What's new

ASUS RP-AC68U WiFi Range Extender - AC 1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
I need to fill some wifi weak spots and have been searching for a Wifi Extender. I have already a Asus RT-AC88U router and thought this might be a nice addition. Has anyone else got one of these and could maybe share their experience?

Also does anyone know if the extendeer can be paired with the router via a wired ethernet rather than Wifi? I can't see it in the product description.

Many thanks

I need to fill some wifi weak spots and have been searching for a Wifi Extender. I have already a Asus RT-AC88U router and thought this might be a nice addition. Has anyone else got one of these and could maybe share their experience?

Also does anyone know if the extendeer can be paired with the router via a wired ethernet rather than Wifi? I can't see it in the product description.

Many thanks

The product page for the RP-AC68U says that it supports Access Point mode which is what you're asking for.

If you're able to run an ethernet cable then you can just use any access point to send a secondary wireless network signal. You wouldn't need to use a device that is being sold as a wireless extender.

The product page for the RP-AC68U says that it supports Access Point mode which is what you're asking for.

If you're able to run an ethernet cable then you can just use any access point to send a secondary wireless network signal. You wouldn't need to use a device that is being sold as a wireless extender.

Thank you. The only reason I had looked at this one was tat it gave me a few more ethernet ports. Also I can run in wireless mode until I can get the ethernet cable run across the house from my router.

Buy Tenda MW6 (The best Wi-Fi System)

1. Install the Firmware Asuswrt-Merlin on the ASUS Router.
2. Disable the Bands 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz in the ASUS Router. (Wireless -> Professional -> Enable Radio: No)
3. Connect the WAN port of the Tenda MW6 to a LAN port in the ASUS Router.
4. Use AP/Bridge mode in Tenda MW6.
5. Install FreshJR Adaptive QoS.
6. OPTIONAL Use AdGuard DNS for Block ads! (WAN -> Internet Connection -> WAN DNS Setting)

Read this:
-
Post about this Setup by @anacondatp
- Tenda MW6 Review

Thank you. I hadn't heard of Mesh systems until you posted that.

Seems very interesting. If I had three mesh nodes, would that mean the data spead back to the router could be slower than wired if the path is bounced around the nodes? Are these systems designed for installations where running ethernet cables is not possible?

I also just saw the Asus Lyra system. I assume that is similar to the Tenda?

Lots of food for thought! Thank you.

Thank you. I hadn't heard of Mesh systems until you posted that.

Seems very interesting. If I had three mesh nodes, would that mean the data spead back to the router could be slower than wired if the path is bounced around the nodes? Are these systems designed for installations where running ethernet cables is not possible?

I also just saw the Asus Lyra system. I assume that is similar to the Tenda?

Lots of food for thought! Thank you.

More food https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...grade-dilemma-router-extender-or-wi-fi-system

OE

Thank you. The only reason I had looked at this one was tat it gave me a few more ethernet ports. Also I can run in wireless mode until I can get the ethernet cable run across the house from my router.
There are many access points with multiple ethernet ports. Most wireless routers can be configured as access points by disabling the DHCP server feature.

You already have a nice, and expensive wireless router so it doesn't make much sense to me to disable its wireless features. If you need to extend your network, do it right and run ethernet to access points.

Any other recommendations for high performance wireless access points tat can be ethernet wired back to my router. Is the ASUS RP-AC68U not a good option? I do like the idea of having a few ethernet ports for local fixed devices like the TV etc. I also like the feature that gives the SSID a single name and devices roam to the strongest signal.

Last edited:
Hi, in my experience the RP-AC68U is works fine as long as you have it updated with the last available firmware. Quite fast also.

Any other recommendations for high performance wireless access points tat can be ethernet wired back to my router. Is the ASUS RP-AC68U not a good option? I do like the idea of having a few ethernet ports for local fixed devices like the TV etc. I also like the feature that gives the SSID a single name and devices roam to the strongest signal.
Even the old RT-N66U makes a great access point if you don't need racecar speeds. We generally configure them with different SSIDs to make troubleshooting easier. It doesn't seem to affect roaming around the house.

I just bought an RP AC68U , will let you know how well it works , or not .
Update . Works really well as a bridge , getting 650 Mbps+ connection rate and great transfer speeds between all clients to computer and NAS connected to bridge . So far it's been working well , wish there were Merlin FW for the RP68U

Last edited:
I just bought an RP AC68U , will let you know how well it works , or not .
Update . Works really well as a bridge , getting 650 Mbps+ connection rate and great transfer speeds between all clients to computer and NAS connected to bridge . So far it's been working well , wish there were Merlin FW for the RP68U
ay new FW that works for the rp 68u?
the last FW WAS NO GOOD WONDERING IF 2019 WILL BRING SOME GOOD NEW fw

Last edited:
Hi, in my experience the RP-AC68U is works fine as long as you have it updated with the last available firmware. Quite fast also.
WHAT VERSION FW are you using now , the last FW from 2018 had problems maintaining a connection so i rolled it back , but speeds are not great and the security not up to date , so if you have good experience would like to know what you're using .
thanks

WHAT VERSION FW are you using now , the last FW from 2018 had problems maintaining a connection so i rolled it back , but speeds are not great and the security not up to date , so if you have good experience would like to know what you're using .
thanks

You are right. I am still using 10513 from 2017 version since 40019 version from 2018 has stability issues. No major problems with 10513 except for some funky behavior of the red led lights (they seem to come and go without apparent reason 1-2 times a day during the first week after a reset cycle). I also wish/hope 2019 will bring a new refresh firmware with up-to-date security.

You are right. I am still using 10513 from 2017 version since 40019 version from 2018 has stability issues. No major problems with 10513 except for some funky behavior of the red led lights (they seem to come and go without apparent reason 1-2 times a day during the first week after a reset cycle). I also wish/hope 2019 will bring a new refresh firmware with up-to-date security.

surprised that the rp 68u has lost support so quickly as it was top of the line for a while , and the 5 lan ports makes it a rare bird as not many bridges have 5 lan ports , it's a great brudge , justwish it kept up with security patches . will be hard to replace

The latest firmware supports this now. Tried it yesterday. It has AP mode and by setting it to that mode and plugging in the uplink to any of the 5 ports, it should do what you require. HTH.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!