What's new

Asus GT-AC5300: Falsely reports not connected to internet and can't update time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elliott B

New Around Here
Hello.

I’m desperate for some assistance with my Asus GT-AC5300. I’ve spent two days reviewing every post with similar issues on any Asus router, and so far none of the suggestions have worked.

I don’t know how long this has been occurring (since it doesn’t affect actual internet usage), but my router has the following issues:

* Reports that I’m disconnected from Internet although I am not

* Cannot set time (date/time appears to be factory default back to 2018)

Things I’ve tried:

* Changing WAN DNS from automatically setting to using manual Google or Comcast servers

* Changing Network Monitoring from DNS to DNS and Ping or just Ping

* Changing DNS Resolve Hostname and Ping Target

* Changing NTP Server from pool.ntp.org to north-america.pool.ntp.org

* Adjusting DST Time Zone start and stop

I’ve used network tools (Ping and NSLookup) to confirm that the router can resolve these names

Firmware is updated to current 3.0.0.4.384_81695

The router is running in Wireless Router Mode with one AIMesh node on the network.

Anyone have any ideas of anything else to try? The only other thing I can think of is if Xfinity is somehow affecting what gets transmitted/received.

Thanks in advance!

-Elliott

Try unplugging both modem and router and first power up the modem after at least 10 minutes powered off. When the modem is fully powered up and stabilized, then power up the router.

This issue is reported with different Asus routers and it’s time for Asus to look at it. I’ve seen it twice on my router. Modem reboot is the universal cure. When it works.

Well Ill be... the 10 minute restart worked. My past reboots had been about 1 minute and I assumed that was sufficient. I hadn't done it in the order given by L&LD.

Thanks everyone for the speedy assistance!

-Elliott

@Elliott B glad it worked with the minimum time needed. Next time, if 10 minutes doesn't work for some reason, try at least an hour or more. :)

What we're doing is resetting the connection between your modem and your ISP. Some need more, some need less time to realize you're not connected anymore. :)

What we're doing is resetting the connection between your modem and your ISP.

What we're doing is getting different IP from ISP DHCP. The ISP DHCP keeps the same IP for a long time. Rebooting the modem doesn't guarantee different IP. There is a trick though. Flip the modem in router mode, switch back to bridge. It usually gets a new IP after. No need to wait 1h. @L&LD you're reset freak. :)

Some modems are just modems. :)

But of course... I needed to make another change, and when I rebooted the router, the "no connection" problem resurfaced and the router time/date reset to factory default and NTP fails again. I will do the 10-minute restart again.

I would suggest that you update to the latest firmware for GT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.82037.

I updated yesterday and after a second restart found that my Speedtest was showing download speed that was appropriate to the service I am paying for.