What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since you’re running stock firmware, this would be a prime opportunity to report the issues you’ve noted to ASUS using the Feedback tab.

Yes, this is what I did with the previous 388 firmware. I need to play with this one a bit more.

Last edited:
Still holding 160 MHz?
Nope. In spite of a good start with the new firmware several things went south. Suspect we were overflown by a medical chopper and the 5 GHz went to an upper channel at 80 MHz and stayed there. Had some connection issues so went back to a 386 version. Sorry.
Other than working with the router, which was a downer, I did get two Blue Bird houses built for next spring!

What happens to VPN connection assigned devices in VPN Fusion if the VPN tunnel is down? I don't see how to simulate VPN down condition and test it.

This one:

1669434523226.png

What's the experience here? There is no VPN kill switch option.

Hey!
I just got the file to flash, but... there's something that I feel isn't right...

Look at the file name of the upload file it grabs from Asus server/s.

What is this?! Look at the whole file name, after ...21709.

Thanks for all advises!
Best Regards,
Mikael

Attachments

• 3912A54D-1E60-40D8-80AF-40ED0A708CBD.jpeg
    3912A54D-1E60-40D8-80AF-40ED0A708CBD.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 137
Nope. In spite of a good start with the new firmware several things went south. Suspect we were overflown by a medical chopper and the 5 GHz went to an upper channel at 80 MHz and stayed there. Had some connection issues so went back to a 386 version. Sorry.
Other than working with the router, which was a downer, I did get two Blue Bird houses built for next spring!
LOL. I guess I will be staying on 386_46061 until I get a new router. ☹️

Efficient use of caching in RAM is a feature, not a bug. "Managing" it can be improved, but it shouldn't be at the cost of efficient caching, it should enhance it.
After updating my RT-AX86U with this new updated firmware, the Plex client cache send to refill slightly faster. Slight but noticable. I'll take whatever I can get

I don't see how to simulate VPN down condition and test it.

Tested* - switches back to Default Connection like nothing happened. Not reliable option.

* - of course I can cut the VPN port on my firewall. On two drinks I didn't see how though... :)

Sped Test crashing again:

1669562941615.png

Nothing in logs. Just crashes and next time you try it it works again.

I guess I’ll ask…anyone have different behavior with 160MHz? Or same behavior as the last 3 updates?
It's a hassle to keep an eye on every version of new firmware, so I choose Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5.2, which works fine at 160MHz.
By the way, Adaptive QoS of 386.46061 does not work.

It's a hassle to keep an eye on every version of new firmware, so I choose Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5.2, which works fine at 160MHz.
By the way, Adaptive QoS of 386.46061 does not work.
I don’t use QoS so that’s not a big concern. I used to use Merlin’s firmware, and it’s good stuff, but it contains a lot of bells and whistles that I don’t use or need. Simple is usually better, but maybe I’ll give it a try again.

Put this on yesterday. Given my issues with the last firmware I hope this one works out. So far no issues.

Adaptive QoS of 386.46061 does not work.

Seems like working on this firmware with both IPv4 and IPv4/IPv6 configurations. At least the up/down speed is correct according to Manual settings and the latency below line saturation is lower. I don't know how well it recognizes and categorizes the traffic, but it does something.

Seems like working on this firmware with both IPv4 and IPv4/IPv6 configurations. At least the up/down speed is correct according to Manual settings and the latency below line saturation is lower. I don't know how well it recognizes and categorizes the traffic, but it does something.
When you download, watch the download speed in bandwidth monitor, is it correct? If the displayed download speed is extremely low, Adaptive QoS is not working properly.

A warning for people with IPv6 enabled though - don't enable IPv4 Inbound firewall rules!

1669613730146.png

More about the issue here:

After playing with 160Mhz I found New firmware will fall back to 80Mhz when no 160Mhz client connect to. It will switch to 160Mhz when a 160Mhz client connected. Enable 160Mhz and set the channel to Auto. Njoy!

Anyone experience issues with the 5GHZ band dropping? Hoping this release will fix that for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!