What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U Can't Get Asuswrt-Merlin to work.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

M_JC

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an RT-AC87U and want to use Asuswrt-Merlin so that I can exclude some devices from my OpenVPN connection. I have flashed releases RT-AC87U_380.69_0 and RT-AC87U_380.68_4. Both are unstable the router constantly locks up and reboots. I have tried factory resets too for both release levels. When I flash back to the standard ASUS firmware RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_380_7743-g2cf84e9 everything works perfectly. I don't see anyone else having this problem so it must be something that I am doing. Can anyone make any suggestions?

First "idea": Factory Reset AND Power Cycle (should always go together). :eek:

I recall some similar issues when I started with my first AC87U: I did a factory reset AND power cycle and then a minimal config to allow flashing AGAIN!
The dual flashing with another Factory Reset and Power Cycle did the trick for me. :cool:

Since then the two devices are rock solid (on .65 version).

Hi Joegreat,

Fast reply - thanks. Did as you said and have been up now for 10 minutes or so without crashing so looking good. Unfortunately I went down to the .65-4 version like you so I can't be certain that it is because of the version or the way of flashing it. I am not about to try to upgrade to a later version for a while now this is working.

Thanks again.

Martin

Hi Joegreat,

Fast reply - thanks. Did as you said and have been up now for 10 minutes or so without crashing so looking good. Unfortunately I went down to the .65-4 version like you so I can't be certain that it is because of the version or the way of flashing it. I am not about to try to upgrade to a later version for a while now this is working.

Thanks again.

Martin

Where you loading any saved configurations from the stock Asus Firmware?

You need to manually re-enter all your previous saved settings. Otherwise that can cause problems.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Where you loading any saved configurations from the stock Asus Firmware?

You need to manually re-enter all your previous saved settings. Otherwise that can cause problems.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Hi djblade20354,

I tried all variations; even factory reset. I never got to set up my configuration as the router would reboot or freeze after a few seconds, never longer than a minute.

Been up on .65-4 for a few hours now. Got everything reconfigured. Working great but I don’t want to try a later version.

Is anyone running a version later than .65-4 on an RT AC87U?

Sure, .69 here. Up 4 1/2 days--I have a scheduled reboot every sunday.

You really should try .69 again. I haven't had reboot issues on any of the firmwares, but a lot of work has been done since .65, obviously.

Last edited: