What's new

Asus 88U - Latest Stable Release Reatart Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah figure when I get home I’ll try the newest beta. Hopefully can keep GUI up long enough to do it. Then “factory reset” then reset up a setting at a time.

Skip flashing from GUI it’ll probably give you more problems. Use Asus Recovery Tool or CFE/miniWeb method, or if you’re comfortable, TFTP.

I’m probably best off not breaking stuff with TFTP. Trying to flash now though so we’ll see what happens ‍♂️

Given all the problems you're having I suggest that you avoid trying to load any previously saved settings files.

If your router stays up long enough you can try loading the new firmware through the GUI as normal. After that log back in and perform a Factory default > Initialize reset.

If the router won't stay up long enough to flash the firmware you'll have to put the router into recovery mode and flash the firmware file from the CFE (followed by a reboot/factory reset).

Just performed these steps. Going to connect to ISP and do a very basic setup and give it a few hours...

The only thing I can think of is as John suggested, that you re-flash the firmware in recovery mode.

Turn the router off.
Press and hols the reset button.
Turn the router back on whilst keeping the button pressed.
After a short while the power LED will start blinking slowly.
Release the reset button.
The router is now in recovery mode and you should be able to get to the CFE miniWeb server at http://192.168.1.1
Load the firmware from there.

The only thing I can think of is as John suggested, that you re-flash the firmware in recovery mode.

Turn the router off.
Press and hols the reset button.
Turn the router back on whilst keeping the button pressed.
After a short while the power LED will start blinking slowly.
Release the reset button.
The router is now in recovery mode and you should be able to get to the CFE MiniWeb server at http://192.168.1.1
Load the firmware from there.
I did this using ASUS software. It did complete successfully. I believe it's basically same as going to address to do it. See above, exactly what I did is there.

Not sure what else to do. Don't have time to not have WWW lol :-(

I did this using ASUS software. It did complete successfully. I believe it's basically same as going to address to do it. See above, exactly what I did is there.
OK.

I suggest you go back to the previous firmware version that worked and maybe try the update again in a few releases time.

Might be a bad time to ask but I SHOULD be using 88u firmware, correct? It definitely has 8 ports on back but sticker on bottom says 3100? Amazon I bought it from lists it as both 88U and 3100??

86e613124f5be5d1ac108d3ac75273ac.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a bad time to ask but I SHOULD be using 88u firmware, correct? It definitely has 8 ports on back but sticker on bottom says 3100? Amazon I bought it from lists it as both 88U and 3100??
If it's got 8 ports then it's an 88U. This confusion has come up before with this model. I think it's because it's an "AC3100-class" router and there happens to be another router called the RT-AC3100 (with 4 ports).

If it's got 8 ports then it's an 88U. This confusion has come up before with this model. I think it's because it's an "AC3100-class" router and there happens to be another router called the RT-AC3100 (with 4 ports).

Crap was hoping that’s what problem was. Gonna try to roll back to Asus firmware later tonight or tomorrow evening. So tired of messing with it ‍♂️[emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!