What's new

Asus merlin update issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrongEl

New Around Here
Hi All,

New member & posting for the first time. Sorry if this was asked earlier.

I have been using asus merlin for couple of years now on my Asus RT-AC68U. But after updating to 384.5, I am no longer able to update the router to any newer version.

When I tried updating to 384.6, the router restarted with 384.5 itself & reset all my settings. So I thought that was an incompatibility issue with that particular firmware & didn't investigate further.

Today I saw that there are couple of newer versions available & tried updating to 384.7_2 but still they router is not updating. The upload progress bar goes till 100% & the page refreshes and the firmware still shows 384.5. At least with 384.7_2, my settings are not resetting after the update failure.

Does anybody know what I should do to fix this issue?

I cleared all the logs & tried updating again. But after failure, the logs are still empty (Log only messages more urgent than: debug).

Merlin, having the same issue as OP. I have a TM AC1900 flashed to Asus RT-AC68U merlin firmware from late 2016 (380.63.2). If above is the case, can you please clarify how was I able to upgrade to 384.8.2 last month !? But now experiencing all sorts of drop and slowness issues with nothing in the logs. And now the darn thing will not let me upgrade to 384.9 or roll back to my older firmware (380.63.2). Goes to 100% and then the upgrade message box disappears, reboot does not help. I do not have any USB plugged in either.

I can understand if that Kernel check for AC-1900 was just implemented in 384.9 by Asus but why can I not go back to 2 year old firmware. And if it is the prior 384.8.2 acting up from last month and not supported on AC1900, wtf, the upgrade was allowed in the first place !?

I have tried the Initialize option as well prior to Firmware upgrade/downgrade.

Merlin, having the same issue as OP. I have a TM AC1900 flashed to Asus RT-AC68U merlin firmware from late 2016 (380.63.2). If above is the case, can you please clarify how was I able to upgrade to 384.8.2 last month !? But now experiencing all sorts of drop and slowness issues with nothing in the logs. And now the darn thing will not let me upgrade to 384.9 or roll back to my older firmware (380.63.2). Goes to 100% and then the upgrade message box disappears, reboot does not help. I do not have any USB plugged in either.

I can understand if that Kernel check for AC-1900 was just implemented in 384.9 by Asus but why can I not go back to 2 year old firmware. And if it is the prior 384.8.2 acting up from last month and not supported on AC1900, wtf, the upgrade was allowed in the first place !?

I have tried the Initialize option as well prior to Firmware upgrade/downgrade.

Sorry, I don't expect RMerlin to reply here to you.

The TM AC1900 is not supported as Eric has stated many times. What works and what goes wrong is not in his control for the hardware he doesn't use.

Even for the Asus models, he does support; if something doesn't work, I wouldn't expect a fix from him. This is his free time we're benefitting from here.

The decision to use his firmware (illegally, btw, on non-Asus hardware) was your decision. The consequences are yours too.

Sorry for sounding a bit harsh here; but there is nothing for RMerlin to clarify.

Sorry, I don't expect RMerlin to reply here to you.

The TM AC1900 is not supported as Eric has stated many times. What works and what goes wrong is not in his control for the hardware he doesn't use.

Even for the Asus models, he does support; if something doesn't work, I wouldn't expect a fix from him. This is his free time we're benefitting from here.

The decision to use his firmware (illegally, btw, on non-Asus hardware) was your decision. The consequences are yours too.

Sorry for sounding a bit harsh here; but there is nothing for RMerlin to clarify.

Wow, what happened to answering a proper technical question in a technical way !? I am trying to find out what could have gone wrong, why would an upgrade work with 384.8.2 and not 384.9 or why a rollback would not work since older kernel/flash did not have the vendor/model checks "supposedly" introduced by Asus in the "newer" kernels. And a lot of users on are having the same issue. When I first flashed from AC1900 to RT68U, there was no mention of it not being supported and AC1900/RT68U was touted as the best hardware for Merlin port back then, if I am not mistaken. And there were instructions galore everywhere.

Anyway, the lack of proper response does not inspire confidence for would be enthusiast to continue playing with Merlin and/or spread the word. Already the darn thing is buggy and now this sh*t to deal with. Oh well, thanks but no thanks Merlin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.