What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That not the issue I am talking about. There are many people here that just pressing the reboot button we loose internet and WiFi. The only way to fix is to power cycle.

I can't replicate that either. I always power the router off, let it sit 60 seconds or so, then turn it back on. It takes 60-90 seconds for everything to dump out of RAM on the router before everything loads back fresh on boot up. Doing it any sooner risks having old data mixing with new on boot up and that does cause problems.

I can't replicate that either. I always power the router off, let it sit 60 seconds or so, then turn it back on. It takes 60-90 seconds for everything to dump out of RAM on the router before everything loads back fresh on boot up. Doing it any sooner risks having old data mixing with new on boot up and that does cause problems.

I can let it sit for 20 mins and it will never come back up. I do want to note that I have adaptive Qos. I think it might be this since the only time it has rebooted no issues is with this off. I know I can test it just have not had time.

Alrighty folks, I have managed to keep my AC87R stable on 376.2061 for 2 days 3 hours and 30 minutes even as of this writing. Yes, the vlan2 dead loop error message is bombarding my system log like nobody's business. This is regardless of whether app analysis and/or iQoS are on or off, it makes no difference apparently. So I have activated both app analysis and iQoS. The router has been running in this configuration since the last reboot (I have never had the reboot issue). I have enable all beamforming options while trimming the beacon interval to 80mSec.

Performance is excellent. The 5 GHz band is noticeably faster and now has better range as well. Our Linksys and Western Digital media bridges are connecting at ~785Mbps minimum. The Buffalo Airstation AC media bridge will establish a connection at ~351Mbps but it is in my daughter's room, our household location with the poorest WiFi reception, as far away as you can get from the router while still remaining in my house. Her iPhone is also seeing better connection speeds in her room and it now streams HD video with ease anywhere in the house, or even in the backyard for that matter.

Last edited:
Alrighty folks, I have managed to keep my AC87R stable on 376.2061 for 2 days 3 hours and 30 minutes even as of this writing. Yes, the vlan2 dead loop error message is bombarding my system log like nobody's business. This is regardless of whether app analysis and/or iQoS are on or off, it makes no difference apparently. So I have activated both app analysis and iQoS.

As a temporary fix, try running this over telnet:

Code:
tc qdisc add dev vlan2 root pfifo

It won't survive reboots (or probably not networking restarts either) however.

As a temporary fix, try running this over telnet:

Code:
tc qdisc add dev vlan2 root pfifo

It won't survive reboots (or probably not networking restarts either) however.
I get an error message stating qdisk is unknown.

Update: I am idiot. I misspelled qdisc as qdisk. Doh!

Last edited:
What happened to all the 5GHz options under "professional?" It's skimmed down. NO Preamble type settings and a bunch of others missinmg as well from previous firmware(s).

2.4GHz retained all previous settings options though but not 5GHz.

Anyone know WHY?

What happened to all the 5GHz options under "professional?" It's skimmed down. NO Preamble type settings and a bunch of others missinmg as well from previous firmware(s).

2.4GHz retained all previous settings options though but not 5GHz.

Anyone know WHY?

Simply because different manufacturers will expose different settings. The 5 GHz radio is provided by Quantenna, they simply don't provide the exact same configurable parameters that Broadcom does.

I've never been able to reproduce this problem here (and I do plenty of reboots), so it must be specific to a particular configuration. A serial cable would probably be needed to determine at which stage of the shutdown it gets stuck, otherwise that won't be easy to track down.

I know it has a problem when I am on my iphone 5 with rebooting. Direct connect and it reboots fine. haven't tried from laptop connected wirelessly to see if same thing happens. With the iphone it reboots and you get a red light on internet status. A manual reboot fixes.

Simply because different manufacturers will expose different settings. The 5 GHz radio is provided by Quantenna, they simply don't provide the exact same configurable parameters that Broadcom does.

Thanks for the confirmation. I updated from .2044 to .2061 and did a "factory reset" afterwards and re-did all of the router settings from scratch.

Is this good enough or should I have done a WPS-button reset as well?

Thanks for the confirmation. I updated from .2044 to .2061 and did a "factory reset" afterwards and re-did all of the router settings from scratch.

Is this good enough or should I have done a WPS-button reset as well?

No, that's perfect Is it working ok for you?

Well I see Asus removed all previous firmwares for the 87R, before the latest .2061. But yet they still have the older firmware's source code posted, but not the source code to the newest firmware? It really doesn't matter to me, but to someone like Merlin I am sure it does. I just thought I would point this out, as this might be an error needing to be fixed.

Anyone still seeing issues with uPNP. Have two of them and using the latest firmware .2061 uPNP just does not work with or without NAT acceleration.

Merlin's build however, uPNP works fine.

Anyone still seeing issues with uPNP. Have two of them and using the latest firmware .2061 uPNP just does not work with or without NAT acceleration.

Merlin's build however, uPNP works fine.

UPnP is an issue, and I hope Asus is working on it. As me, and a couple other's have reported it not working correctly. As I was able to get it working after fresh install, but within a 24 hours. It would no longer open ports requested correctly.

Updated to 3.0.0.4.376_2060 last weekend. I understand it's the sam as 2061 (as it doesn't detect an updated firmware when I have it automatically check).

All seems well and good on the 2.4 band, but 5.0 acts weird randomly. It doesn't disconnect, traffic just doesn't go anywhere for about a minute and then it recovers. When this happens, if I switch to 2.4 everything works fine. Didn't have this issue with .244. I don't really see anything that stands out in the logs, just the typical Dead Loop message.

Anyone know if this is an issue that Asus knows about?

On 5GHz, my link speed is stuck at 54 Mbps on my late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with Broadcom BCM43xx 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac adapter. I can't get the 5GHz link to connect any faster, though 2.4 GHz reaches 217 Mbps.

This is true of the stock firmware, and the latest 3.0.0.4.376_2061. I tried the devices at 5 feet apart, and then 20 ft. I toggled every relevant option in the router settings. For kicks, I tried resetting my MBP's SMC and PRAM, and even blew away my SystemConfiguration. I mention all this only because I didn't see any other posts about poor 5GHZ link speeds with this router and Macbook Pros explicitly.

It's not my machine, as I confirmed it can still reach my previous router (Asus RT-AC68U) at 1GHz. I was just hoping this newer router could help me extend my range and speed a bit, especially when connecting to my link aggregated NAS or Windows box.

Hoping it was just a bad unit, I exchanged the AC87R at Best Buy. Despite getting a new unit with a different production batch code, the same poor 54 Mbps connection persists. I wish I could wait and see if future updates help, but don't want to gamble with ~$300 bucks. This device is going back to the store. If someone chimes in later with a fix confirmation, I might be tempted to try again.

P.S. Gary Key, I know of you from Anandtech, and offer you my kindest regards.

On 5GHz, my link speed is stuck at 54 Mbps on my late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with Broadcom BCM43xx 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac adapter. I can't get the 5GHz link to connect any faster, though 2.4 GHz reaches 217 Mbps.

This is true of the stock firmware, and the latest 3.0.0.4.376_2061. I tried the devices at 5 feet apart, and then 20 ft. I toggled every relevant option in the router settings. For kicks, I tried resetting my MBP's SMC and PRAM, and even blew away my SystemConfiguration. I mention all this only because I didn't see any other posts about poor 5GHZ link speeds with this router and Macbook Pros explicitly.

It's not my machine, as I confirmed it can still reach my previous router (Asus RT-AC68U) at 1GHz. I was just hoping this newer router could help me extend my range and speed a bit, especially when connecting to my link aggregated NAS or Windows box.

Hoping it was just a bad unit, I exchanged the AC87R at Best Buy. Despite getting a new unit with a different production batch code, the same poor 54 Mbps connection persists. I wish I could wait and see if future updates help, but don't want to gamble with ~$300 bucks. This device is going back to the store. If someone chimes in later with a fix confirmation, I might be tempted to try again.

P.S. Gary Key, I know of you from Anandtech, and offer you my kindest regards.

This is probably a configuration problem, since from what you describe you are connecting at 802.11g speeds. Make sure you use WPA2-AES for security, and that the Wifi mode is left to "Auto".

There's a thread on the Macrumors forums which sounds like a similar or same problem. Unfortunately, no one there seems to know what's wrong:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1765076&highlight=802+11ac

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!