What's new

Asus Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StinkyFeetMendoza

New Around Here
I started a thread in general discussion that I think is probably more appropriate here. I cannot figure out how to delete my original thread and I apologize for double posting. I think I am more likely to get help here.

Hello Everyone:
Im a complete newb to the forum and I am completely inept when it comes to setting up networks. My only experience is from trying to trouble shoot my netgear N600 router. I got advanced enough to upgrade my firmware! I really tried to research this on my own but I dont really know where to start so I apologize if I am asking stuff that has already been covered. My netgear worked great when I first got it. I have a large house(4000+ sq ft) and my netgear worked everywhere, even out in the garage and out by the pool. It was strong enough to even work out in my pool house. Overtime the range has slowly been diminishing to the point that it barely works on the second floor of my house. I then started having connectivity issues. The wifi signal would just drop out and thats when I started trying to trouble shoot it. After several hours on the phone with netgear, we determined the router was defective. I decided I would read some reviews and buy the "best" router out there. Everything I read said that the Asus RT-AC66u was the way to go for speed and range. I have spent the better part of the afternoon setting it up, watching all the Asus youtube videos and trying to read on the forum. I have an iMac, a PS3, and a Samsung Verizon Network Booster that are all hardwired in. I also have one PS3 and 4 mobile devices that are using wifi.

My problem is that this router, out of the box, has much worse range than my N600 Netgear. I am sure this is due to me being a newb and not knowing how to setup the Asus RT-AC66u but I was somewhat shocked bc of all the great reviews I read. I am using firmware version 3.0.0.4_355. Please help. I dont even know enough to know where to start looking. If I cant get better performance out of this router I think I am just going to box it up and get another Netgear. When I run my ping test Im getting about 32ms and between 3-4ms jitter. My speed looks good as well with around 30mbps down and about 4mbps up. What is wrong here that Im getting barely any range(maybe 50 ft)? Also It seems like everyone is using second party firmware, is this something that might help my problem? I am open to any and all suggestions and help. Thank you all so much.

-StinkyFeetMendoza

EDIT: The ping and speedtest results I mentioned were from my iMac that was hardwired to the router. When I run a speedtest on my ipad in the far corner of the house on the second floor I get barely 1mbps download and I get 0 up.

jlake: Thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction. I am currently on step 7 of your trouble shooting suggestions and I had a question. Im on a mac, is inSSIDer still the preferred program for a mac? It will cost me $5 from the app store. I will gladly pay for the program if it is what mac people are using.

EDIT: Update- I just pulled out a tape measure. i tied it to my desk and walked around with my Ipad. I am getting about a 30ft range before I am unable to use facetime.

Last edited:
jlake: Thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction. I am currently on step 7 of your trouble shooting suggestions and I had a question. Im on a mac, is inSSIDer still the preferred program for a mac? It will cost me $5 from the app store. I will gladly pay for the program if it is what mac people are using.

EDIT: Update- I just pulled out a tape measure. i tied it to my desk and walked around with my Ipad. I am getting about a 30ft range before I am unable to use facetime.

I'm not sure about alternate inSSIDer program.

Which band gives you 30 feet? 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz?

On your iPad, try resetting the network settings.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

If you search my posts I posted extensive tips & screenshots on the awesome wireless diagnostic app built into 10.7 & 10.8 OSX, within the last 48hrs.

Thanks Private joker, I will definately have to check that out.

I'm not sure about alternate inSSIDer program.

Which band gives you 30 feet? 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz?

On your iPad, try resetting the network settings.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

Im using 2.4 ghz. I also reset the network settings on all my wireless devices.

I just wanted to give anyone following my troubles an update. Basically what I did was go through all of the trouble shooting steps provided by jlake. All of them except for inSSIDer. Im not too worried about inSSIDer as I live out in the country on a 6 acre lot so Im assuming that there is not interference from any other networks. I finally figured I would call the ASUS customer service people. I had read some pretty bad reviews about their tech support so I was preparing myself for that. I was pleasantly surprised as I found their techs to be very friendly and very knowledgeable. I explained to them all of the trouble shooting steps I had gone through and they seemed happy with that. They asked me to reset my router and reboot it after I reconfigured it. At this point it is still not getting any kind of range. My computer that is running on an ethernet cord is getting between 30-40 mbps down(i pay for 30) and between 4-6mbps up. 30-40 feet from the router I am getting between .5-6 mbps down and 0mbps up. The techs felt that the router most likely has defective radios in it(if i understood him correctly) and that I need to return it to Amazon for an exchange. So thats where I stand, just wanted to fill you guys in. I appreciate the help and would love to hear any other suggestions as it will be Monday before I get this thing packed up and shipped back. I plan to check out Private Jokers diagnostic app but other than that I think I'm done trouble shooting unless other suggestions come in. Thanks again, I'll keep y'all posted.

-StinkyFeetMendoza

Hey Guys
So my replacement router came in yesterday. I have gotten it setup up using the factory default settings and the most up to date Asus firmware. This router definitely has better range inside my house, but I am still getting a very poor signal outside my house 30-40 ft from the router. Am I expecting too much out of this router? Is this normal performance? Out by my pool, about 30-40 feet from my router I am pretty much getting the same download rates as before(anywhere from about.5-6 mbps) my upload speeds are dramatically increased with this replacement router though. Before I was getting 0 upload and now I am getting between 4-6 mbps up. When my old N600 Netgear was new it had no problem sending a signal poolside, it even worked inside my pool house(probably 100-150ft away). I don't understand whats going on. Im going to go through jlakes trouble shooting steps and Im going to download private jokers diagnostic app and see if any of this helps:
Am I expecting too much out of my router?
Is this normal performance for an Asus RT-AC66U?
Will third party firmware such as Merlin increase my range?
If I set my router to 40mhz will that increase the range?(I live on a 6.5 acre lot so Im not concerned about interference)
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I really appreciate it.
-StinkyFeetMendoza

Last edited:
Update: Since my last post here I have been walking around the house testing my speed somemore. My Asus is set using default settings except I set it to 40mhz just to see what would happen. I am get 2.5 mbps download speed about 2 feet from the router....

Good news is no download needed for that app, it's built into Lion & Mt Lion. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I've gotten in the habit of surveying where I plan on putting my router, and another couple locations I am typically using wifi, to get an idea of what 2.4ghz channels have the least amount of surrounding traffic.

Then by using that info to set your channel and using 40mhz channels you should be able to get the most speed & range out of 2.4ghz.

Personally I set 5ghz to a high (100+) channel with no other traffic and 40ghz wide, but plan on getting more distance out of the 2.4ghz, most people do. Outdoors I don't think I get any 5ghz signal, but 2.4ghz is solid.

Feel free to PM me if I can help more too. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!