1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus Merlin firmware on ASUS AC86U - ASUS APP

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by DarkKnight75, Apr 18, 2019.

1. DarkKnight75

DarkKnight75 Occasional Visitor

New to the forum, been rocking ASUS routers for 8 years. Just upgraded from an N66U to an AC86U, what a treat :)

Currently no issues running latest ASUS firmware as of 4.18.2019. I'd like to know if ASUS Merlin firmware is compatible with the ASUS App on Android?

Any issues

2. Ro berto

Ro berto Regular Contributor

no issues at all :)

Attached Files:

L&LD likes this.
  3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Senior Member

Same here.

L&LD likes this.
  4. st3v3n

st3v3n Senior Member

DarkKnight, have been using the Merlin fork on every Asus we've owned or worked on, since the year after it started; have never had any problems with it; if you're needing AiMesh, you might want to stick with the official blend. Many are still using their trusty 66's with the Merlin fork by John, plenty of life left in them . Do all of the reading you can, and you'll probably have a great experience; it's worked fine on our 86.

5. DarkKnight75

DarkKnight75 Occasional Visitor

I upgraded to Merlin last night...running rock solid on my ac86u.

6. st3v3n

st3v3n Senior Member

There you go! Most 86s do amazing things with Merlin, it's far, far beyond those that came before. We ran two concurrent OpenVPN tunnels with our AC3200; the 86 doesn't even break a sweat compared to the 3200. Hope you enjoy it, most do.

Dave Parker and Ro berto like this.
  7. jose carlos

jose carlos New Around Here

I have rt-ax88u and the android app does not work with merlin 384.10
    Any idea
    cumpz...

8. st3v3n

st3v3n Senior Member

No clue but the the Asus iOS app was a pain, and presented far too many security holes, we quit playing with it a couple of years ago; haven't used an Android router app for even longer, sorry.

L&LD likes this.
  9. Gar

Gar Senior Member

Been using the Android app on and off for months and just deleted it. Even with remote access off, it was still possible to change some settings like DNS Auto on/off. I personally prefer to have a more secure setup. Just me.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    st3v3n and L&LD like this.