What's new

ASUS RT-3100 Connectivity No Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daren G

New Around Here
Hello all. I am a complete newbie to ASUS products. I loved the interface and was looking to get a new router so I decided to switch from my Netgear to this router. I have had issues that I cannot seem to resolve.

Randomly, I get devices that will hang up during INITIAL Wifi connection (2.4 or 5G). Some devices seem to connect to the router but either with "No Internet" or "With issues" or something similar. Some of have just hung on trying to connect for 45 minutes to an hour then finally connected. I have had this for 3 days and it's been like playing whack a mole.

Here is where it gets weird. It appears to be random devices. This happened on all 3 laptops, desktop, one of my thermostats (other connected fine) and my FireTV. The computers all exibited this behavior but resolved after about 45 minutes to an hour (not sure how). I still can't resolve the FireTV, one of my thermostats or even begin to explain the cause of the issue or how I or the router resolved the others that exhibited the same behavior. I was able to connect an android tablet, multiple iPhones, one thermostat with zero issues. All of the wired connections work without a hitch.

What I did.....I made sure that I checked all devices for firmware etc....they are all up to date. I tried the typical, rebooting modem, router etc. connecting one device at a time. Still had the same issues. Tried even using Smart Connect, turning off Firewall, using WPS (button and pin) on some of those devices and none of that worked. All devices that previously connected, even if I disconnect don't seem to have any problems reconnecting.

I know it's related to this device because when I connect my older NETGEAR router, all devices connect without a hitch to wifi. I just can't seem to figure this out and would appreciate any help troubleshooting this before I give up and take it back to the store.

I am on firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3941.

Last edited:
im seeing a lot of reports of such from a lot of user with the latest firmware , suggest you roll back to fw 3314 till this is resolved

pete

Thanks Pete. Well, the good news is that I finally resolved all my device issues by connecting one at a time and rebooting after each partial connection (connected but no internet). So all devices are now up and running but it was painful to get there. I only have to assume it's firmware related but could it be hardware? Just curious because I have no baseline of comparison other than my old NETGEAR has no similar issues if I reconnect that.

Nobody should have to reboot their router 50% of the time to complete connectivity. Ouch!

after each partial connection (connected but no internet).

are you setting parental control or just time based access control

as its far easier to set time based access control for devices you dont want connected to the internet

are you setting parental control or just time based access control

as its far easier to set time based access control for devices you dont want connected to the internet

Not using Parental Controls at all and that wouldn't explain why it only impacts WiFi and never wired.

partial connection

soz dyslexia , read the above as parental control lol

just a quick question are you using the same ssid as your old router ? , as this could be causing connectivity issues due to different actual remembered credentials in the client devices

Not using Parental Controls at all and that wouldn't explain why it only impacts WiFi and never wired.

Ever reset the router to factory default very first time out of box B4 you configured the router? Netgear or any other routers all the basic handling is same. I don't have any problem going back and forth between NG R7800 and Asus RT-AC3100.

soz dyslexia , read the above as parental control lol

just a quick question are you using the same ssid as your old router ? , as this could be causing connectivity issues due to different actual remembered credentials in the client devices

Different names on the router. Also, tried to clear credentials by "Forgetting" all old SSIDs on all machines. That didn't work. I also did that for the Fire TV devices.

Last edited:
Ever reset the router to factory default very first time out of box B4 you configured the router? Netgear or any other routers all the basic handling is same. I don't have any problem going back and forth between NG R7800 and Asus RT-AC3100.

Yes. Tried factory reset. I think I am going to try the older version of the firmware. The first thing I did when I set it up was flash to the new version so I don't have a baseline for the older version.

Update guys. So just flashed back to 3.0.0.4.380.3341 firmware, restarted router and all the devices that were "stuck" all of the sudden connected. For a split second I thought...it's the firmware. That is until I realized that I still had not connected a Fire TV stick. So, thinking everything was resolved, I tried to connect.......same exact symptoms. Tried to connect it, said it was "Connected with Problems".

Dang it. So, I used the same procedure, as before. While trying to connect again, shut off everything, turned it back on and when the router went through it's reset it connected the Fire TV stick. Simply weird. I guess I can rule out the firmware being the issue since the same behavior came back even on the older firmware.

Yes. Tried factory reset. I think I am going to try the older version of the firmware. The first thing I did when I set it up was flash to the new version so I don't have a baseline for the older version.

You need to factory reset after flashing the version you want to use. ;)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

That seemed to be it. I forgot I had a USB standing 5G adapter and had not connected my daughters PS Vita. Sure enough, did a factory reset and those two devices connected immediately and without a hitch on the old firmware. I am convinced it's a firmware issue now. Plus I can keep this router!

Thanks everyone for all the advise! Hopefully we get a firmware fix soon!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!