What's new

Asus Merlin Policy Routing Help (GUI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keyxmakerx

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I'm trying to setup policy routing for the first time ever, so that my Linux server will run over the OpenVPN Nord VPN. The Connection is active, and the dedicated IP is active, however, my traffic isn't running over the VPN as it should be. I have the policy as anything from my server (Jade w/ static DHCP IP) runs over the VPN, with my personal router (Google) runs over the WAN connection. But it's all going over the WAN connection.

Is anyone able to assist in resolving this issue, or is this something that has to be done via CLI?

Post your whole list of rules, one of them might be overriding it.

HERE is the link to a picture of the VPN settings page. Sorry for the late reply.
Try posting another image of your custom config section as well

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

The custom config is below. Apologies for not adding it previously.

remote-random
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
explicit-exit-notify 3
remote-cert-tls server
pull
fast-io

The custom config is below. Apologies for not adding it previously.

remote-random
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
explicit-exit-notify 3
remote-cert-tls server
pull
fast-io

Ah no worries, while I don't have NordVPN myself, I was looking at their config page.

https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/edgerouter/openvpn/

I did notice you were missing a few of the custom config's Nord has on their page. However, you stated that VPN work's and that you are using a dedicated IP.

I did catch that for GoogleRouter in your policy routing you have it set to WAN, while Jade is set to VPN.

Taking a guess, but doe's Jade also connect to your Google router? Also, do you have anything else that is routing over your Google Router? Assuming you're using it as a AP.

Also, just covering my basics, but did you manually assign Jade a manual IP on the router, then assign it statically on the client?

Lastly, just for testing, when you change "Redirect Internet Traffic" from "policy rules(strict)" to "ALL" doe's Jade correctly route over the VPN or doe's it still route over the WAN?

Ah no worries, while I don't have NordVPN myself, I was looking at their config page.

https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/edgerouter/openvpn/

I did notice you were missing a few of the custom config's Nord has on their page. However, you stated that VPN work's and that you are using a dedicated IP.

I did catch that for GoogleRouter in your policy routing you have it set to WAN, while Jade is set to VPN.

Taking a guess, but doe's Jade also connect to your Google router? Also, do you have anything else that is routing over your Google Router? Assuming you're using it as a AP.

Also, just covering my basics, but did you manually assign Jade a manual IP on the router, then assign it statically on the client?

Lastly, just for testing, when you change "Redirect Internet Traffic" from "policy rules(strict)" to "ALL" doe's Jade correctly route over the VPN or doe's it still route over the WAN?

I did try the custom config as well, but it didn't help. That is what I did first, but it wouldn't even show the IP if I used it. I'm assuming that the page is old.

The Google router is routed, but Jade is not going through it. I have a secondary NIC on my computer that my virtual server is bridged to and the traffic goes only over it. I did not statically assign the IP, as it seems the IP looks like it hits the router, but I can statically assign the IP.

Would static assigning the MAC in the DHCP pool matter as well? Because it's currently assigned to .100 I think.

Strict rules didn't actually change anything. Either one and it'll just drop connection to outbound and inbound traffic, and I'll loose all access from the WAN either via the WoW IP or the IP provided by NORD.

Thanks again for your help, apologies for the delay!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!