What's new

Anyone noticed AX86U major redesign?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think this info is false as Merlin will know it first and will not support the newer AX86U as it does not use Broadcom anymore.
Why Merlin won’t support the newer AX86U? It’s still the same system, same CPU, just some chip changes.

Whether this is a cost saving measure or chip shortage issue, I don’t know. The Broadcom BCM54991 chip does appear better though, supporting 100/1G/2.5G/5G.

Asus switched to a Realtek RTL8226 switch for the 2.5G component. Support was added by Asus with 386_40718.

Since my first RT-AX86U firmware was 386.1 based on 41700, all my firmware versions for that model are compatible.

I have been directed here from another forum. Many users reported new issues associated with new chip in that forum.

However, I just want to add my router is produced in 2021, but somehow uses old Broadcom chip...

nvram get ext_phy_model
nvram get HwVer
nvram get DCode

Last edited:
I have been directed here from another forum. Many users reported new issues associated with new chip in that forum.
What forum? What issues? According to this thread there are no issues provided you're using the currently available firmwares from Asus or Merlin.

What forum? What issues? According to this thread there are no issues provided you're using the currently available firmwares from Asus or Merlin.
A Chinese forum. I think it can't be discussed here for GPL violation.

Nevertheless, the issues reported many times there are:

1. For Merlin 386.1, it's very common for the new model to crash. When restarting the router, it's stucked when the WPS light is turned on. I heard the problem doesn't appear if using 386.2.
2. For older firmwares, Wifi channel is 0, can't restart. If power off then on, it asks to change password. The newer firmware solved the problem.

I don't have the Realtek chip, I can't confirm the issues.

Last edited:
What's the problem in this case? This is what firmware updates are for.
Sorry for any misunderstanding. I meant many people reported problems in the last 3 months. Those issues are likely resolved with the newest firmware.