What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Might be a good idea to go through this exercise myself at some point. Everything is working well but I didn't keep a record of what I changed from defaults when I first set it up. So recording the current settings then resetting to defaults would give me a baseline and I could generate a record of past changes by comparison.

What don't you understand about default settings.

What I understand is that you use some Asus apps with your router and https access to GUI may have been enabled automatically. Slow GUI comes when you have https access with no certificate installed. Default GUI with http access only is pretty fast. What I don't understand is the attitude. Drinking?

Firewall issue?

Hello! It was discovered in 388.1 beta thread and coming from Asuswrt, present in this build. Information above in this very same thread.

What I understand is that you use some Asus apps with your router and https access to GUI may have been enabled automatically. Slow GUI comes when you have https access with no certificate installed. Default GUI with http access only is pretty fast. What I don't understand is the attitude. Drinking?

Hello! It was discovered in 388.1 beta thread and coming from Asuswrt, present in this build. Information above in this very same thread.
So you are wrong again. The app does not turn on https by itself but needs operator intervention. The firewall rules suspected issue has been around since the beta and I did not mention turning it on.
When you take your AX86U off of the shelf and use it your input may be valued. Since you seem to be a negative person I really doubt it.

Enjoy the slow GUI you're getting for unknown reason then. Use all settings on default and it is what it is. My AX86U was purchased for testing purposes only. I never had any intentions to use it for anything else. Seems like I'm wasting my time testing new firmware releases.

Last edited:
A warning for people with IPv6 enabled though - don't enable IPv4 Inbound firewall rules!

View attachment 45822

More about the issue here:

Thankfully I don't have IPv6 enabled!

So I tried the auto channel as stated earlier in the thread for the 160hz always dropping to the 80 hz fix, and the dumb butt router chose 161. LMAO, smh.

NOW, I did just update the new firmware and set the auto 20,40,80,160 and locked ch. 36. Knock on fukn wood, it's been 15 minutes and we still locking strong on 160hz!! Cripes, could it be an early Christmas miracle?

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't tag it correctly on my post... It's still locking 160hz 10 hours in here. I did update the firmware, manually set the channel and ran 20/40/80/160, kept it at wpa2 / wpa3.

Knock on wood, so far so good. Insane testing speeds on my AX devices... Testing between 800-900 down:cool: on my gig wifi again!

Sorry, I didn't tag it correctly on my post... It's still locking 160hz 10 hours in here. I did update the firmware, manually set the channel and ran 20/40/80/160, kept it at wpa2 / wpa3.

Knock on wood, so far so good. Insane testing speeds on my AX devices... Testing between 800-900 down:cool: on my gig wifi again!
Try disconnect all 160Mhz client, wait 2 minutes than reconnect . Hope its still locking 160Mhz

Good to hear. I am back to auto channel and my primary channel has been at 36 or 40 off and on for a couple of days. My 5 GHz drops back to 80 MHz at night. When the 160 MHz clients connect in the morning the bandwidth goes back to 160 MHz and stays there all day.

It freakn dumped to 80 again. UGH, I'll try auto channel in case it's some odd bug, but if it goes to some non 160hz capable channel, I'm gonna start yelling at my router.

I'm connected through 2.5 ports modem to router, so when it dumps to 80 my speed tests average 525-625, when it's locked 160hz I can get anywhere from 700-900+ testing windows

It freakn dumped to 80 again. UGH, I'll try auto channel in case it's some odd bug, but if it goes to some non 160hz capable channel, I'm gonna start yelling at my router.

I'm connected through 2.5 ports modem to router, so when it dumps to 80 my speed tests average 525-625, when it's locked 160hz I can get anywhere from 700-900+ testing windows
Sounds like you really do not have anything to complain about. Many of my friends in my area still have DSL at 20/1 or less bandwidth.

I hear you cluckn big chicken, but it's frustrating when you can't maximize your set up like before. Tis frustrating.

Last edited:

Sounds like the behavior of all the last few versions unfortunately.

I just want my router to provide me with the settings I tell it. I’m using the version released in Jan (386_46061) and have it set to 160 and it just stays there, regardless of what clients are actually connected. That’s what I want.

I’d take the router going to 80 when no 160 capable clients are connected, but then it should reliably go back to 160 when one does connect.

Starting to consider other brands of routers. I shouldn’t have to sacrifice security staying on older firmware.

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I reconfigured my trusty AC87U and have been rock solid for 24 hours but obviously not good from vulnerability standpoint, AX86U is best experimental right now or a POS. Maybe I should go back to 386_46061 or 386_5.2 Merlin. Currently have AX86U/Asus FW hooked up as secondary to AC87U via cable and different network to monitor logs next 24 hours. Let me know if I can run some scenarios to help with debugging this pos. Irks me that a flagship product does this. my primary issue is reboot after losing 5ghz channel.

so i actually havent had any issues with this now that things have settled. I've been running without reboots for 7 days now. no 5ghz drops.

Sounds like the behavior of all the last few versions unfortunately.

I just want my router to provide me with the settings I tell it. I’m using the version released in Jan (386_46061) and have it set to 160 and it just stays there, regardless of what clients are actually connected. That’s what I want.

I’d take the router going to 80 when no 160 capable clients are connected, but then it should reliably go back to 160 when one does connect.

Starting to consider other brands of routers. I shouldn’t have to sacrifice security staying on older firmware.
I have a hard time understanding why some routers of the same model number do not function the same. My AX86U faithfully switches between 80 and 160 MHz with the WIFI settings at default with no DFS. I live in a development where the houses are not too close to one another and we seldom get low flying aircraft. All of us are on either FIOS or cable and all of my neighbors, except one, know nothing about configuring a router so their routers auto choose channels. The 2.4 GHz band is a mess with routers overlapping channels set to 40 MHz. I still advocate using auto channel/auto bandwidth and letting the router run to learn its environment. Factory reset after upgrade is also a good idea.

just to confirm is pressing WPS button to hard reset is sufficient, there is also a reset button in the back and from within GUI. what's the best way to ensure its hard reset. Does AX86U has the 30-30-30 seconds sequence like AC68U used to?

Last January's update was the last one that really held and locked 160hz, and if it did switch out to 80 it would re-grab 160hz as needed. It's been a mess since that January 2022 firmware...THIS new firmware holds a bit longer on 160hz, but I'm not getting more than a day out of it and it's back to 80hz with no self correction back to 160hz. I have 6 AX clients that I'd love to max out across my 2.5 ports...I know first world problems, but I bought the modem and router to max things out to offset the wifi overhead. Bummed it's so finnicky.

just to confirm is pressing WPS button to hard reset is sufficient, there is also a reset button in the back and from within GUI. what's the best way to ensure its hard reset. Does AX86U has the 30-30-30 seconds sequence like AC68U used to?

Asus routers never used the 30-30-30 reset method.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

And if it doesn't fully reset (i.e. work as expected) after doing the above, the consecutive use of all reset methods to fully reset the router may be needed.

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!