What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U stepped into the 382 branch :D

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RejZoR

Regular Contributor
Just found out ASUS RT-AC87U received a 382 branch update. A hefty one in fact with lots of big fixes. Does this mean we'll in very near future see RT-AC87U moving from Legacy to the current branch? Can't wait coz I really like the work Merlin has done to the ASUS routers. :)

Just found out ASUS RT-AC87U received a 382 branch update. A hefty one in fact with lots of big fixes. Does this mean we'll in very near future see RT-AC87U moving from Legacy to the current branch? Can't wait coz I really like the work Merlin has done to the ASUS routers. :)
I'm sure @RMerlin will release a 382 version but I imagine it'll be a couple of weeks.

But I'll keep my eyes peeled as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

in very near future

No, not in the "very near future". Before that, I have to finalize the 380.69 security update, finalize the 384.3 release, analyze the new RT-AC87U GPL code and determine the feasibility of porting it, and how to do so if it can be done, and then to actually do it (again, if it can be done).

Yeah. Have to say I haven't had any problems with my 5GHz.

Have you factory reset or rebooted to see if that solves the problem.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Have you factory reset or rebooted to see if that solves the problem.
And: Do not forget to TURN OFF then device as part of the rest procedure!

What is THE 5 GHz problem? I have no one on my 2 AC87Us... :rolleyes:
Maybe the problem with the WPS not disabled for the 5 GHz although it is OFF in the GUI?.

I am in 380.68_4 and it it is still there. I have to cycle WPS OFF-ON-OFF to have it really OFF. And this means that each time I have a problem with the power supply it stays ON .... without notice.

Or maybe the problem with the Guest network allowing access to the intranet for the 5 GHz band although switched off in the GUI?

It is a problem in the Quantenna part, but Merlin has stated that the driver has not been changed, so ...

Maybe the problem with the WPS not disabled for the 5 GHz although it is OFF in the GUI?.

I am in 380.68_4 and it it is still there. I have to cycle WPS OFF-ON-OFF to have it really OFF. And this means that each time I have a problem with the power supply it stays ON .... without notice.

Or maybe the problem with the Guest network allowing access to the intranet for the 5 GHz band although switched off in the GUI?

It is a problem in the Quantenna part, but Merlin has stated that the driver has not been changed, so ...
I picked up this script on the forums, called in services-start
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#############################################################################################################################################
#                                                             DisableWPS.sh                                                                    #
#    This script is used to ensure that WPS is disabled on the router. WPS is insecure and therefore it is disabled. This script is             #
#    required as Asus code sometimes re-enables WPS after a router reboot.                                                                    #
#                                                                                                                                            #
#############################################################################################################################################

if [ "$(nvram get wl0_wps_mode)" != "disabled" ] || [ "$(nvram get wps_enable)" != "0" ] || [ "$(nvram get wps_enable_x)" != "0" ];then        #check nvram variables for current WPS state
   sleep 5
   nvram set wl0_wps_mode=disabled
   nvram set wps_enable=0
   nvram set wps_enable_x=0
   nvram commit                                                                                                                                #commit settings to persitent nvram
   logger -s "WPS has been disabled by $0"
   service restart_wireless                                                                                                                    #restart Wireless service to make changes effective
fi

Or you simple check if it's disabled in NVRAM:
chief@RT-AC87U:/tmp/# nvram show | grep wps_mode
wps_modelname=Wi-Fi Protected Setup Router
wl0.1_wps_mode=disabled
wl0.2_wps_mode=disabled
wl0.3_wps_mode=disabled
wl_wps_mode=disabled
wl1.1_wps_mode=disabled
wl1.2_wps_mode=disabled
wl1.3_wps_mode=disabled
wl0_wps_mode=disabled
wl1_wps_mode=disabled
wl2_wps_mode=disabled

In my case it is - and there are more NVRAM values then in the script... :cool:

Last edited:
Or you simple check if it's disabled in NVRAM:
chief@RT-AC87U:/tmp/mnt/ac87u/entware-ng.arm/etc/init.d# nvram show | grep wps_mode
wps_modelname=Wi-Fi Protected Setup Router
wl0.1_wps_mode=disabled
wl0.2_wps_mode=disabled
wl0.3_wps_mode=disabled
wl_wps_mode=disabled
wl1.1_wps_mode=disabled
wl1.2_wps_mode=disabled
wl1.3_wps_mode=disabled
wl0_wps_mode=disabled
wl1_wps_mode=disabled
wl2_wps_mode=disabled

In my case it is - and there are more NVRAM values then in the script... :cool:
The issue is that a while back Asus code would cause the nvram variables to reset overnight, and while the GUI looked to show disabled, it wasn't. From what I can see, disabling the parent wps mode stops the guest networks wps_mode too - if these are even set ever!

Interesting. This script should be in the main code ...

Apart from these two nuisances, I am happy with the RT AC87U, and I would be more happy if ASUS keeps the FW in line with the other routers and Merlin then can join it to the 384 branch. :(
I understand that Aimesh is interesting, but for many people (like me) is useless, so having ASUS stopping the development only due to that is a nonsense ...