What's new

Asus RT-AC68U 5Ghz Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bjam

New Around Here
Hello SNB Community. My new RT-AC68U makes white noise (sound) when the 5Ghz network is under load (ex. running Speedtest on the 5G device). Is it defective? I've had no luck finding info on this problem. I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thanks for responding. Is coil noise normal for this model? I upgraded from an old Linksys, and it never made a peep.

I've heard other people reporting this from time to time - it's not specific to any one vendor or model...

68P on sale at bestbuy for $160. Pick it up or go for the 3100 at $279?

Please don't carpet bomb multiple threads with the same post. People read it the first time.

Got another one. Same issue, maybe a bit less severe. I will probably look at other models unless there is an easy fix. Is it possible something besides the router is at fault?

@bjam Coil noise is common on the 68U, at least it was on the older units. What H/W Rev is your new unit, btw? Rev B1 is newer with faster CPU and might not have the issue.

I own a Netgear R7000v1 (RT-AC68U's cousin due to similar chipsets) that has the same coil noise--quite loud, in fact, and it has been totally reliable for me. The RT-AC68P has a different chipset that *might* not have coil noise, but it'll probably cost $20 more. If this really bothers you, change models. Do NOT go for an 87U if you wish to avoid frustration--it has problems that IMHO are much worse than coil noise.

I put mine in a cupboard with rear vents, lol. That's the only way I know to fix it. Or perhaps mask the sound with a cooling fan...sorry. If you're annoyed by it too much, the higher routers such as 3200 and 5300 haven't exhibited this issue, but maybe someone else has had it on those, too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's just random with modern electronics. None of my routers emit any coil noise (and I have very sensitive hearing - coil noise is something that does annoy me when I experience it).

I haven't decided if I'm going to spin the wheel again on another replacement or just buy a different model. Thank you all for your responses.

I haven't decided if I'm going to spin the wheel again on another replacement or just buy a different model. Thank you all for your responses.

You do realize that you will have just as good a chance of a different model (or manufacturer) having the same issue too?

If the router works to your expectations otherwise, I would simply try an exchange for now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!