What's new

Asus AC88U Client VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrGundam

Occasional Visitor
I purchased a Asus AC88U and so far very impressed with its features.

I currently live in Thailand and as such many of the Western IP streaming services such as BBC iPlayer and Netflicks are blocked to me.

I understand that I could setup this router to work through a VPN and for example act as though I was in the UK and access iPlayer. This would then allow my smart TV, HTPC etc access the service.

What I am unsure about is the practicality of this given that I also game, stream youtube etc. Would I need to manually activate and deactivate the VPN each time I wanted to use latency / bandwidth sensitive services? Otherwise surly when I game on a PC it will be going via the UK?

Is there anyway to selectively apply for certain data?

Thanks

OK so after a little hunting it seems to be 'Selective routing' that I need and I think the ASUS AC88U can do this without firmware flash.

What I am not sure of is that most tutorials seem to show exporting .ovpn files with I assume settings, that my HDTV will not be able to access. Does anyone know if a smart tv can be used with these router based VPNs?

OK so after a little hunting it seems to be 'Selective routing' that I need and I think the ASUS AC88U can do this without firmware flash.

What I am not sure of is that most tutorials seem to show exporting .ovpn files with I assume settings, that my HDTV will not be able to access. Does anyone know if a smart tv can be used with these router based VPNs?
You can do selective routing via scripts, but you still need to put Merlin on there because there is no way of getting those scripts to boot unless you shell into the router via Putty or similar and manually start the scripts each time.
That kind of sucks because if you loose power you have to restart your scripts each time.
I totally suggest you flash your router and use selective routing with Merlin, its way easier and you don't have to scratch your head for weeks to get scripts to work. As long as you can assign an IP address to your smart tv, yes you can have it go via the VPN.
check out this article on setting up a VPN you will be up and running and enjoying the VPN service with your 88U and it covers selective routing with many examples.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...ia-and-other-vpn-providers-10-15-fixed.30851/

Those .ovpn files are the settings to be used on the router setup, not on your tv.

I am in Indonesia and regularly watch region restricted Dutch television through a Chromecast that is connected to my smart tv.
The Chromecast has an assigned fixed IP address from the router (Menu: LAN>DHCP Server>Enable Manual Assignment) as well as my mobile phone that acts as a remote with Chromecast. The IP addresses of the Chromecast and Phone are added to the OpenVPN client on the router.

As Yorgi mentioned earlier, it would be beneficial to upgrade your firmware first to Merlin's (which offers more VPN setup options and improvements over stock Asus firmware).
Merlin's Website: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/
Your Firmware: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d11y4s1h0yrin/RT-AC88U

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for the clear advice. I have gone with AWT Merlin and really happy so far with the custom firmware. I have not tried the VPN settings or selective routing yet, but once I have finished researching the best choice of VPN for my location in Thailand and accessing UK based services I will give it a go.

Any VPN recommendations?

Thanks again

Great you updated to Merlin's firmware.

Did you do a reset to factory defaults after installing the firmware? As there are many differences compared to the original Asus this would be advisable!

You can reset to factory defaults through the option in the administration menu or by pressing the reset button on the back of the router for 5 seconds (until the power light start blinking).
You will however have to input all your setting again (but prevent possibly strange malfunctions)..

Hi guys, thanks for the clear advice. I have gone with AWT Merlin and really happy so far with the custom firmware. I have not tried the VPN settings or selective routing yet, but once I have finished researching the best choice of VPN for my location in Thailand and accessing UK based services I will give it a go.

Any VPN recommendations?

Thanks again
http://best10vpn.com/top-5-vpns/

Sawat Dee Khrap MrGundam,

I also live in the Land of Smiles, Chiang Mai, and use VPN on two RT-AC88U’s for the purpose you mention. I am happy to share my experiences with you.

My streaming requirement is to connect to the west coast of USA vs east coast to reduce ping time and latency as much as possible from Thailand. Two of the big streaming services (Netfluckus and Hoola Hoops) have declared war on VPN providers and currently block VPN and web proxy services. Many VPN services have not been able to work around the blocks. Some can at times. I’ve tried several services. The one that works best for me is TorGuard. You will have to pay a little extra for a private IP to get around the Netfluckus and Hoola Hoops blocks if those are services you want to use. Make sure they offer this for the region you want to connect to. If you don’t use a streaming service that blocks VPN’s, then you don’t need the private IP. For me, it is worth a few extra bucks each month. I also maintain a USA billing address associated with my credit card and USA phone number through Skype so I can subscribe to USA based streaming services on their websites.

I have TorGuard client installed on all of my other devices and use that when surfing the web on public wifi spots. The iPad setup is a little more involved but it can be done.

I have a Samsung 4k UHD TV that has a USA region setting that allowed me to get USA Channel store content when connected to my router. But I had visitor bring me a Roku 4 from USA. Please note I had to use a step down converter for the Roku as it does not support 220V. It not only gave me many more channel options, but the processor in the Roku greatly improved my streaming experience. So, you may also want to consider a play station 4, Roku, Apple, Chromecast or other streaming device combined with the VPN. I also use USB cooling pads on my Roku and routers because as you know, it can get hot here in Thailand. Also, for best performance use ethernet (CAT 5e, 6 or 7) between the media player or TV and the router.

You can search the web and find many complaining about OpenVPN performance. I have seen this for myself. When it comes to VPN performance, distance is not your friend. I have done a lot of testing and found that the level of encryption will also impact performance. OpenVPN is single processor threaded so it cannot take advantage of dual core processors. Since my primary purpose is streaming media, I don’t use any encryption in order to get the best streaming performance. If I connect to the TorGuard server in Bangkok, I get near native line speed. The further away the server, the download speed starts to drop. I have also noticed that VPN performance can vary at different days of the week or times of the day. I think it all depends on where you are trying to connect to and what is going with your local ISP. For the most part, I get very good to excellent streaming most of the time. The few times I have had issues, I find a power cycle of the modem and router usually will do the trick. I use Merlin Build 380.62 since it came out. It has been working great for my OpenVPN requirements. I highly recommend that version as a result. I primarily use the OpenVPN Client 1. I have a NAS on the USB 3.0 port and a printer on the USB 2.0 port.

I currently have 3BB fiber with 100Mbps down/10Mbps up when not using VPN. I often get more than that when I have tested. 3BB provided a Fiberhome GPON modem/router. The firmware if very limited. And that is saying it nicely! What you want to do is place the fiberhome device in bridge mode. Basically, you are turning it into a modem. Make sure you change the router IP of one or both devices to avoid any conflict. For example, if the fiberhome is 192.168.1.1, change it to 192.168.0.1, or change the IP of the AC88U from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. Take screen prints of the settings, etc before you start changing things. Turn off DHCP (see note below), the radio and other services not required. Note the PPOE userid and password as you will need this when configuring your AC88U. Your provider should have given you a piece of paper with the userid and password.

NOTE: When you turn of DHCP server on the fiberhome modem/router, you will need to manually configure your IPv4 ethernet adapter to be an ip address of 192.168.1.x (x=5 for example) with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 in order to access the web gui.

I used yorgi’s awesome VPN client set up guide to tweek the settings from the TorGuard instructions. I also included the following in the Additional Config section to further tune my settings.

persist-key
persist-tun
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"
tun-mtu 1500
mssfix 1450
nobind
mtu-disc yes
pull
fast-io
auth-nocache

I have two AC88U connected to the Fiberhome modem. Router A is set “All” for Redirect Internet Traffic and router B is set to “Policy Rules”. I primarily use Router A as I want all of my devices to connect to USA. Another family member lives next door. I set up Router B for their use. All of their devices use the native WAN. But their Roku player goes through their VPN connection. Both routers use the same 3BB userid and password. This allows me to change VPN servers if I need to without impacting them. The only reason I need to change it is that Fox Network is not offered in all markets on SlingTV. So for that must see football game, I am all set!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited:
Please remember that all collections of services (VPN or something else) on one website can be sponsored by the service providers, so take some time to read customer reviews (that can be biassed as well) also.
Hmm the guy asked for some VPN services. I just pointed him to 10 of the most popular VPN services
Whats the problem with that? After checking those services its up to an individual to make his own searches and see seek more info and reviews of these services. I don't relate to your reply.

Hmm the guy asked for some VPN services. I just pointed him to 10 of the most popular VPN services
Whats the problem with that? After checking those services its up to an individual to make his own searches and see seek more info and reviews of these services. I don't relate to your reply.
No problem with that and No devaluation of your advice meant, just wanted to make the OP aware. :)