What's new

Asus Merlin Bug? OpenVPN forwards internet traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rchase

New Around Here
I have an OpenVPN server at my office (FreePBX/CentOS 6.5), connected over the internet to my home router, OpenVPN Client, (Asus RT-AC68R with Firmware:376.47 Merlin build)

It works, I can reach the office network from home, I have my Cisco SPA514G IP Phone at home registered to the FreePBX server at the office, and able to make and receive calls out the SIP Trunks to Cisco SPA8800 Voice Gateways which provide 5 FXO lines.

The only thing I don't like is that the internet traffic from the home is being routed out to the office which is not needed.

Is this a known bug? Because I have selected the option on the OpenVPN client settings to not route internet traffic. Whether I change it to "Yes" or "No" the internet traffic is still sent to the office. I verify by using canyouseeme.org to see what my WAN IP is. When the client is off, my IP is the home IP. when VPN client is on, my IP is the office IP.

Its not that big of a deal, I was going to just leave it, but my internet connection at home, since I setup the OpenVPN client/server routing, has been unstable sometimes requiring a reboot of the router which then it is fine again. I would like to stop routing the internet to the office because it could help the internet stability at home.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a work around. Thanks to RMerlin for making this firmware!

Most probably your client is forced by the OpenVPN server to forward the traffic. This is done by "pushing" the default gateway of the office network to your client. So, my advice is to check the logs and the configuration of the server.

Thanks netware5, it was the server config. I removed this line and now it does not send remote internet traffic out the office WAN

redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp