What's new

ASUS GT-AC2900 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.xxxxx

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darkje

Is it me or did Asus just skip the gt2900. The ac86u has had a update one month ago. But the gt is a full year past. Or is it just me....

Is it me or did Asus just skip the gt2900. The ac86u has had a update one month ago. But the gt is a full year past. Or is it just me....

It's not just you... it's everyone who buys so-called special gaming routers with marketing bling... they are typically over-priced, under-supported, and unnecessary product deviations designed to secure profit. You'll enjoy the same basic router functions with more likely Support and at less expense by sticking to the mainstream product offering... current standards and technology in a residential AIO wireless router.

OE

So let's make it a ac86u then :p

In this instance, good point!... the GT-AC2900 does not seem to have the power circuit burn-out failure of the early RT-AC86U.

Anyways I do like the 160mhz support ..

The GT-AC2900/WiFi5 product supports 160MHz bandwidth?... sounds like a gamble to pay up for that and hope it can operate at 160MHz in any particular environment. Wouldn't a real gamer prefer to wire it?

OE

Well iam not a gamer type. I just like the rog interface. Besides i only got it for the 160mhz support. It operates Infront of the 86u. I opened them up both. And except the RGB the units are pretty much the same. So yeah money not we'll spend.

I now have it as a mesh node. And the 86u in the closet for any moment. The main router now is the ax86 and it seems to do a awesome job for now. Later on iam planning to get a new main router and add the current one as node.

Well iam not a gamer type. I just like the rog interface. Besides i only got it for the 160mhz support. It operates Infront of the 86u. I opened them up both. And except the RGB the units are pretty much the same. So yeah money not we'll spend.

I now have it as a mesh node. And the 86u in the closet for any moment. The main router now is the ax86 and it seems to do a awesome job for now. Later on iam planning to get a new main router and add the current one as node.

Sounds like you put the supported router in the closet for a webUI you are not using and a 160MHz backhaul that will always be marginal by DFS-design... if that backhaul is not 99.9999% reliable, the best upgrade you can make for your network is to wire the backhaul.

OE

Sounds like you put the supported router in the closet for a webUI you are not using and a 160MHz backhaul that will always be marginal by DFS-design... if that backhaul is not 99.9999% reliable, the best upgrade you can make for your network is to wire the backhaul.

OE

I have a wired backhaul. It's only for close clients to maximize data transport.

I have a wired backhaul. It's only for close clients to maximize data transport.

If it's working, wear it out.

OE

It is but i don't get the aimesh stuff. About mixing ac and ax clients. My ac unit is downstairs as main and the gt is node upstairs. But it's somehow not stable...

It is but i don't get the aimesh stuff. About mixing ac and ax clients. My ac unit is downstairs as main and the gt is node upstairs. But it's somehow not stable...

My previous network was an AX86U router and AC86U node with a 5.0 AC wireless backhaul, and then a wired backhaul (MoCA2.5). Worked fine. Wireless client/node connections will use the lowest common denominator permitted between client/node and AP.

I would be most concerned about mixing wired and wireless backhauls, and dual-band and tri-band (and using 5.0 160MHz bandwith if it's the least bit unreliable). These are structural considerations you can manage by designing the network before you purchase mixed up components.

OE

Most devices have a ac connection. I have a few devices that handle ax. And with my fiber connection at 1gb i do manage to get that wireless.

Upstairs i don't care that much. But i do care about seamless roaming and somehow when I set the unit to app mode. It's not flawless. When i use aimesh it is seamless.

Most devices have a ac connection. I have a few devices that handle ax. And with my fiber connection at 1gb i do manage to get that wireless.

Upstairs i don't care that much. But i do care about seamless roaming and somehow when I set the unit to app mode. It's not flawless. When i use aimesh it is seamless.

Roaming has always been better here using AiMesh, and better still with a wired backhaul... generally seamless, and I find that using no Smart Connect, no Roaming Assistant, and the same SSID for both bands works fine for my clients, AP layout, and WiFi environment. I did have to use different SSIDs on my daughter's network to force a difficult LG TV adapter to stay connected to the 5.0 band for better throughput... I blame the adapter in her TV (that LG's user interface is a bit of a mess, too, imo... I much prefer the Google TV UI on my Sony except not the Google big data part).

OE

Last edited:
Anyways I do like the 160mhz support

What do you use it for? There was one single internal card supporting it and few Chinese phones/tablets.

BCM4366E supports 160MHz, but it was cut off RT-AC86U model for marketing reasons. Someone had to have a reason to buy GT-AC2900 different than RGB lights. It had VPN Fusion like other ROG models as additional plus. This model didn't go well and was often sold cheaper than RT-AC86U.

What do you use it for? There was one single internal card supporting it and few Chinese phones/tablets.

BCM4366E supports 160MHz, but it was cut off RT-AC86U model for marketing reasons. Someone had to have a reason to buy GT-AC2900 different than RGB lights. It had VPN Fusion like other ROG models as additional plus. This model didn't go well and was often sold cheaper than RT-AC86U.

I have a few Intel devices that sync on 1700Mb on it. So it gives a bit more power. On the ac86u it gives me 866. I know the ac86u and gt share the same tech inside.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!