1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus RT-AC 87U lost both USB ports

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Matt832, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Matt832

Matt832 New Around Here

I have a 4T USB drive connected to the USB 3 port on my router that holds all my media. Today I tried to plug a USB stick into the USB 2 port on the back and something happened and now neither port is active. I've rebooted the router any number of times, Unplugged and reconnected the 4T drive, it works fine on my computer, with no success.

Did the USB section get shorted out? Is there an internal fuse? Open to suggestions.

2. Val D.

Val D. Very Senior Member

USB ports have current overload protection. Don’t just soft reboot the router, but unplug the power supply form the wall, keep router’s power switch in ON position, wait like 30 seconds. Plug the power supply back in, wait for the router to boot, test the USB ports again. If no change, something is wrong with the USB ports power supply circuit.

3. Matt832

Matt832 New Around Here

Thanks, did that, no luck. Guess I'll have to evaluate my next move.