw.

I kept a list of older firmwares for my N66U when I tried some upgrades and ran into issues.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzaDKiWiMQoHQWk2ekpDRVdVZzA&authuser=0

I personally am on .26b and love it. It's been stable since I installed it almost a year ago.

EDIT: If you're using ver 2 of the N66U, then this old FW won't work for you and will need something newer. Any SDK5 version worked better for me than others.

Last edited:
I kept a list of older firmwares for my N66U when I tried some upgrades and ran into issues.

I personally am on .26b and love it. It's been stable since I installed it almost a year ago.

EDIT: If you're using ver 2 of the N66U, then this old FW won't work for you and will need something newer. Any SDK5 version worked better for me than others.
Anyone is free to use firmware of their choice, old firmware like the famous .270 is known for functional stability, but also known to lack many security fixes that are included in newer firmware. Everyone must be aware that using a router with known security issues implies a risk for the network and devices behind it.
It is like leaving the frontdoor on a cheap simple lock: it makes it easy for criminals to enter, they may leave your house alone, or not.

i just looked through most of your post history and its definitely saved me the hassle of finding out which firmware doesn't have wifi issues. thanks

i just looked through most of your post history and its definitely saved me the hassle of finding out which firmware doesn't have wifi issues. thanks

Be advised those older firmwares have many security issues and should at this point be avoided.