What's new

ASUS ac68 lan ports not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueFightingCat

Occasional Visitor
I've loaded the Merlin onto my Asus ac86 router. The wifi is working great but for some reason I can't get the ethernet ports to work.

I've connected my laptop via cable directly to one of the ports and that works fine.

I've then connected an unmanaged switch to another port on the router.
All wired devices in the house are then connected to the switch. None of the devices connected to the switch have access to the internet.

Any idea what might be causing this or how I could go about diagnosing the issue?

I never checked to see whether the lan ports were working properly before I loaded Merlin on the router.

The RT-AC86U is not supported.

Do devices connected to the switch work if connected directly? Have you tried rebooting the switch and/or a different switch?

No. Devices connected to the switch directly don't work. Only devices connected directly to the router work. I don't think the switch is the issue because when I put my old router back everything works as normal.

Devices that are connected to the switch, if you plug directly to router do they work?

If they do, (use a known working device on each port), this means that the router is working as expected. I would recommend rebooting the devices and the switch when they are connected to the new router.

Also replace the cable between the switch and the router. If the previous router only had 100 Mbps Ethernet ports, you might have been using an older Cat5 cable that does not support the new router's Gigabit ports. Make sure it's Cat 5e or higher.

RMerlin , will you support this in the future?
Thanks

I haven't taken any decision yet, but chances of it being supported are currently low.

Ok, they were on sale 26% of , I will pass because I want to use yours firmware. Thanks

Just wanted to report back about the issue. In the end I identified the issue to the switch. It was not working properly. I replaced it and now everything is working nicely.