What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galactus

Occasional Visitor
Hi, so I have a RT-AC86U which is currently plugged into coaxial cable in my kitchen on the ground floor directly beneath my room, this is the most efficient place I can have my router as I'm limited by the cable length so not much option to move it around or upstairs. So the wifi signal has to go through a concrete floor before reaching my ps4 pro (6/7m apart). Yet I'm still getting latency and especially upload lag.

I was wondering if upgrading the three antennas on the RT-86U will make a difference or not? and if its worth a try which antennas would you recommend?

Also the ASUS has aimesh which is another solution, I know I could get another rt-ac86u as a node but is it possible in anyway to use a Netgear Nighthawk X4s as a node or vice versa?

Hi, so I have a RT-AC86U which is currently plugged into coaxial cable in my kitchen on the ground floor directly beneath my room, this is the most efficient place I can have my router as I'm limited by the cable length so not much option to move it around or upstairs. So the wifi signal has to go through a concrete floor before reaching my ps4 pro (6/7m apart). Yet I'm still getting latency and especially upload lag.

I was wondering if upgrading the three antennas on the RT-86U will make a difference or not? and if its worth a try which antennas would you recommend?

Also the ASUS has aimesh which is another solution, I know I could get another rt-ac86u as a node but is it possible in anyway to use a Netgear Nighthawk X4s as a node or vice versa?
If you can, check the latency continuously from the router to the PS4 during use and the connected speeds, some graceful positioning can make big difference (other side of the TV, further away, laying flat, standing up) ... If that fails and assuming the PS4 is fine when wired, a 'media bridge' or WiFi backhaul using another router would be ideal.

If all else fails or you don't want another WiFi router ... and I hope no one is listening ... use some ethernet over power line adapters to either connect your PS4 or second router. Depending on the brand the throughput and latency can be quite good. Out of all the options this worked the best for me with my PS3.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

The 86U has an internal 4th antenna for the 5.0 band.

Have you tested ps4 performance closer/wired to the router... maybe the issue is not the concrete floor.

OE

Yh its fine close range to the router I get 170mbps download and 50 upload but I cant keep my set up on the ground floor unfortunately has to stay in my office where I get 70-140 mbps down and 3-7 mbps upload sounds decent but games still jittery and laggy. I will try some more positioning and the Netgear power line (ethernet) I forgot I had thanks for the reminder. I'll test that out as well, later when I get the chance using netspot to find the best signal. Still tho, so no point on getting stronger antennas? I tend to use the 2.4ghz as it has better range and steadier internet.

Yh its fine close range to the router I get 170mbps download and 50 upload but I cant keep my set up on the ground floor unfortunately has to stay in my office where I get 70-140 mbps down and 3-7 mbps upload sounds decent but games still jittery and laggy. I will try some more positioning and the Netgear power line (ethernet) I forgot I had thanks for the reminder. I'll test that out as well, later when I get the chance using netspot to find the best signal. Still tho, so no point on getting stronger antennas? I tend to use the 2.4ghz as it has better range and steadier internet.

I would not change the three external antennae as you will effectively undo the optimizations that Asus has made for the 4th internal antennae leading to overall worse performance.

Have you tried using the lower control channels for the 5GHz band? They have proven to be usually better than the higher channels in my use for many customers.

I wouldn't bother about using any app to fine-tune your network. There are just a few limited control channels to use and it is far easier and faster to simply test them over a few hours or a couple of days than it is to use an app that most likely shows the unimportant information about the wireless environment and in my experience, usually results in choosing the wrong channel(s).

Don't quote me but generally it can help with line of sight range though at the current power output it's probably not going to help with penetration. Also remember there's a dead spot in an antenna at the tip, so don't point the antenna toward the device, angle it so the flat side is facing where you need the signal.

With all that said, going by the speeds you've said you get, it's probably the router not hearing the PS4. High gain antennas may help. I've got no suggestion on what type but just don't buy the cheapest ;) ... You could even try a directional antenna.

2.4Ghz will penetrate obstacles much better than 5Ghz due to its longer waveform, so you are spot on there.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!